Newton's Fraction Half-Marathon

10 messages
01/03/2010 at 20:09

Is anyone doing this one?

I'm doing it for a first time and would be interested in people's thoughts and experiences?

I'm aiming at 1.45, my previous bests were Haweswater and Sheffield in 1.46.

03/03/2010 at 19:36
I am trying to get public transport from Nottingham on the Sunday morning but using online journey planners I can't find any buses or trains running.
Does anyone know which bus companies or train services run from to and from Nottingham and Grantham (or close by)?
04/03/2010 at 05:14

To all RUNNERS

Just Becareful another Event will be on Sunday as Grantham Canal from Grantham to Cotgrave(Nott)there start 9.30am onwards.Surely Gratham Athletics feedback with Rory Coleman?

04/03/2010 at 14:53
Hi Speedy Brear et al.
The canal ultra run changed it's week from last year without our knowledge (we kept our same week). However, once we were aware of this potenial clash we were straight in touch with Rory Coleman. We are both satisfied that there won't be a problem or a clash on the day. The ultra guys and gals will be half way to Nottingham before our race even gets onto to the canal. In fact, quite a few of the Fraction runners that are staying overnight at the Ramada hotel will be in great company with the 'Ultras' who are also using it as their overnight base.

I can assure all entrants in the 'Fraction' you are going to have a great day. It's not an easy course - but you will enjoy it. You will all get a great Technical T Shirt to train in and a worth having Goodybag. Not only that, the first 12 men and women will all get a bottle of Newton's Fraction Ale (supplied courtesy of Oldershaws Brewery). There is aslo an extensive prize list catering for vets in 5 year increments.

Entries on the day are being taken - so give your pals and clubmates a ring and tell them about the event. They may even share your petrol expenses.

If you have any quireies please cntact the Fraction Team newtonsfraction@btinternet.com

Regards
Paul
Fraction Team
04/03/2010 at 17:14

Hi,

This is my fourth year in a row I'm running the Newton's Fraction and I must say I'm really impressed with the much improved information I received when I entered this year's run!  The emails I receive following my entry are also interesting and really help build up the excitement to the event too.

I hope that the day lives up to the build-up and I can break 2 hours!

Weather seems ideal for running at the moment. 

Nick

04/03/2010 at 18:40

Thanks for the compliments Nick.

We must be doing something right if this is your fourth visit to our race. We now have an enthusiastic race committee in place which wants to put on a first class event for the Road Running community at a sensible price. We haven't got it 100% right in the past, but we have listened to what competitors have told us. We are therefore confident that this will be the best Fraction yet - yes I am putting my head above the parapet on that one.

The weather forecast is cool, but bright and fine - so you are going to have a good running experience.

Paul

Fraction Team

07/03/2010 at 14:41
Room for improvements - I thought the temperature could of done with being 1 degree warmer, the light breeze would have been nicer if it was behind you all the way round and the sun was a bit bright at times.

Seriously, a great run, lots of well organised and cheerful marshalls, a lovely picturesque course, even the hills weren't that bad and the stadium finish was great especially the lady ringing the bell for the last lap, made me feel like a proper athlete.

Also I managed a pb, a great confidence boost for my marathon training plan.

Thank you to everyone at Grantham AC.
07/03/2010 at 19:44

A big thank you to all at Grantham AC for the excellent organisation. A great race made even better by perfect weather.

As for the hills not being too bad - I beg to differ!

07/03/2010 at 20:29

FAO Richard Bulmar - thanks for the kind compliments - never forget - you are a proper athlete 

dorunning   The instinct to run is born into all of us and is something we can all experience. Running takes us outside and sets us free. It doesn't have to be against the clock. You can run easy. Remember, there are two types of people... those that run and those that should. So be yourself, hold your head up high and take pride at being out there. Be the inspiration to those who may follow and help to tell the simple message...

dorunning...you are an athlete

Regards

Paul D

11/03/2010 at 13:24

Thanks so much for all those involved in organising. You certainly have some contacts in high places to sort the weather out like that! Really lovely course. Amazing scenery.  I had a fab time and really enjoyed it although it was only mind over matter that kept me running on those hills!

Facilities were good - plenty of loos at the stadium (very improtant).  Liked the finish on the track as you knew therefore that al least that bit would be flat!

This was my 3rd half marathon and I managed to beat my personal best by 20 minutes despite the hills (proof that training properly actually works - why didn't I think of that before!). I enjoyed it so much that I'm seriously considering a marathon which, if you'd told me that a few months ago, I'd have said you were crazy!

Jo

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.