Oxford Half Marathon

21 to 40 of 239 messages
03/06/2011 at 06:42
hmmm, site still says launching 2/6/11 but does nothing. Is that a bad omen, or have I done something stupid in the techhy department?!
03/06/2011 at 09:03

No Helen don't think it's you as I find it the same so not sure what's occurring.

Regarding closing the ring road - can't imagine that happening. I assume there must be a subway somewhere between the mini plant and Headington? There are certainly ways of going under the ring road on the route back e.g. Oxford Rd into Littlemore or isn't there a bridge at Rose Hill? 

03/06/2011 at 11:09

Website now saying it will go live today so looks as if something is happening behing the scenes and it should be up and running soon

http://www.oxfordhalfmarathon.co.uk/

03/06/2011 at 20:54
Looks interesting, although I hear they failed to consult with Oxfordshire AA or any local clubs, which is a bit odd and as of a few days ago hadn't applied for a UKA licence.  I hope that's not a reflection on the quality of the race organization as it could be a good event.
03/06/2011 at 22:01
Helen Liz wrote (see)
hmmm, site still says launching 2/6/11 but does nothing. Is that a bad omen, or have I done something stupid in the techhy department?!

i was thinking that too...i was wondering why they announced it before even getting a uk athletics licence and accepted road management plan confirmed?

simon, yes i think there is a bridge at R.hill...that would be the better option.....

03/06/2011 at 22:23

Map and course details on website now

04/06/2011 at 12:56

Ahh, that takes me back to my first ever outside run.  I was staying in Oxford with work at the Holiday Inn by the Kassam and cos there was no gym decided to try running, I ran down Grenoble Road where the route goes towards the BMW plant!

Let's hope they have finished the Heyford Hill roundadbout by then as the cycle track is very narrow past it at present!

04/06/2011 at 13:30
has anyone entered yet? im waiting for monday to do it online
05/06/2011 at 15:39

It is possible that they officially launched it to try to force the hand of the council. 

Like Mothrunner, i have also heard that it hasn't been officially measured, hasn't got a UKA road licence and the road closures/ traffic management plans haven't been agreed.  Until last Friday (ie 5 days after the newspapers broke the story) the organisers hadn't contacted Oxon AA or the local clubs.  Not sure who they will get to help with marshalling if they don't get the clubs on board, especially in view of the price of entry.  Before I cough up £20 i'd like to see some of these issues resolved.

It does seem very altruistic of someone from Somerset to set up a road race for those runners in Oxfordshire.... Must be a very kind hearted person.

05/06/2011 at 22:24
It seems that Mini say they aren't major sponsors of the event, and are unhappy about how their involvement has been portrayed.  There may well be good explanations for all these issues, but I would be very wary about parting with any cash at the moment.
05/06/2011 at 23:50
Mothrunner- i had heard that too.
06/06/2011 at 07:09

im holding on to my money too until all is explained.....odd that they have produced an entry form without a UKAL number...although i did notice on the bottom of the download form it says 'permit granted'.......

06/06/2011 at 07:19
Loulabell, they definitely don't have a license as yet. In fact afaik they haven't even applied for one.
06/06/2011 at 08:34
It all seems rather worrying, I'm going to err on the side of caution too and wont be putting an entry in unless it all becomes a bit clearer.
06/06/2011 at 13:19

ohhh..and i was so looking forward to it, hope it all comes good...hello mothrunner how are you?

06/06/2011 at 13:20
my initial enthusiasm has been dented
06/06/2011 at 13:23
mine too!!
06/06/2011 at 13:34
Hi loulabell -- I'm injured at the moment; a stress fracture in my shin.    So I'm missing all the great early summer races. Grrr. How are you?
06/06/2011 at 14:08
Know what you mean Loulabell and Gloryboy, I was looking forward to a new race in a scenic city.  Still it may yet come good.
06/06/2011 at 14:40

Being from the Oxford area originally, I would have loved to complete a half marathon here. Some nice features on the route - the BMW plant, the High Street and the City centre, and a big (as Oxford goes anyway) stadium finish. Along with a well loved local charity, and a massive local business headlining the sponsors it looked a must do. My dad, who lives in Oxford says there was loads of chat on radio Oxford last week about it, most of it positive.

However, if the route is not even agreed where does that leave it?

Whilst I think much of the ring road has a wide enough cycle track to accomodate a reasonable field it would struggle for more than 5000. There are still several crossing points that would require feeder roads to the ring road to be closed - the most notable being at Littlemore.

Does anyone know anything about who this "Oxford Half Marathon Ltd" who are organising it - who the directors are, and what other races they have been involved in arranging in the past.

A quick check at companies house indicates they were only formed in March this year, and therefore no accounts have been submitted. The address here is different to the address on the website - it appears to give the office of a local accountants. Googling the address on the half marathon website does not turn up much - they wanted to tarmac their front garden, and the local council turned it down! And someone nearby had to get their trees cut!  Nothing too alarming here.

I think my money will stay in my pocket until things become a little clearer - at least until the route is approved and a licence number is available.

21 to 40 of 239 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.