NSPCC Milton Keynes Half Marathon

1 to 20 of 681 messages
25/04/2008 at 10:19
I am thinking of entering this, anyone done it before and can they recommend it?  Most important, how flat is it!?
25/04/2008 at 11:28

Hi topcat

did this last year, really enjoyed it - it is fairly flat, a few short sharp rises over bridges by the canal and the last 300 metres are uphill !!!!  Not what u want at the end of 13 miles ha ha

I am entering again this year though

25/04/2008 at 13:01

Thanks Buggerlugs.  This will be only my 2rd half marathon.  My first was Bedford last year which was very hilly and very wet.  Lets hope we have mild weather and no rain for this one.  I'll see how my training goes and then enter.

300 metres uphill at the end must seem like a mile!

25/04/2008 at 14:39
Certainly flatter than Bedford. Having said that I ran MK 2 years ago and found it tough. A combination of a large number of long gradual inclines and hot weather did for me. I ran Bedford in December 2007 & infinetely preferred it - my time was @ 5 mins faster as well (though I was a bit fitter). I think the other MK half is supposed to be flatter.
25/04/2008 at 15:03

Indeed the March Open Universti yMK Half is flatetr and faster but this opne is fairly flat. Indeed I think it is slower than the March one due to the circuit being a bit twistier and also narrower in places. In fact a lot of the narrow parts are quite early on so given tha tthe whole field is bunched it tends to slow it. The other reason is that being in July it can be quite hot.

Its a good race though and certainly worth doing. I would say the last 300M are an incline rather than uphill but it feels uphill by then !!

25/04/2008 at 15:34

Very flat, and although the last bit is hardly hilly, it feels like a mountain!

Definitely PB potential.

25/04/2008 at 16:18

I agree it is an incline at the end but feels like a hill - I am aiming for 1.40 ish (a PB holefully) I am following the RW garmin schedule, which starts on Monday.

I think the Nike MK half in March is an easier course

I was cheering on my wife at Bedford last year and got soaked and got the car stuck in the muddy field ha ha

25/04/2008 at 19:00

Hi Brooksy

Rumour has it, I'll be doing this - will be first run for almost a year

26/04/2008 at 18:20
I've entered this one.   I'm going for my first sub 2:00.
28/04/2008 at 10:52

Good luck sezz, r u following a schedule

finished my first tri yesterday - and my half training starts tomorrow so nice easy day for me today

28/04/2008 at 16:13

I've signed up for this one.  Interesting that Milton Keynes has 2 half marathons and we in Cheltenham don't have one to our name!

Buggerlugs - looks like we're looking for the same time - my pb is 1.42 but have dwnloaded the garmin training schedule for a 1.39.59 finish!  I'm doing Tewkesbury in 2 weeks which should be a good measure of how likely that is.

What is the crowd support like in MK?

29/04/2008 at 08:28

TF - good luck for Tewkesbury, my pb is 1.45 so hoping to knock 5 mins off. There are good crowds at the start and finish but a bit sparse around the course as it goes along the canal and red routes not through residential areas

let us know how u  get on in Tewks

29/04/2008 at 19:03

thanks,  yes i will let you know.  ooh canal sounds nice.  i've been to milton keynes just the once, lots of lakes and parks, looked nice a nice place to run.

tewkes is meant to be a fast one so i'm hopeful for a good time.  i've only recently bought my garmin 305 - how did i cope without one?!

30/04/2008 at 13:02

I'm just about to enter. Have completed 3 over the years, but not since 2004. Nice flat course, very similar route to the Nike MK Half that takes place in March each year.

Not as popular as the other Nike MK race, but usually a decent turn-out with crowds at the start and finish.

PB is 1.54 here, but will be happy with sub 2 hours as my racing is not so intense these days.

Looking forward to it.

30/04/2008 at 15:18

My PB course in 2004 (1:50), but that's probably due to being better trained than I've been for the March race.

I'll probably do it again this year as something to get me kickstarted on the marathon training for Beachy Head.

It's generally pretty flat apart from the occasional underpass and the slight incline towards the finish, there's a little congestion early on if you're not at the front, most of it is quite scenic, there's sporadic support as you get further through but I was getting nice encouragement even going up the canal. And was getting the occasional "Go on SVT!" shouted at me by random strangers (who turned out to be a forumite's parents with a list of race numbers and forum names).

In no shape at all at the moment, but hopefully I can slim down and speed up towards a sub-2 by July.

01/05/2008 at 23:31

TF - know what u mean about the Garmin - I am following a garmin schedule for this half, 2 days in and going well ........... ha ha see if Im still saying that after 4 weeks

SVT - good luck with the training

Have just filled in my entry form and posting it tomorrow

07/05/2008 at 18:48

Blue Knees - the route hasn't got much in common with the March half M - see http://www.mkhalfmarathon.org.uk/pdf_files/NSPCC_MarathonGreen_MAP.pdf.

I think they changed the route a few years back.

The canal bit can be challenging as there's up and over bridges to be done on tired legs but the main challenge is the weather.

I may be in this year, but will leave it until much nearer the time to decide.

08/05/2008 at 14:42
icemaiden - you know you want to do it .... ha ha yes the weather can be a big factor especially as it is starting to warm up now
08/05/2008 at 16:05

I'm 'training' from now on as if I were going to do it, but will decide much much much nearer the date whether or not to do it. If there's a chance of rain I'll do it, but if it's like this it'll be too hot for me.

08/05/2008 at 16:30
i done it last year was my first half  was good  very hot ,a bit hard near the end am in for this year too
1 to 20 of 681 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.