Paris Marathon 2010

Allez Allez 2010 - c'est le plus grand

8,421 to 8,440 of 8,503 messages
29/06/2010 at 10:24

Employed Engineer - cool congrats on the job. 

TD - hope the interviews work out for you

No running for me this weekend.  Consultant tomorrow so hopefully he will guide me as to whats going on and how to sort it.

Paris registration is not normally until September time I think.

29/06/2010 at 12:36
Rain here this am, but not discouraged I did a slow 4 miles. Massage tonight so in fear of the pain. At £30 a go I might make this the last one.
29/06/2010 at 12:41

This morning's run was a toughie - 18k - and my running partner beasted me. Should my HR be at 94% any time during a Medium Long run? No, not really.  I can take no comfort from the fact it's going to be hotter tomorrow and I have to do a 21k before work.

Interviews went really well I think. Even if I have done ok so far, still another 5 hours worth of interviews to go, including with the CEO. So I'll keep schtumm about it but will post if something good things happens.

29/06/2010 at 13:48
Well done on what sounds like an arduous interview process TD, fingers and toes are crossed for you.

I ran my little 3m jog in a solid wall of rain last - I have to say it was thoroughly refreshing after running in the heat. My recovery is still going awfully slowly and I'm still finding it hard work. I knew that my fitness was going to dive after my complete lack of cross training during my time off but I didn't realise it'd be this hard! However I went to a yoga workshop for runners on Saturday in a bid to prevent any future injuries and quite enjoyed it.

PF you're the yoga expert aren't you? Would you say that Ashtanga would be the best for me to take up? I'm not really into the meditative side so thought that might be best.

I'm also going for a swim after work tonight so hopefully the non fitness will start improving. Love having the lovely car!
29/06/2010 at 17:54

TD: another 5 hours!!  Crickey - good luck.  21km before work - enjoy that.

NGUG:  let us know how you get on tomorrow - what time is the appointment?

Helter:  Ashtange or Power Yoga as some call it is a fast moving yoga, Hatha you hold the poses for longer and is, supposedly more gentle.  The great thing with yoga is that if you want to really stretch things out  and aid recovery from an injury then Hatha is the one for you.  Or if you are uninjured and want a work out then Ashtanga is the one.  If you can find a "hot" yoga or "Bikram" yoga class give that one a go - really tough!!  Just remember yoga is all about the "form" of each pose being correct rather than how "deep" into the pose you go.  For a female it is always amusing to watch the men in competition with each other to see how far into a posture they can forve their bodies which really is not yoga at all!!   Enjoy though - you will ache in places you didn't know existed if you do either yoga the following day - all in a good way.  It is particularly good for hamstrings and excellent for core strength.  Hope I haven't bored you - any help!!!!.

Went out later than planned - at about 10.30 by this time the clouds had cleared and was very warm.  Managed 4miler 3 along the up and down coastal path - for some reason very hard work today.  Will go out at 7am tomorrow morning and repeat the route just to see if any easier when not so warm!!  This heat stuff is a killer!!  Does it actually benefit running in the heat - build stamina in some way - any offers?

29/06/2010 at 19:06
evening all, how are we coping post marathon?
29/06/2010 at 23:13

Now then Adie.  Post injury for me, not post marathon!

Entered Wistow 10 mile the other day.  Its later than last year's is it not?

Dark Vader    pirate
30/06/2010 at 04:30

TD..  without giving away any corporate information, what do you do during an interview that lasts for 5 hours...!  

30/06/2010 at 05:22
LR yes later to try and avoid some other races, sholdbe marshalling with shouty lad again this year
30/06/2010 at 07:29
 Lots of sun in the North East today- enen during my 5:30 am run.
ATM
30/06/2010 at 07:59

Drat, OO.I just logged in to brag about being out at 6 a.m.

Don't tell him, TD! He'll just want to do it. On a bike. * Aqnd good luck with the rest of the process.*

Adie! Hello. Doing Paris 2011?

ATM
30/06/2010 at 08:23

Mornin' all.  Just been catching up.  Hope you get the job TD.  When did they say they would let you know?  One good thing about teaching interviews is that you know on the day of the interview.  From past experience in the private sector I know it can be nerve racking having to wait for that phone call or letter.

Good luck with the move OO.  Not long now.

I've been trying to stick to the RW schedule for 4h30 and had to go to the gym to do my speed work yesterday as I fell asleep after work on Monday and only woke up at 7pm (which is when I should've been at the club speed session).  Antihistamines to blame again.  Even the non-drowsy ones make me sleepy and as I'm full of midge bites, I really need to take them.

5 miles slow scheduled for me tonight but as I've got a 10k tomorrow I'm thinking of moving that to Friday. I've also got a gym session with PT tonight so I'll just see how it goes.  I might just do the 5 straight after the gym.  Decisions, decisions....

ATM
30/06/2010 at 08:26
Kat, do you use Avon''s  Skin so soft'?  I swear it keeps the midgies away...
ATM
30/06/2010 at 10:24

Morning all.

Diid the same route this morning at 7.30am rather than 10.30 as yesterday and oh what a difference, it was fab and I added an extra 1/2 mile so ended up just under 5miles.  Obviously running in the heat makes you work harder and builds stamina!!  Am going for a bike ride later this morning should be good. 

NGUG:  let us know what the consultant say today, am thinking of you.

30/06/2010 at 10:46

I have no experience of this BTW, just imagining a male response to Fiona's advice about Yoga:

"For a male it is always entertaining to watch the women in the yoga class, to see how far into a posture they can stretch. This really is not yoga at all but it's probably the reason why men seem to be competitive"

Well, a HM done before work today. I survived but feeling appropriately sleepy and desk-bound now.

DV - I think there will be a 4 hour interview (if I make the next cut) with an exec recruiting person - the idea being to do a full personality/ psychometric/ management style analysis, which, if the person is appointed, leads directly into an executive development plan. So they don't hire expecting you to be the finished article, but with a profound understanding of your strengths, weaknesses and pressure points, so they can help you do a better job in future. Sounds very progressive. I should know within a week if I'm going forward.

After that, there'd be a 1-2-1 with the CEO. It's a senior position, so he has to trust you and give the nod. Part of me wishes I'd not mentioned it, because I'm nervous if nothing comes of it. But I figure you're my friends in this funny, virtual, sometimes physical way.

TheEngineer    pirate
30/06/2010 at 12:20
30/06/2010 at 12:38

PF - all back in one piece from the consultant.  Very nice chap - listened v.carefully to what I had to say  he obviously knew what he was taking about - bit of hip manipulation done too - and facinating fact both my legs are exactly the same length 37 inches.  He thinks he knows what it is its either a hip impingement which maybe that the ball and socket dont meet quite right or alternatively its this http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/hip_and_thigh/acetabular_labrum_tear_full.php.  If he is right and it is either of these it looks like key hole surgery will be necessary.  He wanted to get me in for an MRI scan asap so thats booked for this Friday at 8am.  No messing.  Strangely if someone had said to me a month or two ago that I would have to have keyhole surgery on my hip I probably would have fainted and died - now I am just relieved that action is being taken to sort it.

Anyway, no running for me today hip is quite jippy still.  No Mick tomorrow - his Mrs just had a little girl so wont see him for a week.

30/06/2010 at 13:03

NGUG:  Am pleased you have made head way and must be very reassuring for you that he knows what he is talking about particularly as keyhole surgery is involved.  When do you get the resutls?  Great that you will get it sorted.

TD:  very funny = and probably quite true.

30/06/2010 at 13:06
Slowengineer:  fab blog - keep posting the link and I'll keep reading!!!!  Any tips on getting quicker always good.  Mine is run in heat makes running in the cool much easier!!!
30/06/2010 at 13:19
Good luck, TD.
8,421 to 8,440 of 8,503 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.