New York Marathon 2009

21 to 40 of 1,478 messages
13/05/2009 at 23:49
Hello Tricia. Welcome.
14/05/2009 at 13:11

Hi folks,

NY will be my 7th Marathon. I started running 4 years ago and ran my first marathon (Edinburgh) badly in May 2006. Convinced I could do better I did Loch Ness later that year and brought my time down from 4.28 to 3.41. Since then I've run Reykjavik, Barcelona, Edinburgh (again) and most recently Boston where I PB'd in 3.13

I managed to qualify for NY on a Good for Age 1/2 of 1.29.02 in Cumbria last October

Like L'a I try and improve and learn from, each race - I averaged 42 miles per week in the 16 week programme for Boston maxing at 70 miles. This was the first race where I didn't cramp in the upper leg and I put that down to the extra mileage and salt in the Gatorade. It feels good to still be learning and improving even though I'm 47  

I'm having two months easy, running 3 or 4 days rather than 6 per week and don't plan any doublers and am racing a few 10ks before building mileage up again in mid July.

NotCat 

14/05/2009 at 13:59
NotCat. Are you travelling alone and have you come down one side or the other on the hotel debate, i.e., near the start or the finish?
14/05/2009 at 14:09

Hi All

Entered the ballot for this for the first time and haven't heard anything yet.

Have done 3 marathons to date - London in 07 and 09 and Tokyo last year. Doing Edinburgh at the end of the month and hoping to round off the year with New York (if I get in that is!). 

14/05/2009 at 14:12

Snap...still no word...yet!  I have my doubts I will get in, but would like to be put out of my misery soon!

Wow..Tokyo...that's a bit different.

14/05/2009 at 15:05

Hello all.

I'm looking to run the New York Marathon for Cancer Research and they've put me through to 2:09 events. Realised you don't have to book through them and there are plenty of tour operators.

Have started my training - in as much as just carrying on my usual running at this stage with the goal of NY in mind! - but really just want the peace of mind of having my place sorted.

Want to go with 2-3 other people and stay for up to 10 days.

Also, want as much of a lie-in on the day itself as poss - who doesn't?!!

So can anyone recommend the best way to do this with a decent cost-comfort balance? Was even thinking about maybe QEII over there and plane back?

ALSO, having run 3:43 in my only marathon so far (London 2006), want to aim for sub-3:30 - can anyone recommend a good training guide?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

14/05/2009 at 16:27
Get a hotel near the finish! It's manic at the end and it took me hours to get back to my hotel as all the cabs were taken.
14/05/2009 at 16:48

Gosh. Hello everyone!

Pineappleflakes. I would be interested to heat about Tokyo. Did you post a race report anywhere?

Pineappleflakes and Redpanda. I seem to remember that they won't even hold the general ballot until the end of May. The date's on the website, I think. I guess it'll be a day or few after that that people will be notified. Good luck!

Hill Hunter. Great (but particularly expensive-sounding) travel plans. Best of luck with that. Sadly, I can only get away for the weekend. Good luck with the sub-3:30 too. I cannot recommend Pfitzinger & Douglas' Advanced Marathoning too highly. As they say in my running shop, "everyone who uses that reaches their goals".

Tortie T. Many thanks for the advice. I've seen a few people with tales of woe like yours, who also make the same recommendations as a result. However, I am a little bit cautious because I have never seen a post by anyone who has actually done what you recommend and can confirm that it is, in fact, the best option. Anyone?

14/05/2009 at 19:09

L'a - still some debate in the NotCat house as to whether Mrs NotCat and the small NotKittens are coming or whether the older NotKittens will be accompanying me. I'm looking at hotels nearish the finish - I'm not bothered about being right by the finish as I like a long walk after finishing - it helps my recovery. 

Pineappleflakes - Edinburgh is a pretty straightforward course except I've b@llsd up twice there - once due to ridiculous heat and once partly due to headwind but more likely lack of recovery between marathons. It is as fast a course as I've ever come across but I've run it slower than anywhere else. I also subscribed to Advance Marathoning - more so around two years ago as I've now built my own plan up that I refine after each marathon. Its basically built around three key sessions per week. One will be speed repetitions of anywhere between 200 metres and 5 minute, one will be a sharpish run around 6 or 7 miles at marathon pace and then the ubiquitous long run which I'll build up to four such runs over 20 or 21 miles. The rest will be recovery runs or some nice runs to build the miles between hard sessions.

HillHunter - I think the QE2 as was has been sold off but there is a replacement. I was thinking of travelling by more conventional and cheaper means. ie direct flight from Edinburgh

Tortie T  - I do find the organised tour a bit dear as you can get a hotel in Central NY and flights for less than £600. I seem to remember last year if you wanted a charity place you had to go through 2.09 - I lost out in the ballot last year and didn't enter by any other means.  

14/05/2009 at 19:13

PS L'a - I am still very envious of your CITGO photo from Boston. I got 31 photos from Boston and they were all pretty poor. There were one or two where I looked like I was moving with some momentum but I could have been anywhere in the world and none of them have any discernable background. I have succumbed to temptation and orderd the DVD though.

I thought the CITGO sign was a thing of great beauty.

14/05/2009 at 23:43

NotCat- I hope you manage to get the whole NotLitter on board. Stupidly (in the sense that I was in my 20s before I even went abroad - to France), the L'ardettes - aged 14 and 11 - have been to New York twice already (and Boston, and the West coast...). It's not such a big deal them not coming this time, therefore - as long as I buy a(nother) skateboard and a(nother) American Girl doll. And they say running is cheap: "All you need is a good pair of trainers". "My ar$e", as a mutual friend might say.

I too like a walk after the finish, but that's a different thing from a schlep across the whole city by public transport, and I'm also not keen on spending 4-5 hours in an exposed military base. Decisions, decisions.

I empathise with your envy. It is a cool photo and no mistake. And I agree: the sign is a thing of great beauty. Maybe I'll bump into you in Moma...

Oh, and yes, I tweak Pfitz, too. But it is definately Pfitz that is being tweaked.

15/05/2009 at 10:01
Hill Hunter. I was thinking about you on my run this morning! The phrase "my only marathon so far" came to mind. In that case, I would not recommend Advanced Marathoning. For only your second I recommend that you Google Hal Higdon and use one of his schedules. IMHO, one needs to have some exerience with all the elements of training and with what your body responds how to before safely doing the Pfitzinger schedules. The risk of injury is too high if, for instance, you don't already know how to do smooth transitions instead of sudden acceleration in strideouts, etc. On the other hand, I think you can improve substantially just by training for your second marathon, whatever programme you use. I would definitely recommend Pfitz for your third and several subsequent marathons, though. I hope this helps.
15/05/2009 at 12:05

Thanks for all the advice!

On the travel front, probably will end up flying so I can spend more of the time off that I have from work in New York rather than gazing out at the Atlantic, as much as I'd like to try that at some point!

Think the 2:09 travel and entry package is the way to go - and get friends to book separately flights and we'll do accommodation together.

On the training front L'ardvark, I need to introduce more mileage while getting speed in the legs! At the moment I have been concentrating on speed with a couple of 5ks (20mins) and 10ks (41mins). Am doing the Bupa 10,000 then want to start stepping up to half-marathons and beyond. Just what I do in between that feels a bit aimless right now so I definitely want to use a plan. Think a running club's probably a good idea as well as your suggested Hal Higdon plan. Last time when I did a marathon I was well within myself in terms of training and have never really taken it even semi-seriously before so hope I can find time just by stepping it up a bit! The only downside is a slight tweak in my left knee at times which I want to protect!

15/05/2009 at 12:51

I'm in the ballot too and the results are out next Tuesday.

Ive done New York before and I enjoy it so much that I took over 6 hours lat time (2006)

I got one of the last coaches last time and saw the start of the wheelchair race from the coach.

I have stayed on the Upper West Side the last two times so I could walk down to the pasta party which was great fun.  

15/05/2009 at 14:27

L' ardvark. Didn't do a post race report for Tokyo. Didn't know you could for overseas races! It is a fast course with a few minor hills (mainly from half way onwards if I remember correctly). Got a PB of 3.44 so was overjoyed!!!! It was pretty surreal as being in Japan felt like I was in another world and I still felt like a newbie to marathon running. It was one of the most amazing experiences i have ever had and would recommend it to anyone. I went with 2:09 events with only 4 of us on the tour. It was slightly unorganised as there were no 2.09 reps with us so quite often the itinerary didn't always go as plan but things always seemed to work themselves out.

NotCat. Thanks for the heads up on Edinburgh. Heard that it is a pretty fast course but not sure how I will fair as I've never done 2 marathons in a month and not sure what training I should really be doing between the two. I'm basically following the same plan I used for the last month before london (from RW training schedule) and hoping it works .  Will definatley look into Pfitzinger & Douglas' Advanced Marathoning as both you and L'ardvark recommend it.

15/05/2009 at 14:30

Wow...next Tuesday...not too long to wait then. 

What do you do, just check the website?  Oh well, this time next week I will know one way or another

15/05/2009 at 14:30

Opps.....

Will definitely look into......
18/05/2009 at 22:14

Results are out... AND I'M IN!!!!

Now that I'm officially in, a bit about me as well.  Did NYC back in 2007 and this will be the second attempt.  Done 6 marathons so far with Edinburgh and Berlin also planned for this year, so NYC will be marathon number 9.  Really looking forward to the marathon weekend already - NYC transforms during the weekend into something even more amazing than usual!  Last time I ran NYC in 3:55 but was just recovering from an injury - couldn't even run 3 miles in Central Park two days before the marathon so how I completed the marathon I have no idea.  PB is now down to 3:20 and aiming for 3:10 in Edinburgh and maybe even 3:00 in Berlin.  Not aiming for a quick time in NYC and will soak up the atmosphere, and it's not really a PB course anyway, and it will also be only 6 weeks after Berlin.

18/05/2009 at 23:15
Kiwidave. Welcome, and thanks for the intro. Any tips from a NY pro will of course be generally welcomed in time, I'm sure. For now, though, and most importantly, CONGRATULATIONS.
http://sitelife.runnersworld.com/ver1.0/content/scripts/tinymce/plugins/emotions/images/elephant.gif

19/05/2009 at 08:08

WooHoo!  Got rejected for the third time in a row, so that means I'll get my definite place next year

21 to 40 of 1,478 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.