Milton Keynes Marathon

1,281 to 1,300 of 1,329 messages
02/05/2012 at 15:15

Thanks for the congrats Tenjiso, appreciate it

As my original goal was sub 3 which was scuppered by both the weather and maybe slightly underestimating the effort required (it was my marathon debut - I've run for many years including two sub 1:24 halfs in the last 12 months so thought I'd prepared reasonably well but I did find it tough regardless of the conditions), I am now really tempted to enter London to have another go at it - I would also guess that London is a slightly faster course as there would be a lot less 90' turns/ups/downs due to the numerous MK underpasses? (Not to mention the floodwater!)

Anyway I'm going to give the legs a chance to recover properly (am feeling a lot beter today) before making any firm decisions - hope evrybody else who ran is recovering from the effort!

Cheers

Dave 

02/05/2012 at 17:16

Dave

It was my 2nd marathon, 1st was London last year and I hoped then to get under 3:10, it went woefully wrong on the day, thought i was prepared too!

I would reccomend the book Advanced Marathoning, it is technical and i had to re-read some bits several times to understand. However I stuck closely to all the principles in the book and the training schedules and it got me round in sub 3. I haven't gone under 1:24 for a half yet (though i think thats there to be smashed) so you have the speed.

Lots of good schedules out there too though, and the sub 3 forum on this site has some very helpful people

02/05/2012 at 17:34

Thanks for the advice ON7, I've heard that book being recommended before so I'm definately going to check it out (after a rest!) - I'm also seriously considering joining my local running club for some coaching advice.

If you ran sub 3 in those conditions on Sunday I seriously suspect you have a sub 1:20 half in you on a good fast course, any plans to give one a go?

02/05/2012 at 17:59

Dave: I think a fast half will probably be my main target for the rest of the year. No plans as to which yet, like you I need a rest!

Get yourself along to a club, they would be delighted to have you join.

Edited: 02/05/2012 at 17:59
02/05/2012 at 18:01

Hi all,

this was my second marathon and I really enjoyed! I made PB by two and half minutes,although my first marathon (dubai,in January) I run it with a calf strain.

Too bad for the detour,but I made the time for VLM for my age group, so for me mission accomplished.

I felt very well troughout the race and had two perfect splits (few seconds from each other).The weather bothered me before the start, but once I got going I had no problem,also because my previous sports before I took running was cycling,and trust me you catch a lot of cold wind and water...

Someone asked why many runners were working hard to skip the puddles.I speak for myself,however I think a common reason is that you don't know what the surface look like underwater, you could run over a stone or hole hidden under water.I also prefere to keep my feet dry and warm for as long as possible.Beside that water is heavy,and having to run over 42k with your feet and socks full of water is not the smartest thing to do. 

I don't share some of critics to te organizers: the weather was awful and some caos started to develop around the stadium before the start,however the start was given in time,and i had no issue on the course,with the marshalls always in the right place giving the right directions.

My only two critics are for the fact that after the finish there was no kind of support especially in a day like that foil blankets should be available.The second had me almost losing it was the baggage pick after the race.Needles to say I had to jump on the truck to get my bag after 20 minutes waiting under torrential rain.

I hope i get a place in VLM next year if not I'll be back.I like the course,although that hill on mile 20 something had me cursing the organizers

02/05/2012 at 22:20
My first marathon and certainly won't be my last. At 4:29:26 just snuck in under my target of 4:30 which felt good.

Up until trying to enter stadium all pre race entry, organisation, info etc had been excellent. Stadium access was poorly thought out though the weather no doubt exacerbated the situation.

How anyone can criticise the marshalls or volunteers is beyond me, they were all fantastically helpful and supportive.

The corporate relay was a pain in the a**e especially the muppet at the first change over who wandered across the route forcing several runners to either stop or take evasive action.

The idea of finishing in a stadium is great and was inspiring but they need to have a proper finish line next year. Do away with the goody bags and have people handout the medals as you walk around the rest of the pitch.

I did learn one valuable lesson which is don't let the wife influence what running gear you pack. The long sleeved top, jacket, gloves and hat made it out of but then back into the drawer and consequently never left southend but the shorts and sleeveless vest did! Oh well as they say what doesn't break you makes you stronger!!!
03/05/2012 at 06:50

@Mark W. Agree, Marshalls were excellent.

I don't let my wife anywhere near my sports gear.I even wash it myself,never mind packing it!

On anything else she rules,but not on this one.If I'd listened to her on Sunday I would be wearing the same gear as you did.....

03/05/2012 at 07:03

My Garmin and the orignal time were identical so I'll go with that regardless (no where near GFA so not an issue).  Agree about the 0.23 miles as my watch read 7.25 miles at 7 miles.

Always best to look after your own gear

03/05/2012 at 07:33
Mine were one second apart. But distance 25.93
03/05/2012 at 10:21

First proper run without any pain this morning so all good.

What's everyone doing for sending in GFA evidence, is a print-out of the Power of 10 rankings good enough?

03/05/2012 at 10:31
Hi Ross - I was going to do that, but on the race photo site you can download a certificate, so think i'm going to print that out and send in instead!
03/05/2012 at 10:38
I am pretty pleased that my garmin (305) remained reasonably accurate, given that it was covered by my jacket throughout the race. I had lost a bit of confidence in it for pacing, but this was because I didn't understand why I was three minutes out when I checked at mile 8. It's my best running friend again, now I know why that happened.

My legs have recovered really well since the race. I'm trying to stay disciplined and treat this as "walking week".
03/05/2012 at 10:53

I am more shoched that my 405 still works & it was over my jacket...

I wish I had stretched out straight afterwards as am still having problems with the stairs.  Hoping to run saturday & play  footy sunday...!

03/05/2012 at 11:07
Footy!!!! Brave man Liam

Going for 3 mile jog tonight. Then training starts again in earnest at the weekend
03/05/2012 at 11:12

Hi all - my training has already started again, 5 miles yesterday and the same this morning tomorrow off and then 14 on Saturday, it is only 10 weeks until my ultra so the mileage really starts to go up now.

I personally dont care about the extra distance, just finishing and getting my medal in the conditions we experienced was enough, and I managed a 30 second pb so all good for me.

MarkD - what is your next challenge

03/05/2012 at 11:16
I agree, not really bothered about the extra length as I wasn't going (or near capable!) of a GFA time. I guess I can reduce my 3.54.26 to around 3.52 (in my head at least..) and make 3.45 a nice target for the next one.

Time to find a cheap half marathon to enter and work on my speed I think.
03/05/2012 at 11:19
Spen. Not as big as your next one that's for sure. Gonna tone down the running and concentrate on building some strength over next few weeks. Couple of halves. Wycombe and maidenhead then eye balls out attempt to break 3.15 at Abingdon in October. Gonna use the P&D upto 75 mile plan. I respond better to higher mileage plans. Might look at a small Ultra next year if the wife allows it. Any suggestions around the 40 mile mark ? Just to dip my toe in the water
03/05/2012 at 11:22
MarkD - good luck in your training, I am sure you will get the result at Abingdon, for a small ultra I would suggest the Grim Reaper 40, it is the same course for the 70 and 100, you dont do as many laps, the laps are about 10 miles, and are through a country estate with a mixture of terrain, but mostly roads.
03/05/2012 at 11:36
Did a session on the cross trainer last night and was fine. Going running with club tonight. Doing a 10k race on Monday.
03/05/2012 at 15:18

4 miles smooth for me tonight - if Mrs Cooks stamps my pass of course!

1,281 to 1,300 of 1,329 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.