New Forest Marathon

faster than a new forest pony

1 to 20 of 250 messages
11/04/2009 at 11:31

I've never started onr of these before - but here I am - have just entered ...........ran Paris last Sunday and LOVED IT !!!............love the whole big city thing but equally a big a fan of the smaller more local events ....this one fits the calendar just right, looks like a superb course, within a couple of hours of my front door ...what more can a boy ask for ?

Cheers

Dave

11/04/2009 at 11:36
 http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_3_110.gif This maybe interested.Inthink abaout it.If I did that make 20th Marathon or give a take?

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZRman000
12/04/2009 at 09:32
So Dave, not knowing the new forest too well, is the course particularly hilly, flat, gravelly . .?
12/04/2009 at 11:02

Hi John

I don't know the area - but they have a have a profile on the web site and it looks like a rolling course with a high point of 80M - which i actually prefer to pancake flat which gets a bit monotinous over 26M

D

12/04/2009 at 15:03

Hi,

I'm debating whether to enter. I haven't done a marathon before so I'd like to find an easy , friendly course as my first, preferably in the country as I love the countryside - anyone who's done this before do you think this fits the bill? Thanks E

12/04/2009 at 17:11

Hi

Ellen - the friendship and feeling that "we are all in this together" is just huge in  all the smaller Autmun events it is one of the very best parts of being a runner and you'll find huge encouragement where ever you run !!!!!

Personal i perfer the quieter countryside races than the roaring crowd of London where at times it is deafening (but i loved Paris)  ....also very happy running on my own or with just one or two around me which is likely at the new Forest

so i guess i haven't really answered your question !!!!!!!.........other than to say I'm sure the people who join this forum will be able to advise and encourage you throughout your training ......

Dave "fence sitter" Stamp

13/04/2009 at 17:58

Thanks Dave,

I recently did Bath 1/2 marathon and even though I enjoyed the buzz of completing it and being with fellow runners I also prefer running in the country with just a few people encouraging one another, but, I equally can run by myself without an ipod! Look forward to hearing from others before making the final commitment though - I'm going to need a little more encouragement first! Ellen x

18/04/2009 at 18:55
Just entered, this will be my 14th Mara and 3rd this year.... looking forwards to it already....
24/04/2009 at 08:06

Just entered - will be my first marathon.

Slightly apprehensive....

24/04/2009 at 20:17
Hi all, this was my first mara back in 2006. The course has changed slightly since then, but it certainly isn't flat. From memory there was a long drag uphill at about 18-20miles. Excellent race, beautiful scenery & friendly, despite the fact that I had a torrid time (first mara, set off WAY too fast & paid dearly for it at about 18 miles, just in time for that long drag uphill). I can recommend it. The race that is, not setting off too fast.
24/04/2009 at 21:47
did this race last year - very hot day but a lovely course. they had the pony drift in the morning before the race - was quite amusing to pass ponies in the middle of the road.
26/04/2009 at 14:12

Hi folks,

I done the half last year and loved the course. Have now been inspired watching London this morning and am just about to enter for the full this year. Will be my 2nd marathon (hope my knees hold up this time)! I found the course profile looks more intimidating than it actually felt on the day. I would recommend this race to everyone, scenery is amazing!

26/04/2009 at 21:09

Hi all.

Just taken the plunge and entered after weeks of dithering which course to make my marathon for this year. This should be a nice halfway house between the last 2 - the massive hills of snowdon, then the pancake flat amsterdam!

anyone who's done this before - how does the course stack up in terms of your pbs?

28/04/2009 at 19:21

Hi guys , just entered today after much indecision similar to you MP .Mainly concerned about fitting training in the summer in .But hey ho here we go.Now must go and look for some summer halves to fit in the training :

MP -Although I havn't run the full, Ive had a fairly good time on the half and a friend did a fairly decent PB on it a few years ago .

28/04/2009 at 20:52

oh dear!

checked the entry details and i'm in - it's official!

the good thing about these autumn maras is that the long runs cam almost always be run in the light, and all that lovely off road forest track to practice on!  not many 20 mile races around though

29/04/2009 at 15:26
I've bitten the bullet and sent off my form this morning!
30/04/2009 at 10:05

Hi Guys

I Noticed i wasn't on the entries list so i contacted JAND and they said ..and i quote .....

"We have not received any online entries from the organisers. You have a RW

confirmation to confirm your entry, we will include you as soon as we

receive the data."

Just in case any one else is in the same boat !!!

Meanwhile I can't make my mind up if i should aply for London 2010 ( I'm lukcy enough to have run the GFA qualifying time so i would get a place if i wanted it) ..........

Every post i make on this forum starts with (and normally ends as well with) I'm not sure, or i can't make my mind up ......I've gone into indecision melt down ............send help !!!!!!!!.......

not sure if i should this now - can't make my mind up

30/04/2009 at 20:48
That's it - I'm in!!! It will be my first marathon and I'm pretty confident I'll be ok at the moment. Saying that, I haven't told anyone yet Wait and see how the training goes. There's Bristol 1/2 on 6/7th Sept which I'm going to do on the lead up, so it's all prepared! Arghh! Even got the garmin and I'm very excited
30/04/2009 at 20:58

if anyone fancies a really good run in early sepetmber as a warm up/long run, i would recommend the roman run - 16 miles from brecon to merthyr tydfil, including going up and over pen y fan - the first 6 miles are uphill!

great training event - done it last 2 years as preparation

30/04/2009 at 21:21
The GFA closes in Aug for VLM 10, coz I thought of that too, but had to ditch that plan...... still running though as if do run 3:15 will be a GFA for 2011.
1 to 20 of 250 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.