Paris Marathon 2010

Allez Allez 2010 - c'est le plus grand

8,201 to 8,220 of 8,503 messages
05/06/2010 at 10:49

Here you are Gem  There's loads of stuff on knitting on youtube

05/06/2010 at 11:21
Sitting in the test centre waiting to be called up. Scary times.
ATM
05/06/2010 at 12:55

'Afternoon, all.

I knew knitting would come back into fashion, Katb. I've even seen adverts in French magazines for tutors...lol..Another summer-job awaits, perhaps...The best ' How to..' site I've ever seen is videojug  You can learn how to do anything, there

I can hardly believe that  the Coasters Relay runners on the West Coast legs and DV's  family have managed to pick the elusive' Scottish summer' for their trips 'Can't wait to read the Arranman Report in full but it's bound to include references to ' sun'.

Is there a ' sick' end on the injury bench? * Not really sick but with the world's worst cold and still covered in great lumps from midgie bites. How could I have forgotten the anti-M cream? Ah, well..*

ATM
05/06/2010 at 13:42
Hope it passes soon ATM, hate feeling ill when it's a scorcher outside. Just prepared a mega barbie for the troops. Now have to clear the garage in preparation for the move in 4 weeks. Fortunately I have some beer stashed in the garage so it has it's advantages...
05/06/2010 at 14:40
I passed!!! Woop woop
05/06/2010 at 15:26
Blimey that's great news. CELEBRATION
05/06/2010 at 17:05

Hey OO, well done and convincingly masking your surprise!!

Nice one Gemma. Remember that shouty drunk the other day? Well, you'll get to meet far more odious, stupid, angry, selfish and unaware people on the roads through your driving career.  If I have one sentence of advice, is that you should always drive with your head and never your emotions.  Your primary objective is always to complete your journey safely. That thought should keep you safe from most of the nutters.

And very well done. Now please buy a Toyota because we really really need your money

Just got back from Eric, my running shop man. He's made some adjustments to my Brooks Adrenaline running shoes that I thought had just 100km of life in 'em and he reckons they'll last another 400k now. He also injected another 100k of life into my Asics DS Trainers. But Ibought some more of the Brooks as I start the next marathon training campaign next week.

On another note, has anyone on the thread every had a "Fat Ball" [technical term Subcutaneous Lipoma]?  Think I've got one on my left hip.  A little pea-sized lump under the skin that doesn't seem to be attached to anything. Best put my face in at the docs I think. Right, back to gardening. Hedge trimming.

Get well soon ATM. The world needs you, full of energy and life!

05/06/2010 at 20:16

Tricky what exactly did he do to your shoes, put springs on them.

Genster I'm bound to say you should not buy a car from that man.

Never heard of fat balls Tricky but my low mileage is giving me a bit of a lard arse.

05/06/2010 at 20:47
Good evening everyone!

Deeply into 18th birthday celebrations for the twins here. As a treat they went gliding over the pyrenees today; I was jealous!

Dark Vader - wow, reading what you achieved made me tired....bloody well done!

Gemma - Congratulations on passing your driving test? Are you street legal or was that the theory test?

Long run tomorrow (very early as too hot any later) I need it big time as I have overindulged.
05/06/2010 at 21:33

Congratulations Gem

TD yes I'd also like to know about the trainers. What did he do to them? I trust whatever it was isn't connected to the fat balls

06/06/2010 at 07:05

Gemster: congratulations and celebration what a clever girlie!!! 

Regarding insurance did an experiement - did appilcation and typed in Miss E J Claxton quote came back as £1800, then did it again and altered to Mr E J Claxton - came back as ....... £2,900!!!  Yikes!  So we ended up with a "Family Fleet" policy, that although the 3 other cars are slightly more expensive, Ed's car insurance came in at £1500 - still expensive but much better.

Am going out for a long one in about 20 mins.  Take care you all!!!  Have a fab weekend.

Hope you feel better today ATM.

Dark Vader    pirate
06/06/2010 at 09:08

That car insurance is unreal..!!   Bloody hell..   I know you are helping your son, PF, but a young person on his own on a modest income would really struggle with that...   does it drop quite rapidly as he builds up no claims bonus...?

So..  a bit of a report on Arranman 2010...

This Iron Man distance tri was ATM's idea with Arran as a good training location.   I have a Double Iron Man  event during the first weekend of August and it was good to get a single distance day as a marker for my current fitness levels and to experiment with food and drink.  ATM suggested this fab hotel  and the road around the island is precisely 56 miles - so..  twice round the island is the required 112 miles bike ride for the Iron Man.   The swim was done in the hotel pool and the run on a looped lap from the hotel.

The island is simply gorgeous in the sunshine..   I'm sure it could be quite harsh and bleak when the weather is not so good though.   We drove round the island and immediately knew that this wasn't going to be easy...   The southern part of the island has 28 miles of hills and technical riding.  I say hills..   it could easily have been the Alps..!   It was hard.  A constant grind and then some insanely fast downhill before a hairpin bend and up you go again..   it wasn't helped by the road surface.  I took my new bike, which was really fast when I got the chance to pick up some speed, but it is not designed for poor quality tarmac and every stone and lumpy bit of poorly filled in pot hole or road works came up through my hands into my neck and shoulders.  This made the ride really uncomfortable. 

If you have a bike, you probably have more than one ring at the front where the pedals are.  The bigger the ring, the faster you go.  This ride was so tough that I didn't get into the big ring at all for the entire 112 miles..!   Even on the flat bits it wasn't really possible...  so..  twice round the island and the bike was done.

I was perfectly supported on the ride by Mrs DV and the children and ATM.   It all worked out really well.

Dark Vader    pirate
06/06/2010 at 09:15

Part 2

The scenery on the bike was gorgeous.  Amazing views from the cliff tops and the sun shone.  It was a hot day to be doing something like that.   I have some comedy tan lines now..

So..   bike over, and it was back to the hotel for the swim.   I was feeling fine.   Not even tired really, although my neck and shoulders really ached from the vibration.    The hotel had set out a swimming lane for me so I wouldn't be jumped on by kids etc...  I got changed and then went down to the pool for the swim.   Despite that swimming is a part of tri and its the major factor in the A2A next year, I really don't like swimming and I'm not very good at it.   I'm getting better, but I'm not very good.   The water was very warm and I kept getting cramp.   That was very painful but luckily it eased quickly so I pushed on.  I was pleased when the 3.8km was done and ATM was very encouraging as we counted down the last 30 or so lengths.

Then.. out of the pool, and back to get changed again and just the marathon to run...

Dark Vader    pirate
06/06/2010 at 09:31

Part 3

The run route was on a flat road but with no lighting and lots of overhanging trees.  I was concerned about the day light hours and I made the decision that I'd run until about 11pm and then we'd call it a day as it would be too dangerous otherwise...    

So..  I head out and start running and ATM waited for me at the end of the looped laps to give me a drink...  Mrs DV had the gels and more drink in the hotel lobby...    in the time available I think we got to about 15 or 16 miles..  something like that..  I'm not totally sure as my Garmin had stopped earlier when  the battery died.   It didn't matter though..  it was only a matter of time and I could have gone on to do the full distance if the light had been better.  Plus.. ATM was being eaten alive by midges..  and I've since found out that so was I.  My arms are covered in the bite marks...

We called it a day and headed for the bar in the hotel for a beer.   That is where that video clip was done.   I couldn't drink my Guinness.    I had about three sips but just didn't want it... 

Overall, it was a really brilliant day and I learned a lot.   Physically, it gave me confidence that my training is going well and that I can knock out an IM with no side affects.  I honestly wasn't stiff or suffering at all.  I put this down to my training, pacing and correct fuelling strategy. 

The support from ATM is amazing.  What a woman.  She spent the day with my family, who she hadn't previously met, and that was quite a brave thing to do!   She is a brilliant supporter and even surprised me with a medal and goody bag afterwards.  And, of course, it would have been impossible without Mrs DV and the kids.

The rest of holiday has been a lot of fun and we have been sooooooooo lucky with the weather.   Arran was great.  We will definitely be going back.  

Dark Vader    pirate
06/06/2010 at 09:39

ATM took loads of photos..  when she is better, maybe she will compile a montage in that way that only she can.  The flag waving, music and general cheering and support was excellent and made it such a good day.  

Triathlon is really good fun... you don't need to do silly distances such as this..   there plenty of shorter distance options available.    You also don't need to spend lots of money on a bike either.  Mrs DV has done three sprint distance tri's on her heavy old mountain bike.   If running and constant injury is holding you up, then perhaps consider a multi-sport event with less running as a component.  

Dark Vader    pirate
06/06/2010 at 10:07

Gem..  really well done... 

TD..   what did the guy do to your shoes to give them more life...?   And.. fat balls..?   Never heard of those before.... 

OO..   a barbie sounds good...  won't be long now until you are back with the family.. 

06/06/2010 at 11:29

Sounds like a great place to race DV, hope the weather held up today, turned to rain here. Got caught in a torrential downpour this am but still managed 9 miles in 1:20.

I think the issue with UK insurance starts with the lack of police checks. In the UK I haven't been stopped by the police in 15 years, in Paris me and my wife have been pulled over 3 or 4 times each to check documentation. For that reason too many people in the UK don't bother with insurance which drives up the price for those who do.

06/06/2010 at 11:37

DV:  Ed is also doing his "pass plus" which will knock about £200 off once acquired - the cost of pass plus is £160.  Once no claims kicks in it will get better, we have informed him that next year he'll have to pay the road tax - £125 as low cc engin, then the following year contribute to the insurance.  Feel its better to lay the ground rules so that he knows what is expected of him.  With us being in Jersey and him in the UK we really don't have much choice as it means my mum isn't a taxi service!!!

What a fab report DV - am seriously thinking of a tri - they do one with open water swimming here in Jersey!! 

Did a very hard and hilly 7 miler today, was going to use the last mile as a cool down when Mr PF drove past so I had a lift home.  Am going to use this route as a regular trott and just extend as, when or if I feel the inclination!!

ATM
06/06/2010 at 12:19

ATM
06/06/2010 at 12:35
What a woman that ATM....
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.