New York Marathon 2012

1 to 20 of 122 messages
23/11/2011 at 17:34

I'm running the VLM 2012, and also want to do the New York 2012 marathon.

I'm searching for the cheapest and most hassle-free way of doing it. As far as I can see, the cheapest way of doing this is:

Pay for a "Flight and Entry-to-marathon" package (£945). Then pay for your accommodation separately.

You don't have to fund raise. But if you do, then you can get some cash back by hitting certain targets (£250 back if you raise £1,250, for example.

All in all then, you're likely to be spending at least £2K on this thing. 

Is that about right?  Any other considerations?
24/11/2011 at 15:54
On line entry is first port of call. Compulsory$11 or so handling charge but if you get in it's about £195 rather than £300+ from a tour operator and then own fligt for around £350-400. I did this way and sat next to my buddy, who went with the operator. Same flights, same race, half the cost. Be warned tho' it is a ballot. They also do GFA but wait for it...including half-marathon so get looking and training
24/11/2011 at 16:01
Thanks very much for that!  I have registered for the ballot already, so fingers crossed.
26/11/2011 at 14:59
I have spent many hours trying to find a cheap way of doing NY and if you can't get in on the ballot then the flight + entry option with a tour operator seems to be the best option, then just book accommodation through a roomshare site like roomarama or airbnb.

With the time I spent searching for cheaper options, I could have just gone to work and earned the extra it costs to go through an operator. For now I'll just enter the ballot and keep playing on the internet.
01/12/2011 at 14:45

I've been looking on the NYC website, is the ballot open for 2012? I couldn't find it

If it is help! All I can find is this link http://run2012.ingnycmarathon.org/

01/12/2011 at 15:19

Harry - that's all I have been able to find.  I don't think the ballot site is open yet.  That form will enable them to notify you when it does.  At least that is my understanding!

Lady Toes - yes, that's cheapest I have found too.  Hopefully we'll get through the ballot to make things as cheap as possible!

01/12/2011 at 15:26

jdw2000 - Thanks for the info, it was just in your previous post I mid-read and thought you had entered the ballot, which got me worried! I have applied for the last 2 NYC marathons. If I have read correctly I need to apply for 2012, which should result in an entry for 2013 if unsuccessful. Although I have also read that they are phasing that out over the next few years.

Good luck everyone who goes for the ballot place!

01/12/2011 at 15:31
Yes, sorry, that was mis-leading.  I meant to say that I have registered to enter the ballot.  As far as I am aware, the ballot isn't yet open.  Cheers.
06/01/2012 at 10:37
The ballot is now open guys
06/03/2012 at 16:31
Any idea if the ballot is now shut?  Anyone have a link?
07/03/2012 at 16:18
I think the ballot is open until 23rd April.  Try this link.    http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/entrantinfo/apply_instruct.htm
08/03/2012 at 15:12
Thanks very much, FQ!  Am now in the ballot.  (I'm assuming I've got as much chance of winning the lottery, but you've got to be in it to win it!)
08/03/2012 at 15:51
Anyone done this before and can recommend good place/area to stay? Was thinking to arrive late Friday evening - I assume this would be enough time for registering etc.

Never been to NY before so any advice would be welcome (apart from do all your sightseeing after the race!)
08/03/2012 at 16:57

I did the NYC Marathon in November and stayed at the Eastgate Tower Hotel in Murray Hill (E.39th St.) on Manhattan. Quite a nice neighbourhood and within walking distance of Grand Central Station, Times Square and Empire State. Hotel decor was a little bit dated, but it was very clean, very well looked after, and the rooms were very big. They were reasonably priced too considering the good location.

Another point worth making is that it is by far the toughest marathon course I've ever run. The bridges are horrible, the hill on 22 miles coming along 5th Avenue is energy-sapping and the rolling hills in Central Park might just finish you off. That said, the crowds are superb, the organisation is great and looking back, I enjoyed every second of that race (except the one on 25 miles when my hamstring exploded!!).

08/04/2012 at 21:20
Hi, I've got a GFA place for 2012 - never done NYC marathon before and it sounds like some proper hill training is going to be needed.

I'm running Brighton Marathon on 15th April but then no other races booked until NY in November. Not sure whether to take a break from the high mileage for a couple of months then start a 16 week training plan in July....or would it be better to try to maintain current fitness level right through to November? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
09/04/2012 at 00:47
Picklelilly - your 16 week training programme would have to start in May anyway. That's only next month. Doesn't sound like you have any chance to get out of shape.

IMO, you should cut down though, and then build back up slowly in conjunction with your training schedule. There's no sense (IMO) in doing advanced long-distance running every weekend for the next 4 months. Your body surely needs the rest.

Please note that I've not done a marathon before (VLM this month being my first), and so I've certainly not done 2 in any given year.

Good luck with both!
09/04/2012 at 06:36
jdw2000 - NYC is early November, so a 16 week schedule would start in July.

Picklelilly - keeping on the high millage will no doubt improve your fitness, however, you have to weigh this up against the increased chance of injury and the likelihood of training boredom/fatigue setting in, which ultimately may have more of a negative impact than the positives you'll get from maintaining your high millage.

I'm in a similar position to you - doing MotN on 6th May, then NYC in November. I'm going to go back to my normal 3 runs/30 miles a week after the MotN, then pick up a schedule again beginning of August.

Would be interested to hear from anyone with regards to how you should adapt a training plan to help be better prepared for what sounds like a pretty hilly marathon!
09/04/2012 at 15:59
Many thanks jdw2000 and big B, your input is much appreciated. I have been a tad injury-prone during the high mileage training for my two marathons thus far, so sounds like dropping back to my regular weekly mileage for a bit is the way to go. Best of luck to you both for your respective Spring marathons and hope to converse further on here once the NYC training gets under way.
JAP
10/04/2012 at 11:03
Picklelilly, BB, I am doing London in a couple of weeks then NY in Nov as well. My plan will be to take 2-4 weeks recovery after London, then spend a couple of months focusing on 5k & 10k races, before shifting the focus back towards marathon training some time around early Aug. However, while I am focusing on the shorter races, I will probably still include a long run of approx 16M at least every other weekend, so that when I do go back to the marathon specific training I can start my long runs straight from 18M and be comfortable with it. Trying to maintain current marathon fitness throughout the summer is likely to be a big ask, particularly motivationally.
DT2
11/04/2012 at 22:57
I'll be at NYC as well, racing Amsterdam a couple of weeks before though so this really will just be taken as a very fancy long run! (promised the GF a trip away so 2birds with 1 stone!) also at VLM next Sun, like Jap I'll be keeping a run up to 16m each week over summer to keep the endurance ticking over.

Still need to get my GFA in, anyone know the cut off date?
1 to 20 of 122 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.