Not the Worcester Marathon

Should events named after places actually run through them?

9 messages
19/11/2012 at 17:24

Just got an email from Threshold Events about next year's Worcester Marathon and Half. I am sure this is a great event, but when I look at the course I see that it starts just outside Worcester and runs into the countryside. Does this not contravene the Trades Descriptions Act? Worcester is a great city and I would love to enter an event that ran through it.

The Kenilworth Half is the same, starts in the suburbs of Kenilworth, and then disappears into the sticks.  Should events that bear a town or city’s name not be obliged to run through them?  Does anyone feel the same?

M...eldy    pirate
19/11/2012 at 17:48

You try getting a marathon through a town or city 

Its starts in the place appropriate to the name, I cant see a problem personally ....

19/11/2012 at 18:14

"Its starts in the place appropriate to the name” Well it does not even do that really. I would not call the place where it starts Worcester. It's a bit like the famous Ryanair airports.  Its just a bit disappointing when you see the advertising and think ‘great, a run through Worcester’ and when you click through you find its anything but.

I appreciate the sentiment behind your first sentence, although a lot of places manage to get marathons or halfs through their city centres. Worcester is a place that is desperate to promote itself and a genuine city marathon or half marathon would be a way of doing that.  In fact in a city as small as Worcester it could include a bit of countryside as well, as Coventry's does.

19/11/2012 at 20:49

Having grown up in the Woo (Worcester) I think the logistics of running a half marathon or a 2 lap full would be impossible.  I can't think of a route that would actually take in the sights, without having to close down the major arteries into the city centre.  Plus, most people moan about hills on a course and there would be some notable hills involved that there would be no way of getting round.  They could use the canal towpaths but then you wouldn't really get to see the sights (i.e. Catherdral, Cricket Ground, Race Course, St Andrews Spire, Sixways etc).  If you use the riverbanks there would be steps involved at some point.  I appreciate what your saying on the 'Worcester' front but then if you name it something more appropriate i.e. Black Pear Half would anyone outside of the local area know where it was???

19/11/2012 at 21:01

I did Gosport Half yesterday. It started on the border of the town and runs away from it. You mainly run in Lee-on-Solent.

I don't think it matters as long as you know where the start is and get there at the right time.

19/11/2012 at 21:22
Magpie Rob wrote (see)

I did Gosport Half yesterday.  You mainly run in Lee-on-Solent.

So why is it called the Gosport Half?

Laudy, Worcester isn't that hilly and what's wrong with closing a few roads?  If the famously car-obsessed Coventry can do it I am sure Worcester can. It shows a place's commitment to the event if it is willing to challenge the moaning motorists.

cougie    pirate
19/11/2012 at 21:34
There you go yellow mag - you can organise the first central Worcester Marathon. As you say - easy enough to do.....
19/11/2012 at 21:41

Now there's a challenge!

19/11/2012 at 21:42

Yeah but lets be honest some people moan about the 'hills' of running over a motorway flyover, I'd love to see them tackle Fort Royal or Rainbow Hill   Not that there is anything wrong with putting some short steep climbs into a course, wouldn't bother me!

I believe this to be the second running of this race in 2013, so I guess it will take a while for the race to grow and to get the council on board with the necessary road closures etc.  If it grows maybe it will migrate into the city but those are some nice villages the current course takes you through: Wychavon Half Marathon (I think thats geographically correct??)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.