Milton Keynes Marathon

1 to 20 of 1,329 messages
28/06/2011 at 23:19
Really looking forward to this one as I live in MK. Have also entered the London Marathon ballot so if I get in maybe do both, 2 marathons in a week...mmmm
29/06/2011 at 07:00

Hammer1,

See this thread LINK

30/09/2011 at 17:19

Folks - I guess this thread will pick up at some point. I just entered having missed the VLM ballot yet again but with a bright red fleece instead...

Can someone confirm what the profile of this race is? The description says "Flat" but it's hard to imagine 26 miles of Flat in those parts.

01/10/2011 at 12:49

only 6000 places. What are my chaces of coming last?  Quite high methinks!!!

01/10/2011 at 14:08
SL - it depends on your definition of a hill!  There are rises out of underpasses but the only real up would be if climbing into the City Centre from the canal
02/10/2011 at 22:01

My "hill" definition is subjective I guess ... if you know the routes for the Marlow and Wokingham Halfs (Halves?), then the former is "hilly" and the latter is "flat" to me. I've done both 2/3 times. Plus a 5m incline looks mountainous after 20 miles of running.

03/10/2011 at 07:12
As a London reject I've entered.  We are making this one of our club runs.  I'm not sure if I have the motivation to get round 26.2 without lots of fancy dress and cheering crowds, but more than willing to give it a go. 
03/10/2011 at 21:15
I've just entered this as my first ever marathon. I've been running for 6 months and am completely addicted. How do I go about preparing? I can do 1 long run a week, 1 short session and maybe a couple of 60-90 minute sessions. It is quite hilly where I live.
04/10/2011 at 16:44
I missed out on VLM dissapointed after first one this year but now excited of the thought of training and competeing in first MK marathon. to the "hiily" blog person, lol your training sounds good I trained myself pre VLM and did two to three times a week 5mile and every 6weeks a long one then three month before a 15, 17 and 20 miler resting mostly two weeks beofre with lots of stretches. New trainers were needed after many miles and also bought some shin skins excellent!!! I had no problems ate well and di it in 5.21 dissapointed I was but heat and got stcuk behind people so slwed me down (did my 20 pre marathon 20 miler in 3.50 with LOTS of hill) I have the bug and aim to do a marathon every year until im forty which will be a lot incase anyone is wondering!!LOL good luck everyone.
05/10/2011 at 10:04

Hilly - have a look at the RunnersWorld Marathon training guide section http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/big-marathon-index/7355.html

05/10/2011 at 21:11
Thanks for all the advice. I'm hoping that doing plenty of hill work will make the mk run seem much easier. There's hardly a flat run around here.
07/10/2011 at 14:26

Hi Guys,

Ive just entered. Have done london before, brighton twice and am doing abingdon sunday 16th oct (very soon). Plenty of experience, but it never seems to make it any easier. Hope this forum picks up soon although I think there might be another one going on at the same time!!!

Samantha, Im over 40 (just) and am still running marathons everyr. Once u have the bug it is hard to lose it. Keep it going oh to be young!!!!

Good luck everyone, happy training this weekend. 

07/10/2011 at 18:37
Thanks stephen elkan have a bug to always do gd times sure ill carry on just a task until im 40!
11/10/2011 at 19:42
Hello all

I'm interested in doing this but have heard that the underpasses may be hard work. If anyone local could advise how many there are and whether they could be an issue, I'd appreciate it

Thanks
12/10/2011 at 07:44

The underpasses will be sharp, short downs and then ups. One or two won't be a problem but in the 2nd half they will take their toll on the legs!

How many? I guess that depends on the route and is the route actually confirmed? Not unusual for event organsiers to publish a provisional/to be agreed route and then come up with a completely different route 2 weeks before the event because they couldn't get approval from the local authorites (eg, Sussex Marathon).

12/10/2011 at 13:23
Thanks Sean G
12/10/2011 at 14:21

Hi all

I'm in for this and very much looking fwd to it!

Sean - there is an official looking route on the website, assume that it won't change but you may have a point  Not being local I have no idea how many underpasses it means but someone on the other thread (link early on in this thread) mentioned that it's pretty flat................

Looking fwd to the roar of the crowd in the stadium!

27/10/2011 at 21:08

I'm in!  Only done one marathon so far - London last year - and need to prove I can go round in a better time (with fewer loo stops....!)  Have been out of action for a while with one thing or another and also injury.  need now to get back into training.   To all training for this, enjoy it!

28/10/2011 at 16:26

regarding the underpasses...

I have run quite a few events (mostly half marathons) in and around MK on the redways and underpasses and I cannot recall any particularly steep drops and climbs.  

28/10/2011 at 16:38

Giving this a bit more thought...  The height of the underpasses is about 2.5m (they are to enable pedestrians and cyclists to 'cross' busy roads; not for vehicles) and the lead in and out is about 50m so that gives a 5% gradient.  This would be significant over half a mile or so but over 100m probably not.  They might cause a bit of bother towards the end of the race for runners who are tiring but there won't be all that many of them anyway (underpasses, not runners who are tiring!!).

Don't get too hung up on the underpasses; this marathon is generally over fairly flat terrain and certainly has PB potential.

1 to 20 of 1,329 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.