Old Deer Park Richmond Half Marathon

81 to 89 of 89 messages
24/02/2014 at 20:13

Generally enjoyed the race, but did find the towpath pretty brutal as a road runner! Course was also short for me. I ran on past the finish line and had it as 20.88 on my Garmin.

24/02/2014 at 21:55

Missed my PB by 4 seconds!! Probably took it too easy at the start/started too far back. Good event all in all

25/02/2014 at 13:34
Please can I ask for some advice. I found the second
Lap tow path made my soles of my feet feel like they
was being ripped to shreds. I had asics running
shoes and running socks. What do I need to do
to stop this pain again? Any suggestions please. Thanks
25/02/2014 at 14:35

hi Gavin my feet felt exactly the same, they were burning! I was wearing marathon specific socks and adidas boost shoes. If i were to run this again i would probably go with a thicker soled shoe with more cushioning like my brooks ghosts that i plan to use for a full marathon. On Sunday i could almost feel the stones stabbing into my feet, couldn't wait to get off that towpath

Cake    pirate
25/02/2014 at 15:57

Gavin I was in Asics’s as well. I do a far bit of fell running which might have been a factor but normally for a race I put on 2 pairs of socks and also put Vaseline on the soles of my feet to cut down on blister’s and it wasn’t a factor. So might be useful but as I said I do a fair bit of off road running which was probably more of a factor.  

25/02/2014 at 19:29

Thanks Lisa and Cake. Hope all goes well for the marathon and fell running for you both. I appreciate you responding. I seriously was close to giving up. Never felt such pain before when running, it was awful. You both must be made of tougher stuff, because I was lIke a baby with it. My wife can't understand why I only felt it when we did the second lap on the tow path? Was that the same for you? So how can I be prepared for such a surface, thicker souls? Double Socks? I did not expect it to hurt. My asics gel 1170 have been great for me on paths, roads and cycle paths. But this was awful. I don't want to go through that again. Thanks for your suggestions. 

26/02/2014 at 20:22

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know why the start was delayed? As far as I'm aware, it was supposed to be at 09:15.

26/02/2014 at 20:48

Hi James i think it was because people were still registering, the queue was massive even at 9am. Hi again Gavin it was a one off for you? I did feel it abit more on the second lap but i think that was because of my shoes and the fact i had a blister already before the race which i put conpeed over but still felt it. Thanks for the good luck

26/02/2014 at 20:59

Thanks for the clarification Lisa; I thought that queue was for the ladies portaloos!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 89 of 89 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.