New York marathon

21 to 37 of 37 messages
23/08/2012 at 15:49

Id really like to do the new york marathon! although, being a student im mega mega poor

Does anyone know of a cheap method to get to new york?? even if it is a 1 year coach! (well ... maybe not that extreem) :L 

24/08/2012 at 19:41
Hi all, ran new York in 2007 , my favourite marathon, beats London I think.

Would love to run this again, does anyone know when the ballot opens and chances of success.

Thanks
30/08/2012 at 13:04

I think the ballot runs from Jan to April (not on a first come first served basis) for the November race.

In 2012 they predicted the chances of success are between 8% and 12%, although NYRR warn that this is likely to decrease for future races given the incresing number of aplicants.

Meeting a qualifying time may be an option, depending on how fast you are, especially as half marathon times can be used too, although these have also been made tougher for 2013.

There's a lot of info on the website.

meface    pirate
30/08/2012 at 23:31

They do allow non-US entries direct and do offer a 3 rejections and you are in. Hoping to get there this year done it before.

Staten Island Ferry is better than the bus IMHO. Start can be very cold. Add extra to whatever you have already planned. Saw two Japenese runners in sleeping bags at the start. extra t-shirt to set-off in isn't a bad idea either and chuck it on the run, unless you are very speedy.

Also carry a tiny hat/gloves if you suffer cold and stick them on if you need it. The year I ran was extra cold (even Paula Radcliffe moaned) and don't think it got above 4degC all day.

31/08/2012 at 15:30
I think they're doing away with the three rejections thing. So unless you've got a couple of rejects already I don't think this is an option.
31/08/2012 at 16:03

I got in through the ballot this year at the first time of asking.  Flight and hotel have been booked for months, charity shop trip for warm clothes is being planned although I like the sleeping bag idea.  And it would give me room in the case for all my NY purchases.  Sorted!!

31/08/2012 at 16:31
Ran it last year,great race amazing place.def need clothing for start,lot of waiting around.finish can get really crowded,mad busy around Columbus circle.head north of finish line to meet friends and family.brilliant place to go,jealous,would love to go again..
02/09/2012 at 17:59

Hello

Im in the new york marathon this year, has anyone got any decent hotels ?

What time do we have to be at satan island and what ferry do we have to be on, do we need to book the ferry

03/09/2012 at 09:09

Last year I stayed at the Eastgate Tower Hotel in Murray Hill on Manhattan. Its a few blocks away from Grand Central Station. It was reasonably priced and the rooms were huge. Not the most luxurious hotel in the world, but its clean, comfortable and in a great location. Id definitely stay there again!

07/09/2012 at 15:20
So, to bag or not to bag...
07/09/2012 at 18:04
Duncan I like the idea that it starts on Satan island!!!!
11/09/2012 at 08:04

I have a guaranteed entry, but might still go with Sports Tours International whose 3 day package at, say the Travelinn, doesn't seem to cost any more than booking the flight and accommodation yourself. Is anyone else going with them?

I've heard you don't have to be at the start at your allocated time - 5am in my case! Is this right?

11/09/2012 at 09:05

How much is the STI package?

My start is at 09:40, which last year was the first wave (I think!). Is it true that the corrals close 45 mins before the start? What time would I have to be at the start??

Edited: 11/09/2012 at 09:05
11/09/2012 at 09:18

9:40 here as well- green wave (whatever that means). Getting the Staten Island ferry from Whitehall Terminal at 6:45.  It doesn't seem unreasonable at all actually, it's how much time I would normally give myself before a big race.

Big Bertie- it's not to bag for me...

11/09/2012 at 09:29

I'm Blue, and definitely a non-bagger!

Not got any transport sorted yet (and have missed the deadline!) so will try to get something sorted at the Expo, although not arriving 'til late Friday night so will have to hope there's stil something left come Saturday morning!

Has anyone experienced booking official travel at the Expo for previous years? If there's nothing avaiable, what options are available to get to te start? Swim?

15/10/2012 at 14:04

Hope everyone is fit and well, not long to go now.

Long shot I know, but wondered if anyone off here is targeting 3.15, would be great to have some company, I am off the blue start in wave 1.

Cheers

03/11/2012 at 12:18
Left London last night full of excitement, arrived to JFK to find race cancelled.

Not wanting to waste 16 weeks of training I'll look to do another 26.2

My question is, bearing in mind I've been tapering for three weeks, and will not be able to get out running for another 10 days, what date (Sun 17th, Sun 25th, Sun 2nd etc) should I reschedule for, and how should I train between now and then?

I'm looking at 2:50 target if that makes a difference

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.