My marathon goal

A marathon on every continent by 40

13 messages
26/05/2005 at 13:49
I am sure many of you have a goal like this or similar. Basically, having done FLM this year, i thought i'd set myself the target of completing a marathon on every continent by the time i'm 40.

I'm 29 in October, have done FLM, doing Berlin in September, so that is Europe done.

Any recommendations for which ones i should do elsewhere in the world? Great Wall of China, Chicago or New York, Cape Town?
26/05/2005 at 14:59
Fantastic Milk - What a great challenge!!!!

I'm sure where ever you end up will be amazing :-)

26/05/2005 at 15:03
I think there's two separate Antartic ones.

marathonguide.com should be your guide for this :-)

You could do a marathon in Mumbai, that would do Asia. And I'm sure there's plenty in Oz.
26/05/2005 at 15:05
You gonna go for the Grand Slam and do the North Pole marathon too?
26/05/2005 at 15:15
the north pole marathon would be amazing, scarey and quite possibley life ending, not to mention expensive

but what a challenge
26/05/2005 at 15:17
All seven continents is part of my long term goal of '100 marathon club' membership

I would dearly love to make the North Pole my 100th!

Doubt I'll ever be able to afford it but no harm in dreaming eh?

Earth's Coolest Marathon
26/05/2005 at 15:34
A noble ambition. A runner round our neck of the woods is trying to run 26 marathons that each start with a different letter of the alphabet, e.g L for London not F for FLM. He might have problems with X, but says there are races in China beginning with X. Perhaps the 100 club members have already done this ?!
26/05/2005 at 15:56
Don't know of any in places beginning with x but, there is a marathon in Orlando called "Xtreme Marathon"

Might well be worth asking one of these fellows tho ..

100 marathon club

Dubai Dave    pirate
30/05/2005 at 13:36
Milk

Have so far done

Dubai, Abu Dhabi...Asia
Two Oceans & Comrades.. Africa
London, Beachy Head, Stockholm.. Europe
Melbourne.. Australia
New York.. North America

Now looking at Buenos Aires, Santiago, Rio or the one that really appeals the Inca Marathon to Machu Pichu (sorry about the spelling).

Recommend Marathonguide.com as a good source on dates etc... Good luck in your quest,

30/05/2005 at 18:38
Milk, if you've already FLM (Europe) why are you doing Berlin (also Europe)? Why not use up one of your slots on a US or African marathon? Instead of Berlin in September, you could do Chicago in October or NY in November.

How many continents are you thinking about? Different people have a different idea of what the continents are. I've read stuff that argues for anything from 4 to 7 continents.

To be honest, it's no enormous challenge to do Europe, Asia, Africa, North and South America, Australasia over 11 years. The only difficulty would be Antarctica, and the problem there is mainly financial. I think the fee for getting into the race is something like $5,000.

What about the North Pole? What continent is that on? That one is $14,000.

30/05/2005 at 21:47
RC,

FLM was my first marathon and i need the experience, i am also out of holidays for the year, and berlin is easy to get to and not so financially restricting as the others.

I had thought 7 continents, so i am just researching it now. I know that 6-7 marathons over 11 years aint that difficult in the greater scheme of things. But i needed a goal, it may well be that it'll change. But the finanicial element is the only thing keeping me from doing it sooner. I could probably max out my credit card and the them all in the next three years but that aint too wise ;)
30/05/2005 at 21:52
Dubai Dave - thaks thats great. the machu pichu ones looks fantastic, but I think i'd rather to that one walking ans appreciate the view. Also I had tought i might do the rio or buenos aires instead. Also like the look of the great wall of china one too.

As for north america, i was before injury due to do NYC last year, so there is some unfinished business there, so i think that will be next year.

I was in Cape Town over new year and the two oceans one looks amazing! The people we were staying with do the cycling challenge which i think uses the same route. It looks beautifl and i think is widely regarded as the most sceneic marathon in the world, so thats a definite.

31/05/2005 at 08:31
Sorry, that came out a bit dismissively. I meant it supportively - I'm sure it's quite a do-able target.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.