Neolithic Marathon 2014

21 to 35 of 35 messages
02/05/2014 at 17:50

Seb - My first time at the Neolithic but not my first mara, I've read somewhere if it's dry, which it should be unless the forecasters gets it wrong again,  road shoes are fine.

03/05/2014 at 07:42

Thanks Barry - that's was I was hoping for. I'm going out for my final 20 mins easy now - and feeling ready for the big one tomorrow. S.  

03/05/2014 at 07:54
Hi Seb

I did this Mara in road shoes last year and it was fine.

Good luck everyone! Enjoy the day.
03/05/2014 at 08:05

Thanks Jindalee! 

Great stuff Seb, did my last 2 mile run last night and excited about the big day! it still looks like it is going to stay dry. This is what I look like so if you spot me say hi 

http://connect.garmin.com/profile/AndyEscott

03/05/2014 at 12:30

Cheers Frogbmth - I sent you a Garmin connect with mugshot! I'll look out for you. And thanks to all for commenting on shoes. 

XX1
14/05/2014 at 13:51
Jindalee wrote (see)
I did it last year and the signage was fine.

Have fun!

How easy or difficult do you think it would be with no signage...  For example, if I wanted to do it, in whole or in part, as a training run?

XX1
14/05/2014 at 17:43

The live firing range could pose an issue! 

14/05/2014 at 17:50
XX1 wrote (see)
Jindalee wrote (see)
I did it last year and the signage was fine.

Have fun!

How easy or difficult do you think it would be with no signage...  For example, if I wanted to do it, in whole or in part, as a training run?

When I did it last year there were army patrol vehicles doing their patrols during the race. Not sure I would have liked to have been out there by myself explaining to a patrol why im running around a live firing range

14/05/2014 at 21:18

There's a map of this years' route on the Wiltshire wildlife website or you could load the route onto a compatible garmin or phone app and follow that as far as you can?

14/05/2014 at 21:59
Frogbmth wrote (see)

There's a map of this years' route on the Wiltshire wildlife website or you could load the route onto a compatible garmin or phone app and follow that as far as you can?

Does the app warn you when you are running on a part of the course that may or may not have live fire and/or tanks rolling past you??

Having said that the bit around Amesbury is doable and the big hill that you have to climb near the start is worth it, if only for the view at the top.

14/05/2014 at 22:11
If you have a look at the OS map the majority of the land north of Stonehenge has the words "DANGER AREA" in big red letters.
XX1
14/05/2014 at 22:21

Ah, I didn't realise that it was run across a live firing range with tanks and mines and shit...  But basically what you're saying is that if I do it in camouflage kit I should be ok right  Maybe I'd be better off just waiting for the 2015 event 

XX1
14/05/2014 at 22:27
Xx1, there is also the Salisbury 54321 in august which I loved doing last year.
14/05/2014 at 22:47
I can highly recommend the 54321 event. Have done it the last 3 yrs.
good value and great scenery.
XX1
23/05/2014 at 16:09

Jindalee/Millsy -- Thanks for the recommendation ...  I'm assuming that the 2 and the 4 are genuine half and full marathon distances (see what I did there Millsy )...  It's a great concept...  Are the courses easy to follow or are there any navigational issues?

XX1

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.