Oxford Half Marathon

141 to 160 of 239 messages
20/07/2011 at 20:50

Mick n Phil, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I don't attend the forum that often, we would be more than happy to have you run the Oxford Half Marathon and look forward to seeing you both on the 25th September.

Guys, just a note that if you have any queries or question please go to the website www.oxfordhalfmarathon.co.uk  as you will get a quicker response.

Message to Robert Logan, I have noted your comments in one of the Oxford newspapers and the mention that the road closures will call massive disruption (they will not as it is very important for us as race organisers to be sensitive to local residents, businesses and emergency services).

Without going into detail, I feel I know the reasons why you are against the staging of this race, I find it surprising because you are a local runner and member of a very local running club but whatever makes you happy.  If you have a real concern about us coming from Somerset, and the issues in general, please e.mail us on the website and we will come back to you. To assume that we have always come from Somerset and having no connections with Oxford is really quite naive.

Hope everybody who has entered really enjoy themselves we have got lots of entertainment not just for the runners but also the spectators and it will finish actually inside the stadium which will create a great atmosphere. Thank you for all your comments and  it really is not long to go now. Cheers Dave

21/07/2011 at 13:35

Hi Dave,

Well, you didn't read my letter that carefully! I did not use the adjective "massive" in terms of disruption and I merely said that your company's connections to Oxford were unclear. I was making a political point about the ethics of the City Council creating disruption to benefit a commercial company. Of course you may have an entirely different business arrangement with them but neither side has made this transparent.

As it happens I did e-mail you via the race web-site  but for whatever reason received no reply.

Edited: 21/07/2011 at 13:37
23/07/2011 at 14:30

Hello all,

Just read all of this thread - interesting stuff!

Anyway onto what is by far the most important aspect of all this....    Can any locals state whether this is likely to be a PB course? The website says 'fast and flat', and I've read that you go down the steepest hill and any uphills are pretty gentle. I'm considering a trip down for this, but partly cos I'll be chasing a time really. From what I can gather it looks pretty quick, but just wondered if any locals could confirm really.

Cheers

23/07/2011 at 16:46
LS21....Oxford is flat flat flat...i struggle to find anything hilly to train on...you will be fine
23/07/2011 at 19:05
The worst ups and downs are likely to be the underpasses
23/07/2011 at 20:29

Hi,

I entered the Oxford Half Marathon today via the online form on their website, and although I've had a receipt from RBS WorldPay, I haven't heard anything from the organisers to confirm my entry. I am a little bit worried, as it says on the website that "your place will be allocated and confirmed immediately". I have also emailed them (only a few hours ago though), but haven't had a reply yet. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

Edited: 23/07/2011 at 20:32
23/07/2011 at 22:27
RE LS21's query about a fast course, I'm afraid I'm not at all familiar with the route so can't comment on it's PB factor - but all of the responses so far are about it being flat, when there are many other things that can contribute to how "quick" a course is: it's twistyness, exposure to the elements, too busy / narrow, number of other runners (either getting in your way, or helping pace you along)....
Not really a helpful answer, I know. I guess it won't be until after the 9th October when people can compare times with other races, that we'll know for sure.
24/07/2011 at 06:53
Morning all,

Thanks for the responses re the course I just wanted to know how flat it was really. It doesn't look too twisty from the course map on the website, and I guess you just take your chances re the weather - so if it's a calm day then it's a quick course by the looks, which is all I wanted to know really.

So looks like I might be in for this then. Best get myself some accommodation sorted then!

Thanks again for info - much appreciated.
25/07/2011 at 09:36

Just spotted this but not sure whether i can get fit enough for it in time. Anyone tell me what medical support there will be there on the day?

25/07/2011 at 13:01

I have now received a confirmation email to say that my entry has been accepted

01/08/2011 at 17:17
Anyone know what's up with the website today?  Just tried to go on to put my entry in and it's not working.
02/08/2011 at 14:13

Seems okay now although I couldn't view it either earlier. Anyone any idea how many entries so far?

Regarding the PB question, I'd have thought the overall flatness of it would make it ideal but as mentioned there are other factors - the killer for me is the temperature. if it's anything like now my time will be hopeless. Fairly stil, dry and in the high teens will do nicely for me

08/08/2011 at 23:11
Hi all,

Oxford is a very flat city and late September is rarely that hot (famous last words) so if you're after a PB then go for it.

I've scanned the last 8 pages of comments and there seems to be a lot of negativity regarding the event and the organisers. A shame.

I'm deliberating between this 1/2 and the Blenheim 1/2 but I wish both the best of luck. I have no problem with a commercial company organising a 1/2 marathon and making a healthy profit: they are putting the effort in, they are taking a risk, they are dealing with loads of stakeholders and you can tell how tricky that will be. They deserve to do well. And £22 per ticket is a lot less than the Bath 1/2 which is a fantastic event in a lovely city but pricey at £36 or whatever I paid this year.

Happy August training everyone.
10/08/2011 at 14:06

I don't know aout everyone else but my training is not going well . I planned on running every day of my recent 10 day holiday in Pembrokeshire and managed just 3 shortish runs along the coastal path. I'm well behind where I'd like to be in terms of the longer distances although I managed ny second fastest 5k this morning so perhaps all is not lost.

How's everyone else doing?

BB

10/08/2011 at 18:54

Hi Guys,

Firstly, thank you right said aouita, for those comments, there has been a lot of negatively but sometimes that is just down to change and because it is a brand new event. We have to accept this but the race is full on 110%, road closures in place,  and we are really looking forward to it.

Just to give you some news, that Up and Running store in Oxford is doing a 10km run of part of the course at 11.30am on this Sunday 14th August meeting at the store. The shop will be open from 10am and everybody who signs up will get a free energy drink, stretching tips and 20% off full price running gear.

Also, I do know that the 1st 15 male and 1st 15 female runners who confirm will get a free custom design technical tee shirt.

Speak soon and if you have any queries about the race please go to www.oxfordhalfmarathon.co.uk

Many thanks

Dave (race organiser)

Pethead    pirate
10/08/2011 at 22:56
Local? Check. PB Potential? Check. Atmosphere? Check. Day after Midland Road Relays? Err, check.
Not much point in entering a big race if I'm not fresh, but I hope it's a success and becomes established
18/08/2011 at 09:46

I am an ordinary club runner in Oxfordshire and I am delighted about the arrival of the Oxford Half Marathon. I have entered and I am thoroughly looking forward to running on September 25th.  Thank you to the organisers.

It is however disappointing that the Oxfordshire Athletics Association are placing political pressure on local clubs to dissuade their member runners and marshals from taking part in the Oxford Half Marathon.  John Sear Chairman of the OAA even went as far as to state on the OAA website - " Please NOTE your times for this event might not be included by the Power of 10 statistics !"

Very democratic John!!

I am extremely disappointed with the OAA.  I joined my club to train with others and take part as a club member in races and I do not want to be drawn into the political agendas of sports administrators. I know that many local runners relish the prospect of a big open half marathon in Oxford. I truly hope that the event will be a sellout with wide participation from local club runners.

18/08/2011 at 16:15
Jim Whelan wrote (see)
John Sear Chairman of the OAA even went as far as to state on the OAA website - " Please NOTE your times for this event might not be included by the Power of 10 statistics !"

Very democratic John!!

I am extremely disappointed with the OAA.

Jim

The power of 10 is a UKA sponsored website, and the Oxford half has an ARC license and not a UKA license. What John says is slightly wrong, if the Oxford half is run under ARC license then the results will not be on power of 10. The same is true for the Wycombe half, lots of legitimate local runners but nothing recorded on the power of 10.

I do have an issue with the power of 10 being so petty, but what is said by OAA is true and factual and is down to the power of 10 and your irk should be addressed elsewhere.

28/08/2011 at 12:00
What is the power of ten?
You can always write your time down on a piece of paper and put it in a scrape-book.
28/08/2011 at 17:08

Seem to be a lot of petty people trying to kill this race before it's even started.

Saying the race won't appear on power of 10 is pretty pointless for 2 reasons.

1) Only anoraks even know what power of 10 is, or care

2)loads of races aren't on power of 10, as the UKA basically utilise bully boy tactics to try and force races to go under the more expensive UKA rather than ARC certification.

My 3 qualifying 10k times haven't made it onto power of 10 for the above reason so it's a sore point

141 to 160 of 239 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.