Paris Marathon 2012

le marathon en Paris...

11,401 to 11,420 of 11,765 messages
22/07/2012 at 08:41

Well I am ashamed to say it but from 1.30pm yesterday until 1am this morning I was in the pub. All good at the time but its going to be one very long day at work. Needless to say todays 12 miles didnot happen.  its now torrential rain and I will have to walk to work.......

22/07/2012 at 08:56
In that case Dannirr you go ahead and do exactly as you're told .

More running jaunts on the horizon - if everything goes to plan, I'm hoping to do a section of the South West Coastal Path, around Exmoor, over the Bank Holiday weekend. Unlike the last excursion this is self organised, so we've got the trains and accommodation booked, now we need to arrange the baggage transfers. Or I'll be running the path towing a wheelie bag.

Saw Robin Knox-Johnson with the flame yesterday at Cutty Sark - which was quite nice, because they didn't bring all the buses and sponsorship stuff round Cutty Sark, it was just him and a few other people running. And he looked so happy!

Out this morning for some exercise, then welded to the sofa for Wigfest this afternoon, I think.
Edited: 22/07/2012 at 08:58
Dark Vader    pirate
22/07/2012 at 09:02
Dannirr wrote (see)
RS - she is indeed about 2 feet shorter than me - but one thing that may shed insight into why I still try not piss her off is that at age 16 she fought hand to hand combat in Israel's 1948 war of Independance, and then when surrounded managed to escape carrying two small children with he to safety - and she's lost none of that even at her aged 81!

How cool to have a Ninja Mum   

22/07/2012 at 10:20

DV - Cool and a little scary  Can't wait to here more about how your plans are going

Gorgeous weather here - much too warm for running, where's the rain and wind that kept me cool

22/07/2012 at 11:53

Ugh....pensions....ugh.....that is all.

Time off to watch Wiggo and Cav steam to glory this afternoon though....

ATM - I'm on 40 miles per week just now - my legs are knowing about it.  

ATM
22/07/2012 at 13:36

Go, yer_maj!

* The running, not the tax stuff...*

ATM
22/07/2012 at 14:20

Last day of the tour.

22/07/2012 at 14:22

Did my 22k in the sun today. Felt pretty ok but was quite tired for the last 1k.

I often wear a HRM and my readings have often been a bit higher than I would have expected but Yoda Tricky told me not to worry as some people (DV for one) have higher heart rates than others.

However, on my run today, my readings for one particular 30 minute section went above 200 on 7 occasions - peaking at 219. Yet this was one of the sections were I was feeling pretty good.

I've tried a search for Maximum heart rates and they all seem to be based on a value of 220 - something.

Am I some kind of bluebottle/human hybrid (I do like sugary things). Is my HRM dodgy? or could some other thing (sweat, movement etc) have caused strange readings?

22/07/2012 at 14:48
Orbutt: I very much doubt your heart rte was that high, irrespective of age. I s more likely a technical error. Heart rates that high fit into the definition of certin arrythmias, which I'm sure you don't have. Next time you see a number like that, stop and take your pulse manually - bet it s way, way lower.

Did 10m along the ocean boardwalk in Cape Town today,after a long family brunch which itself came after the most rocking wedding last night. Good times, or as is said here, Mkosi!

Now to watch le Tour.
22/07/2012 at 15:37

Dannirr - sage advice. What a incredible woman your Mum must be.

Orbutt - clearly an error in the HRM. Obviously, however, if you feel unwell and the numbers are very high, stop and chill. (I'd be in hospital with an HR of 219.) By the way, what is your next race? 

TdeF - isn't it wonderful, I don't want it to end! I did the Northumberland Coastal Run (simply the best race I have ever done) this morning in my yellow Paris t-shirt - and they gave out yellow, long-sleeved cycling jerseys at the end! A first time for that and I assume related to Wiggo et al. Haven't see any champers yet, though...

ATM
22/07/2012 at 15:55

This is way too exciting , for my old heart...

Cracking idea for Finisher jerseys, Iain.

ATM
22/07/2012 at 16:31

ATM - Indeed - I'm very impressed! Btw, check out the Northumberland Coastal Run for 2013, the best and most beautiful run in this part of England... And not too far from Glasgow!

Oh, and, WHAT A WAY TO WIN!! FANTASTIC STUFF!

22/07/2012 at 16:36
Aaaargh!

I'm not sure my nerves are going to be able to stand the next few weeks if it's all going to be that tense. Way to go guys. Apparently Tartan Pimpernel is planning to crack open the Pol Roger and play the National Anthem out the window, loud, in Paris.

Was that Ferris wheel thingy there for the marathon? Was that another major landmark I missed?
ATM
22/07/2012 at 16:40

I hope you were paying close attention. RR

ATM
22/07/2012 at 17:50

Iain - at no point did I feel ill and when I was supposed to beating like a hardcore techno track I was actually feeling really good  Next proper race is the Warrington Half on September 9th but I'm taking part in a 5k fun run (with Mrs O ) on Saturday.

Loved the cycling jersey touch too.

I'm sure that I wasn't the only one to shout at the tele when the commentator said that the Champs Elysee is only closed twice for the Tour and Bastille Day.

22/07/2012 at 18:06

Done a bit of searching about the high readings and it would appear that it could be a static build up between shirt/unit/strap. There are a couple of suggestions, one of which is to use the Polar strap with the Garmin unit, so I may give that a go. Another is to wash the strap and make sure it is clean/tight and in good contact.

I'll let you know how it goes.

How good it is to have a couple of medical professionals to hand, too - thanks Gents

Edited: 22/07/2012 at 18:07
22/07/2012 at 19:15
Orbutt - absolutely no medical qualifications at all here but agree I think you'd know if your heart was going that fast. Could also be interference - I don't know if this is just an urban myth, but were there any power lines or possible other electronic sources around?

Just for fun this morning, instead of a long run, I had a little try at, er, a little tri. Quite unofficial, and all in the wrong order, the grand total of 7.1k bike, 7.2k run, 800m swim (strange distances due to complicated logistics). Quite enjoyed it, but I don't see myself going all piratey any time soon. And I did half the swimming on my back, which I don't think is allowed . Still, makes a change! And ATM - I will get better on the bike. Today I think I would have been faster running. By next July I'll be just like Cav (only with smaller thighs, I hope).
Edited: 22/07/2012 at 19:17
ATM
22/07/2012 at 19:49

http://www.foska.com/images/thumbnails/0/450/450/RJ_IRNBRU_4M_FR.jpg

You just need one of these, RR, and we're good to go. 'Tartan' can run.I know where we can have lunch.What can go wrong?

ATM
22/07/2012 at 19:59

or one of these, from today's coastal run

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/297347/gallery/coastal2012_0.jpg?width=350

22/07/2012 at 20:42
Orbutt - excellent, you're going to be VERY fast in Warrington.

OO - great top, no? Hope you enjoyed it today. I would've been happier with the wind at my back, not in my face the whole time!

Iain
11,401 to 11,420 of 11,765 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.