Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

2,461 to 2,480 of 19,622 messages
07/10/2012 at 19:59

Eggy - sounds like it was a bit of a battle for you today - impressive time! Glad you made it, glad your groin is intact....glad you enjoyed it.  Enjoy the food mountain then come back and give us the details, man!

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 20:00
07/10/2012 at 20:03
Sorry to hear that yer_maj - must have been a shock for everyone.

Eggy - sounds like a real 'character-building' run, well done. And always good to hear of someone beating my PB even though their groin is disintegrating . I hope you're attacking a plate of ribs now.

PF - that's a bit of a quick one, well done you!

This morning was spent supporting for the Royal Parks half. I'm getting quite good at shouting at people in the street - should be good practice for when I'm old and crazy. I noticed a few determined-looking types amongst the runners, wearing Camelbaks and with a 'U' at the start of their numbers. And right enough, there's a 50k ultra run as part of the event this year. They start with the Half competitors, then cross the river, back through Richmond Park, and finish in Bushey Park. Might be one to consider next year, although it would be a challenge to keep the pace right at the start.
Edited: 07/10/2012 at 20:06
07/10/2012 at 20:13
YM - condolences. Sad news.

PF - great stuff, well done

Eggy- excellent I'm hoping for something like that injury free.
07/10/2012 at 21:30
Glad the groin just about held out Eggy, well done
07/10/2012 at 21:53

I thnk I must put Steamtown Marathon on my list for next year. Known as a fast course, mostly downhill. A friend wih a previous PR of around 4.04 finished today in 3.35.  

Guess I should really just try finish the one next week before I consider others!

07/10/2012 at 22:01

YM - that's really sad news.   HUGS for all!

Eggy - way to go!!!  that's a brilliant time with 16 miles of injury pain!

PF - yeah, I agree with yer_maj...you + race = space blanket.  It's just got to be done.  Looking forward to the photo

Windsor half done and dusted for me with a new PB.  Only 2 mins off the old one so now down to 1:53:40ish.  didn't remember the course being as hilly as that from last time I did it FYI, don't mention a possible the sub whatever amsterdam!  you never know what's going to happen over twice the distance!

07/10/2012 at 22:11

YM: condolences for the loss in your family

Eggy: Fricken awesome - 4.04 is a fantastic time especially when injured. You can tick chicago of your list and be proud of that score. I would love to get that. I'm thinking my best half time x 2 + 26 minutes and i will be happy.

PF: good 8 min mile averaging - thats about where i am with my training at the moment - seeking the 45min 10K and 1.50 half marathon.

RS: windsor half - plan to do that one in the future. Well done on the PB - i just PB'd at the GNR a fw weeks back. Just recover well and keep your training maintained. Well done everyone for their efforts today (including me)

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 22:11
07/10/2012 at 22:35
Sorry to hear your news YM.

Great running in today's races PF, RS and Eggy.
So, sub 4 in Amsterdam then RS?
07/10/2012 at 22:46
Eggy - fantastic run, congratulations. Hope you really enjoyed it and are chilling out properly.

Yer maj - very sorry to hear; hope your MIL and Mr Maj have some solace in that it will likely have been a sudden thing.

Jimbob - I suspect I'm just bad at marathons but my last was my most recent HM x2 + 49!
07/10/2012 at 23:15

Eggy:  fab run you - hope groin doesn't play up too .congrats!!!

Radar:  oh NGUG and I know exactly how hilly windsor is - was a heatwave the year I did it - horrid!!!  Excellent pb - amsterdam you'll fly round - not a lot of hills in amsterdam are there.

Swim for me tomorrow then 4 hopefully tuesday, nice and gentle back into the R2R plan!!!!  Tape is now removed ........

07/10/2012 at 23:16

yer_maj:  my condolances, take care of you and yours.

07/10/2012 at 23:24

Heatwave, she says.  Like that's news....

Well I just popped out to the pub quiz round the corner and on the way back thought I'd just try a teensy weensy run...of about 30 paces but it didn't hut at all so I am holding out lots of hopes for the official tryout on Tuesday.  I also recruited another one for Paris

I smell a big fat sub 4 in the 'Dam, Ms Radar....

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 23:25
07/10/2012 at 23:27
IM2: hey mate that's better than me, that's my target but in my only ever marathon (VLM2010) I got nowhere near that.2xhalf pb at the time plus 75 mins! Theres no science to that equation. It's just me saying to myself - if I run a minute a mile slower than I usually run, I'll get round without stopping and still run an ok time. My splits in London were 2.16 first half 3 hours second (although I shouldnt really have run with the Achilles injury I picked up in training) so really I bombed big time. Desperate to run VLM injury free. On a positive note I did run 26 of the 26.2 miles. Just very slowly. Let's hope we all get into Paris and have a decent crack at our personal targets, for me it will be between 4-4.10.
07/10/2012 at 23:45
RS: using the Jimbobs dodgy equation to calculate marathon finish time, you would come in at 4.12 in the Dam. What's your pb over 26.2? Would u be happy with a 412?
08/10/2012 at 00:47

Jimbob:  RS has already done a 4.07 in Paris earlier this year.  She's gonna smoke the Dam and come in at 3.53.

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 00:47
08/10/2012 at 02:42
RR - It looks like you are in great form for Amsterdam. If things go to plan on a course like that you should smash sub 4.

RS - I won't jinx it, but sub 4 sounds possible for you too, as long as the stamina is there to back up that pace.

I'm now feed and watered. Italian beef sandwiches rule. I also found a pub that TD and DLR would enjoy based on the recent ladies footwear discussion on here!
08/10/2012 at 04:23

Glad you enjoyed my hometown's race, Eggyh!  I've never run it myself, since I don't train well for long distances in the summer.  Cooler spring marathons are my forte, although I wish I could have traded this year's Boston for Chicago.

08/10/2012 at 06:55

Covers eyes/ears and metaphorically shouts very loudly! "LA LA LAAAAA LAA LA LA LAAA LAAA"  SHHHHHH!!!!!! I'll say what I said to others: in spring I did just under 1:56 in a training half and got 4:07 for Paris. I am planning on going for a faster than ever before toodle around Amsterdam but will NOT be thinking of that resulting a sub 4, before it is in the bag. Too much can happen over 42.2 kms (26.2 miles for the traditional among us) and the last 10 kms are generally a killer for me. So shhhhhhh!!!!!! Think it (thanks for the good thoughts ) but don't mention it to me.

08/10/2012 at 07:38
RS & DANNIRR: 4.07 in Pareee WOW, and off a 1.56 half is pretty even pacing well done RS, the sub4 is on. I wish I could smoke a sub4 marathon, but I'll concentrate on staying healthy and hopefully pace will bring in early to mid 4s.
I did smoke something in Amsterdam in a former version of me back in the 90s but it wasnt a long assed legs'a'achin run!
08/10/2012 at 07:43

Morning all.

RS - No probs

It is soooooooo  cold here today. I was going to try a wee run this morning but instead thought I'd leave it until after work in the hope that it'll be a little warmer. Mouth still sore but feeling a bit better. Think I may  use my Paris buff today when running for the first time ever!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.