New Year's Eve & New Year Liverbird Marathon Double

any more details???

1 to 20 of 114 messages
06/09/2010 at 17:15

does anybody have any more info on this???

LIVERBIRD    pirate
06/09/2010 at 18:24
Don't look at me.....
06/09/2010 at 19:03
It's Liverpool Lass from Fetch who's organising this.  Not sure if she's on the forum though.
06/09/2010 at 20:04

Nothing to do with 'runliverpool' and don't know anything about it.We are still waiting for Liverpool City Council to decide on our bid for the Liverpool Marathon!!

Alan Rothwell

'runliverpool' initiative

06/09/2010 at 20:05
Curious distance too at 26.3m, unless it's a typo. I've emailed for more details, such as whether it's the same route on each of the days, or whether leg 2 is the return (or reverse) element. I can't tell what the entry limit is either. There is reference to a "website" having the details, but there is no website listed, as yet.
07/09/2010 at 00:08

There's a Facebook page for it here http://www.facebook.com/pages/Liverbird-Marathon-Double/140992935937374?v=wall

It all seems a bit strange,especially if you google the "organiser's" name,'Kaja Kosla' you come across this story from the Liverpool Echo about how she was intending to run 5 marathons in 5 days to raise money for local charities. Check out her JustGiving page,she managed to rake in a whopping £56!!!!!  £11.20 per marathon!

Like I say,it all seems a bit strange to me.

07/09/2010 at 09:04
Yeah, all abit strange, and if Alan Rothwell doesnt know anything about it..........., I will wait and see if she responds to my email!! Its short notice as well, details still sketchy with only a few months to go !! hmmm Will just look forward to the 'runliverpool' event next October, fingers crossed!!
07/09/2010 at 11:09

The routes just along Otterspool Prom, out and back 3 times.  Also says its 26.7 miles/43km.......hmmmmm?!   All the evidence adds up to a disaster waiting to happen!! (If it happens at all!)  No way am I enterin this!

07/09/2010 at 11:25
I think the event was originally looked at as just a small affair with just dedicated distance runners taking part. Don't think the idea was to have a big field and the course was to be wherever the distance could be found. Kaja contacted me a while back about a marathon course for a small event and I suggested the existing half marathon course twice.

Seemingly she has ignored my suggestion and opted for running up and down Otterspool promenade.
07/09/2010 at 12:06

All I know about this is presented in this thread on Fetch.  Its on the Fetch race listings too but there's nothing else of substance available.

Alan's right that it was dreamt up as an opportunity for like minded friends to get together.  You'll see, if you trawl the whole thread, that Kaja has been getting plenty of advice from knowledgeable sources but you won't be able to escape the fact that her enthusiasm far outweighs her experience.  I'm not a RW subscriber so can't get at the race listing and haven't looked at the Facebook page but do have the impression that it will be very much a homespun, look after yourselves type event rather than something on the scale that Alan is hoping to put on next year.

Much as I have warmed towards Kaja as a person on the couple of occasions I have met her, I'd have to advise caution on behalf of anybody who doesn't know her (or at least somebody else who does) before entering this.

07/09/2010 at 13:15
The facebook page says:  "a chance to complete your very first marathon while enjoying scenic route on the beautiful Riverside Promenade".   This doesn’t indicate it’s for dedicated distance runners or like minded friends echoed by the fact it’s advertised on runners world and Fetch. 

If something bad happens, (injury, public incident etc) it will be scrutinised by police, highways agency, council etc which could have implications for the other well planned and delivered races in Liverpool, i.e. increased red tape!!!

07/09/2010 at 13:58
Reading a bit of the thread on Fetch it all seems well intentioned enough but it's more of a little social get together for a few Fetch forumites. Not really something that should be advertised/publicised on Runners World,in my humble opinion of course.
07/09/2010 at 14:24
It has caused some confusion with our somewhat bigger plans for a Liverpool / Mersey Marathon I have to say.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
07/09/2010 at 14:40

I want my name back!

(Not that I didn't rob off the Liverbuildings in the first place)

07/09/2010 at 14:46
well i have learnt something, i didnt realise that anybody could advertise something on Runners World events list, I thought they would have to be vetted by RW for authenticity, for insurance/public liability reasons etc. Informal runs are best kept to facebook etc. Not one i'll be doing anyway !
07/09/2010 at 14:54

Hello everybody, I just found that thread. I'm not very active on RW.

Everybody saying I haven't replied to their email - you've probably send it to a wrong address. There are three "o" in it, you might've written just 2. Again, it's liverpoool.lass@yahoo.co.uk. All eamils I get asking for this I respond to on the same day with all information packs.

To clear out your suspicions. - No it's not meant to be a big city marathon with thousands/hundrets runners. - ITS PRIMARY AIM IS TO RAISE MONEY FOR CHARITIES, including local 23 Foundation, so it's a small event if you like.  There's no mention of place limits because everybody is welcomed but I should suspect the number of entrans will be in lower tens and involve probably more experienced marathon runners who want to celebrate the New Year in such way.

The route stays on the promendae to make it as safe and simple as possible, with no road crossings, or any motorised vehicles. It's much simpler to respond to accidents on a 5 mile strech than on the route involving 3 parks and major roads.

The RW description doesn't say it's UKA affiliated, and as for the small event it probably won't be, however should soon be authorised by 100 Marathon Club. On day organisation in terms of water and snacks and First Aid provision will be done to the best of my ability. I can't understand the hostile tone of the thread as even in the space-wise limited description it says it's is a fundaising event, I will change it to something explicitly saying "not a big city marathon but a relatively small number of runners who want to help towards charity and celebrate New Year in a running way."     

I do answer to emails as long as they're sent to my address.

07/09/2010 at 15:06
Lynne, neither did I realise people expected  to only see big fancy events on here. But I think I should remove it now that I've caused such chaos and confusion all over the place. Didn't mean to make any harm to anybody, just the opposite.  I'm only sorry on how many entrants (=entry fees=monay raised) we'd miss out on when removing it from here but well...  
07/09/2010 at 15:18
Dont get me wrong, I was actually looking forward to it, planning how to fit my training in and everthing! But it would be a first marathon for me and feel I need the support of an 'official event' for my first one.  So, its just not for me, but I wish you very Good Luck with it and hope you raise loads of money, especially for Carra's 23, which is a great cause.
07/09/2010 at 15:24

To offer my support - I don't see any reason why this should not be advertised on RW so long as it is clear from the listing what the event entails and a link is provided to further information indicating what is and is not included within any fee charged.  I'll admit that I've always assumed that RW, as publisher, had a series of criteria that any race listing had to meet (unlike Fetch whereby any member can post more or less anything they like) but I've never actually thought about what they should be.

There is no reason at all why this site should be limited to 'big fancy events' only but I do accept that anybody advertising should recognise the wide range of people who access the listings and understand what their expectation of something advertised as a city marathon may be. 

07/09/2010 at 15:58
I don’t think anyone thinks only big fancy events should be on runners world, but I do think that it is race organisers responsibility to provide full information on a race so people can make an informed decision on whether to enter or not.   As far as I can tell it’s the lack of information that has lead to the confusion in this case.   There is a massive running community in Liverpool and a real need for a marathon in the city; it’s naïve to think this wouldn’t generator a lot of interest or lead to confusion with the Mersey Marathon Alan Rothwell has worked so hard to resurrect!
1 to 20 of 114 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.