Mizuno Reading Half Marathon

141 to 143 of 143 messages
13/04/2012 at 21:46

Just downloaded GPS details, it claims I hit just under 40mph at 45 mins (must have been just before 10k as I got 47 something for that) and then over 30mph at 47:21, which was probably as I crossed the line.

Definitely something funky on the course, or my watch yet it's never done that before nor since!

26/03/2015 at 15:59

interesting posts - my Garmin came in at 21.3km, no problems with it and had hit all my split times.

The weird thing is take a look at the official split times for everyone from first place down in the race results - the 20km splits don't seem to make sense when compared to the finish times. It's as if everyone went 20% slower in that last 1.1km (the opposite of what i saw on the day), which suggests either the 20km split marker was in the wrong place, or the course was 200m long...

27/03/2015 at 13:31

Will, the rest of the posts here are three years old, and the course has changed since then, so don't read too much into that.

The 20km mat will have been out (potentially also earlier mats).  They don't take the same care with placement of intermediate mats as they will do with the overall length - my splits come out a little funny every year, but the overall distance is fine.

I have no doubt that the course length was accurate.  Once you're into the twists and turns of the town centre, with a few tall buildings around you, and the university campus, that will easily be enough to throw GPS watches off.  Depending on where you are in the race, you may not be able to run the racing line either due to the amount of other runners.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 143 of 143 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.