New Forest Marathon - how was it for you?

My first ever DNF

21 to 37 of 37 messages
23/09/2002 at 20:51
Bad luck Guy, I'm sure you'll be back!
This was my first so it's my PB but I hope it will be my PW. I only had 4 weeks to train before it after a 4 1/2 week lay off due to injury so I didn't have the miles in the bank and I was just desperate to do the big one. I went out too quickly and kept a 3 min lead on my split times to about 14 miles when it all went pear shaped. I started to loose it from there so much so that I didn't even know what IT was from mile 20 onwards. The net result was 4:05:25, a full 30 mins off my target time! The next one WILL be better!!!
Was it me or was darned hilly!? (no offence Hilly)
Guy
23/09/2002 at 21:25
Thanks to everyone - and congratulations to all who did finish. If it is any comfort, Bear, I have yet to finish to marathon even close to my predicted time.

This morning the foot was agony, so that I could hardly walk, but this evening I managed the 10 minute walk to the station in discomfort, but not too much pain. It no longer feels like the crippling injury that I thought it was last night. However, I don't think I'll be running for a few weeks.
24/09/2002 at 23:11
erm....4.05 sounds like an ok debut there, bear.

i don't know too many people who do their first one in sub 3.30 (unless you're a serious club runner - i'm sure you are)

i reckon that the experience of this one will set you up fiar and suqre for a good time on the next outing.

maybe the learning is keep petrol in the tank and forget the watch for the first 20 miles - i have heard that one done very well by many better runners than me!

good luck
Guy
25/09/2002 at 00:34
Bear - I should have added that I would have been extremely happy with a 4:05 debut. It took me until my fourth marathon to go faster than that.

I must have seen you crossing the line, because I was standing at the finish waiting for my brother, and he was 2 minutes behind you.
25/09/2002 at 08:54
Cheers chaps, you are very kind.
I'll try not to beat myself up about it too much. I'll start back running today with a nice wee two miler as my legs feel fine (I think the ice bath after the race and the massage on Monday did a world of good). Next stop: Stroud Half on the 27th Oct'.
Hope the foot calms down and gets better soon, Guy and thanks again both!
Andy (AKA Bear).
25/09/2002 at 11:39
It was my 1st marathon and completed in 4:08 which I was well pleased with (I was aiming to get under 4:30). Apart from the off-road stuff between 10 & 12m I honestly thought that the course was OK and not as bad as I had feared (though I had advance notice of the hill at 19m so saved a bit in store for that). I ran with another novice for most of it but he walked from 24 to the finish and looked rough at the end. My steady pace & energy gels seemed to serve me well as I was walking easily on the Sunday evening. Here's hoping for a London entry now.
25/09/2002 at 12:20
What did you think about running in traffic?
Can't say I was too chuffed, but then again, I didn't mind the off-road section, although it did sap the energy a bit.
On the whole it was a v pretty course.

Well done, Gavo.
25/09/2002 at 12:24
I did not have a good run although I thought both the course and the organization good indeed. I was recovering from a foot injury so was expecting over 4 hours. I was on track for the first 20 miles but ran out of fuel both physically and mentally then and ended up walking the hills ending in 4:38. I'll put this down due poor preparation and attidude I think although I'll be back next year as it was such a pretty run. Just got to put it behind me and concentrate on a proper preparation for New York now. My girlfriend Liz had good run in 3:46 coming 10th for her age which made the day a lot better!
25/09/2002 at 13:08
Running in the traffic wasn't too bad - I've seen worse in urban races. I was more concerned about the horses wandering than the cars (but then I'm a city boy and you don't get many horses where I run). Agree with the comments on the organisation, though it did appear that there weren't too many water stations in the 2nd half. Not too bothered about not giving out energy drinks (though I was offered one at about 24/25m which seemed a bit late) as I carry a couple of gels with me.

Does anyone know if the results will be posted on a website anywhere?
25/09/2002 at 13:24
Gavo, the results will appear at http://www.nfma.org.uk at some time. Agree with your comments about the traffic, far worse in some races, most drivers seemed pretty patient and the marshalling was very good. The info pack said that there would only be water so I took a bottle of isostar with me which helped.
25/09/2002 at 16:50
So many Forumites there and the only one I met was Bear. He was actually SMILING at the finish. I put it down to delirium.I must have finished v.close to Grumpy as I clocked myself at 3.56.02.
I really sympathise with Guy, things have to get pretty painful to make one drop out.
I thought that the organisation was superb and the weather could not have been better. I was struck once more by what nice people marathon runners are.I will be back next year with a few twenty mile prep runs under my belt.
26/09/2002 at 09:38
If only I'd known, I was too tired to look for numbers and wouldn't have been able to recall any at that stage anyway. We would probably have been running together at some stage, I was the guy with a pony tail wearing a white vest.
I might have broken into a smile at the finish too, which is not in my nature but I was pretty glad to have finished.
26/09/2002 at 19:38
Hi

I managed to lose the photo details. has anyone got the guy's contacts?
27/09/2002 at 08:40
The e-mail address is sales@ppagroup.co.uk although I've written to them and not had a reply.
Personally I'd like to see the photo before I buy it, but I think that letting people do that might stop them from buying.
27/09/2002 at 10:50
Better late than never! Hi to everyone who did Sunday in the New Forest - who was the poor guy that got surrounded by the stampedeing ponies about half way through the race going up a hill - my shorts would have been a little heavier if that'd been me!! Anyone doing the Hardley a Half just outside Southampton in 2 weeks time? If so, any tips gratefully received. Think there's a webaddress for them somewhere if anyone wants it? Oh, just to make you wince - my preparation for the NF Half was to have a brass picture frame drop on my big toe & second toe and split them open good and proper on Sat afternoon - a few hours of sweaty socked running later and I now have a couple of good infections brewing - this is the toe that had the nail partially removed before and fully removed during this years London Marathon - think there's a homing target on it ?
27/09/2002 at 13:56
Pitstop
I am doing the Hardley Half on 13th - lovely route - not as undulating as NF1/2 - there is one hill at about 9 miles and the last two miles are not that good as they are along a road that is boring - but it is a race to enjoy

See you there

Whizzy
27/09/2002 at 14:21
Thanks Whizzy - will have a blue City of Salisbury vest on and I tend to grunt a lot the harder a race is - I rarely have others running around me but can't think why!!! Hope it's fun - I would SOOOO like a race to be easy one day.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.