Moonwalk Marathon 20th May 2006

Power Walking for Breast Cancer

1 to 20 of 526 messages
The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/11/2005 at 15:44
The Moonwalk Marathon and Half Marathon will be taking place on May 20th.

There is no priority entries, and they open tomorrow 30th November.

Entries close 23rd Dec if not before.

See the Walk The Walk Website for entry information as of tomorrow.

I will probably do this, anyone else?
29/11/2005 at 16:24
Too late for this year so will try again for next.
29/11/2005 at 16:25
Yes, I,m going to try or it. Will probably try and enter online early tomorrow.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/11/2005 at 16:26
same here
my entry was too late
did it in 2003 and 2004 so I will be checking it out tomorrow too!
29/11/2005 at 20:56
I would really like to do this.

I just have a few questions for anyone who's done it before -- Does everyone walk?, about how long does it take?, what sort of training would be involved? I can currently run 10K and am training for half mara in April - would anything extra be necessary to help me walk the 26 miles?
29/11/2005 at 20:59
yes

5-7/8 hours

some long walks (up to 20-24miles)would help you with the extra 13 miles after the half mara

there are some training schedules on the website

walking 26 miles thu the night is a challenge ( especially if you havent done the distance before)
29/11/2005 at 21:27
nope
too much on
30/11/2005 at 07:10
Tried to enter, but application process not starting until this afternoon.
Mrs Viking    pirate
30/11/2005 at 09:11
Me and my mate are doing it, sat here now waiting for entries to open
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/11/2005 at 11:17
loobyloo
personally I have done this twice and never trained for it
if you can run a half you can walk this
it is totally walking, running not allowed
I won't be doing any training for it
decorating my bra and turning up will be my preparation!
30/11/2005 at 11:37
Waiting......
H.
30/11/2005 at 12:54
Anyone fancy a walking partner? None of my so called friends want to do it (26 miles through the night - can't think why!)Don't fancy going it alone though. Where's Victoria Wood when you need her...

Oh have done a few marathons circa 4 hours so am at decent? fitness level...
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/11/2005 at 13:17
H both times I have done this forumites have gathered together on the night so I am sure you won't be alone!
and even if you are there is 12000 others with you so you aren't if that makes sense!
30/11/2005 at 13:22
I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to convince various friends that this would be fun... (most of them are non-runners, and I'm sure they think I'm some kind of crazy woman for wanting to do such a thing!)

I might enrol anyway and use it as a good chance to meet some other forumites, and as EP says, with 12000 people there I'm not going to be short of company!
Mrs Viking    pirate
30/11/2005 at 13:38
Still waiting for entries to open.

I have looked at the Training plan on the walkthe walk website and it looks ok but I am also doing Liverpool half this year so I am hoping the training for that will help carry me through!

It would be great to have a forumite meet prior to the start.

Is it too early to start a list yet????
30/11/2005 at 13:42
Read a news article this morning that was advertising a Scottish Moonwalk to take place in June next year.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/11/2005 at 13:45
RB you don't need to train
the plans are for people who do bugger all already or are race walking and looking at 4-5hrs for the full marathon

me in 2004:
training for FLM
14m run in Jan
Hurty foot
physio say no running for 2-3mths
walking hurts
Moonwalk in May
I did 1 walk for it and that was 7m
finished in 7hrs 40ish (can't remember the exact time!) and that was with having a couple of bad sulky patches and a 20min loo break due to queue!
i'm not a fast runner, good runner or a proper racer

it is a long night because you have to be there for about 9 (from memory) and the 1s wave goes off at 11.
it's very party whilst you are at the start and for the 1st few miles, but as people spread out it gets quiet.
I'm doing this to better my time, get some decent walking in fitness wise and raise money for a good cause.
Mrs Viking    pirate
30/11/2005 at 14:21
EP sounds good, I reckoned on 8 hours anyway so the half marathon training should help be achieve that anyway.

I think the notes say we meet in Hyde park around 7pm, I think that is a bit of an early get together before the start of a race but the photos on the site certainly look like its a party atmosphere.

Is it warm enough to warm round in our bra all evening or do you wear a t-shirt under it?

Im not a good/fast runner or proper race either but you will see that when we are at Trailplus lol!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
30/11/2005 at 14:25
RP
the twice I have done this the entry fee was £35
sounds a lot but for this you get:
Bra (plan white to decorate!)
tee (birght pink bra printed on the front!)
baseball hate (coloured depending on start and reflective for safety - must be worn)
long wool gloves (never worn them!)
food (pasta or rice + heavenly gorgeous lush flapjack!)

Take a top incase the weather turns
2003 I wore a cardie open over my bra
2004 I started off in my tee but soon was in just my bra and sweating by the end!
Ye Olde Dragon    pirate
30/11/2005 at 14:46
'lo guys!!!!

I'm going to do this, this year. I am 'running' Paris Mara on April 9th, so should be right for this. Should stand me in good stead for the Trailwalk.

The entries are still not open - I'll keep trying. I'm thinking that if I get the train up on the day and can catch up with some sleep on the train home the following day.

Do we have a team??
1 to 20 of 526 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.