Orion 15

21 to 33 of 33 messages
25/03/2006 at 19:26
Hard, hard, hard . . . ! But very enjoyable, despite being bugged with stomach cramps/stitch from mile 8 on.

Huge thanks to the marshalls and organisers - must have been a bit grim in the rain waiting for us tail-enders to stagger in.

Back next year.
25/03/2006 at 20:31
Very tough but very enjoyable. Thanks to all involved for the organisation.
25/03/2006 at 20:53
Cor it was tough wasnt it.

Yep AJH I did it, 2.47! very pleased especially with those poxy hill!

Marshalls were excellent - thanks guys.
Ultra AJH    pirate
26/03/2006 at 09:45
Well done Tilly, yes getting up (and down) those hills was an acheivement. I dont know why I am always so suprised when I do xc and there are lots of hills but I am never quite ready for them!
27/03/2006 at 08:25
We're glad you enjoyed yourselves, folks! It IS a very tough course, with our hills and mud - but Epping Forest is lovely... if you had time to look around. :-)
I was amazed to see that so many folk who missed the cut-off at 9 miles were enjoying themselves so much that they ran on!

For anyone interested, Results can be found here:
http://www.orionharriers.org.uk/
27/03/2006 at 09:17
I can see why Roddy loves the mountains, as I thought that is what we were ascending at about the 11 mile mark! He was an absolute star keeping me going (with chocolate and water) as the "last man in" I must admit I was tempted to climb into his rucksack for the last 3 miles though. Very well organised, with all the extra deep mud put round the course especially on the hills!
27/03/2006 at 11:10
Must admit, Im surprised I wasnt asked to stop when going through 9 miles slower than 1.30.

Glad you let us keep going (wasnt at the time). Organisation was excellent - thanks again.

AJH well done you too!
27/03/2006 at 11:29
I don't know how I missed this thread before the race, but I did.

Anyway, I managed 1.54, which I was pretty pleased with. I did 2.09 last year, but I was in the group that got misdirected and ended up doing the Orion 16 on that occasion!

It's a great race, which is why we come back every year. We'll be there again next year!

27/03/2006 at 11:34
I've added some race foties to the website 15 of them (but, of course!).
Slow to load though... even with broadband.
Mostly of the leaders after that 11 mile hill... and a couple at the start.
Ultra AJH    pirate
27/03/2006 at 12:13
How did you know if you missed the cut off?

Did someone say something to you? Didnt hear them if they did!
27/03/2006 at 12:17
Me neither AJH
27/03/2006 at 15:31
If you feature in the results (which you both did) then you were past the drinx station before 4.20. (just after 9 miles)
We delayed cut-off this time, cos the race started a wee bit late. After that, the sweeper removed some trail-paper, and all flags and mile markers were removed; cold, soggy race marshalls were advised they could now go home... eventually our timekeepers timed in the 209th runner just before 5.00pm.
Ultra AJH    pirate
28/03/2006 at 10:40
Ah! Thank God for the trail paper, its the only reason I am still not lost there!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.