Mince Pie 10

21 to 40 of 56 messages
04/12/2002 at 16:05
No. 92 folks - wearing forum vest.
04/12/2002 at 16:23
I'll be the very old one. Doing this race instead of going training!
I'll see if I can find a way of identifying myself - without frightening the locals.
JJ
04/12/2002 at 16:24
..unfortunatey I cannot so Sunday now (domestic duties with late start at 11am), hope you guys have a good one. I'm forced to do a early morning 15 miler instead ;-(
If I'm back in time might come and watch the start...know some of you are doing Paris as well so would be good to meet...
05/12/2002 at 10:03
Doing this one - but have you seen the weather forecast for Sunday? Temperature around 5C and p***ing down. Lovely stuff especially on the off road bit with wet chalk. Think I might run in my rugby boots.
06/12/2002 at 08:50
Never mind 5C, I just saw on the weather report that with the windchill it might be minus 4C! In which case, it might even snow. Hmm...got to re-think what I might wear. May even need to get the gloves out.
06/12/2002 at 09:09
and the hat, fleece, thermals, face mask etc. Will probably end up looking like Michelin man. Forecast this a.m. also now saying possible snow showers in south east on Saturday night but as this race is close to the sea, chance of snow is reduced - more likley sleet. Luvverley!
06/12/2002 at 11:52
You and everyone else methinks.
06/12/2002 at 14:06
You might freeze your pernickity butt off if you don't!
07/12/2002 at 09:46
Allegedly -5 wind chill factor!!!!!! Nice!
08/12/2002 at 13:52
Apart from being cold and a little damp, I thought this mornings race was good fun. Is that the view from others? I saw you Pernickity, you were a little ahead of me at the start..would have yelled but was having problem with HRM settling down and din't want to peak too soon! My time was 1:16:19. How did everyone else do?
08/12/2002 at 18:00
Well done Cheeky, far faster than me. 1hr 53 for me, but I got round and didn't suffer. It wasn't too cold either, in fact just right for running I thought. Testing course and I liked those hills, short and sharp, much better than long pulls.

Even managed to go for right clothing, which makes a change. Didn't see any of you, but lots of tall thin men in shorts, always worrying!!I did think that last mile went on forever. I thought I had missed the turning at one point. But good to see cheerful and supportive marshalls.
08/12/2002 at 18:09
Dips, I agree with you, weather was pretty spot on. I thought the mile markers were slightly suspect and I never saw the one for 8...It is amazing how many people still run in shorts and a vest on these days, maybe its me, but I had tights, long sleeve and hat on!!! Like to keep warm! I agree with you Dips, thought the marshalls did a brilliant job and plenty of them!

Do you know if they post the results anywhere or send them or otherwise?

Do any of you shop at RUN or know Kurt? He won it today in under an hour apparently! That's definitely going some, especially on that course!
08/12/2002 at 18:19
Mmmmmm know the RUN shop well, fast mover that Kurt!! Can just about manage a 10k in that time!!!

I saw mile markers up to the 3 mile then nothing until 8 and 9. Infact saw the 9 on the way out too. Not sure about the results, will keep an eye on their website.

Nice gentle women only race next week, Worthing Seafront if you know any females who may be interested.
08/12/2002 at 18:42
That was a little too muddy for me -- I should have worn my old shoes! Ended up running it in about 1hr 43 or 44.
Just missed the start by seconds. That was me on the left that everyone ran past at the beginning. I joined in at the end of the group. Hadn't adjusted my shoes properly (because I wasn't ready for the start) so had to stop after about a mile and tighten them up. Otherwise had a good run. The joy of being at the back as passing people as you run and being in front of them at the finish.
What were the little slips of paper being handed out at the end? I finished right behind someone and didn't get one.
08/12/2002 at 20:57
I found this hilly run quite challenging; add in the sharp temperature and slippery surfaces, and you couldn't deny you hadn't had a good blow.

After a heavy training week with 25 miles in the last four days, I settled for jogging round today - think it was about 90 mins., but really was just pleased to get my mince pie and have a shower, then home to a warm house and sofa.

Well organised & cheerful marshalls (I saw all the mile markers) - nice little running club.
08/12/2002 at 21:00
BTW - the bits of paper being given out were the spot prizes.
08/12/2002 at 22:41
After just watching Sports Personality of the Year and seeing it go to Paula Radcliffe, It's enough to make you want to go and do it all again....Well, maybe not tonight!

Looks like everyone had a good run today....I think that's it for this year apart from a couple of ladies races...
09/12/2002 at 08:55
hhmmn - 'apart from a couple of ladies races'.

I can see now why you've called yourself 'Cheeky' - don't you think you'll be rumbled in the post race shower?

09/12/2002 at 09:15
I did it! I actually finished my first race!

I'm so proud - even if it did take me 1hr and 50something minutes. apparently results will be on their web site today sometime.

Well done everyone that finished.
09/12/2002 at 09:22
This was your first race??

You clearly don't believe in easing your way into life's little challenges then Elaine.
21 to 40 of 56 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.