NIKE RUN LONDON 10K

Lets have your times then

1 to 20 of 55 messages
22/09/2002 at 16:19
Well done all who took place today.

My time was just over 57 minutes. I only started running approximately 4 weeks ago and am so proud of myself. However just taking part in this wonderful event was the best part for me.

How did you do??

Sammy :0)

22/09/2002 at 18:13
Wow! I can't believe you have only been running 4 weeks! I did it in 1:07 which I was pleased with - especially as I've never really run up hills before. But it was a bit of a fiasco, I nearly gave up when I was stuck in the queue at Richmond station for an hour an a half. But I'm pleased I didn't. Perhaps I'll cycle there next year....!
22/09/2002 at 18:36
Good work Sammy and Vic, excellent results all round (especially when you've only been running a month Sammy).

I'm extremely happy with my run. I was hoping to go under 45, but really didn't think I'd manage that with the hills and the fact that I hurt my calf pretty badly on Thursday. But in the end I had a great run and finished in 43:26! Still very chuffed with myself :-) I'm now starting to dream on going sub 42 on a flat (methinks that's a good way off yet).

Oh, and congrats to Paula Radcliffe on breaking the British 10k record. Beat Liz McColgan's record of some 15 years standing apparently... very impressive given the hills.

Any other success stories from forumites?

venom
22/09/2002 at 20:28
Thanks VicB and Venom for those kind words and well done.

I knew there was gonna be one or two hills to get through but it seemed that hills dominated the first 6km of the race.

This race has given me the racers bug and I am already thinking about my next race which will be a 10 miler.

Anyway I have been grinning non-stop today and my medal will be placed in a glass cabinet on my wall to mark my very first race.

Any other success stories, please share.

PS. Hopefully this time next year I will give you a run for your money (ha, ha)

22/09/2002 at 20:30
Thanks VicB and Venom for those kind words and well done.

I knew there was gonna be one or two hills to get through but it seemed that hills dominated the first 6km of the race.

This race has given me the racers bug and I am already thinking about my next race which will be a 10 miler.

Anyway I have been grinning non-stop today and my medal will be placed in a glass cabinet on my wall to mark my very first race.

Any other success stories, please share.

PS. Venom hopefully this time next year I will give you a run for your money (ha, ha)

22/09/2002 at 20:40
It's a shame about the shuttle bus chaos. What Nike should have told people was that once arriving at Richmond they can take a train to Mortlake which leaves you with a short walk to the Park (5-7 mins). Oh and the train ride took approx. 4 mins. Naughty Nike not telling that to everyone!!

I could'nt believe it when we arrived at Richmond and saw everyone leaving the station. There was only my friends and two others on the train to Mortlake.

Perhaps if people had of known that the race could of started on time?

Anyway still managed to have a good day despite not feeling 100%.
22/09/2002 at 20:44
Well done everyone who did the Nike 10k, I did it in 44 mins., and as I crossed the finishing line noticed that the 'beginners' had left 8 mins. ago, so as my g/f was running in the beginners I trotted to the stat and did it all over again. Managed to catch her at 7km and did a 55 mins for the 2nd 10k.
22/09/2002 at 21:06
Ran for the first time today (1:07). A bit disappointed about not running sub 1 hour, but just finishing gave me a great buzz. That hill at 6km was a killer!
23/09/2002 at 09:04
Managed 1:04 in my first 10K so really pleased considering I've missed the last two weeks training through injury. Didn't think much of the pram pushers ahead of the runners on the first hill or the lack of water at the first station!
That hill at 6K was a killer
Well done everybody that ran.
23/09/2002 at 09:54
Just added my time on the other thread, but as I am so chuffed I will tell you again! I managed to finish in 45:34, 3 mins off my previous PB and 7 mins off last years time!!
23/09/2002 at 10:01
47'03" and well pleased. Nearly six mins off the Crawley 10K time from last year - my only other attempt. Well Done Spans and venom - excellent times! Sub 1 hour is excellent after only four weeks Sammy!

23/09/2002 at 10:10
Hmmm, bit disappointed with the whole thing really. It wasn't really very clear what was going on - and the late start was very tedious. Final time 49:44, it was a bit too crowded to maintain a comfortable pace.
23/09/2002 at 10:59
I compleated the Nike 10k in 47 Minutes not bad considering I ran the Great Scottish Half Marathan 2 weeks ago quite a strong track at Richmond Park.
23/09/2002 at 11:11
1hr 5mins - I was very cold after waiting 40 mins at the start line and my legs were like lead for the first 2km - I flew thru the last 3km but sadly it wasnt enough to get me in under an hour
23/09/2002 at 11:14
Was anyonelse really spurred on by the kids at that killer hill shouting 'Kill The Hill! Kill The Hill!' - Bless them. That really kept my spirits up!
23/09/2002 at 11:16
Well done all those who ran.I tried watching on TV (paper said highlights from 12.30) but it was bloomin' tennis and rowing all afternoon , so never did see it.
23/09/2002 at 11:17
I was spurred on by the water station kids shouting 'Ave it and then proceeding to squirt runners and each other with water!
23/09/2002 at 11:47
Congratulations to all who took part in the NIke 10k. What a diabolical start to a race that should have been fun. By the start (due to the waiting and transport debacle, I was bored stiff but I was encouraged by everyone's cheerful mood.

At the end of the race, I was dissappointed with the so-called medal, very unimaginative andlumpy(a goody bag would have been better - I could give to my son).

By the way, my time was 47minutes (not bad, considering the number of people I have to struggle thru'.

PS: IS there any Christian runner living around Bedfordshire who might be interested in organising runs on Saturday as I don't like missing church.

23/09/2002 at 12:01
Did anybody start at the front end of the first group of intermediates? I was just curious to see if anybody actually caught up with any elite runners???
23/09/2002 at 12:13
Well done everybody - Sammy - you must be walking on air today! Must say, it was the first Monday in many a moon that I have had something to smile about on my way to work! It was my first 10k and I did it in 1:05:21. I also met up with one of the guys from the Training Runs in Hyde Park for the last two k's and he kept us (Penny & Belinda) going - If you read this Ben - a huge thank you for coming back for us and all the encouragement you gave.

Am now looking for some more races to do before Christmas -am going to start doing the Tuesday runs from Nike Town from now on. Must say, I slept very well last night!
1 to 20 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.