Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

2,501 to 2,520 of 19,622 messages
08/10/2012 at 11:56
yer_maj wrote (see)

Can you?  Really???

With the aid of some photograph albums admittedly.

ATM
08/10/2012 at 12:01

'morning, all...Super running , over the weekend all round.

Great running, Eggy! You're heading into winter with loads of endurance running already in hand. Time to get up early on a Saturday and use Parkrun for a bit of speed? * Helterskelter, where are you? I haven't been for ages and need a kick, or a pal, to get me back to the Park..*

Welcome to the thread, SP13. 40? 40? I am much older than OO...although not as mature..At 57, I think I am , actually, the oldest, here.'Don't look a day over 56, they tell me....

Just over a week to go...

ATM
08/10/2012 at 12:51
Cheers Tricky D. Great advice, oh shxt now I gotta psych myself up for 5 x 20 mile runs in Jan/Feb/March! I'm sure its doable (gulp)
08/10/2012 at 13:55

*Waves back to NGUG

Totally doable Jimbob. tot-ally. Especially as you've a few months to come to terms with it

Eggy??? Where are you? How did you go?   Hi ATM I'm here, i've been dropping in and out as I always seem to when I can't get to run. It's been over 4 weeks now since my last run . I think I'm finally over the plague though, I can breathe again at least. I do still feel tired but am thinking I could go a little run. I won't be able to make parkrun this week though as I've to go to my sister's wedding dress fitting. You should definitely go though, you can spread some parisian style amongst the weegies! 
08/10/2012 at 14:04

In the manner of Marie Antoinette "Let them drink Buckie"....

08/10/2012 at 15:00

I'd really forgotten how quick this thread moves.....

Think I had a question  from Simon aobut 6 pages back. Hi Simon, calf muscle cleared up pretty quickly after I'd pulled out of Lochaber enabling me to do my 2nd Edinburgh. Although it's not my favourite marathon.

Got my last 20-miler done for Snowdonia on Saturday. Just 3 weeks to get myself into a state of nervous exhaustion......

Actually ATM, you're not the oldest on here......

08/10/2012 at 15:38

SP a very warm welcome to the madness, urm .... I mean spectacularly clever people of this thread.  40 - wow that was nearly 8 years ago, oh I forgot am now counting backwards!!!!

Emmy:  congrats on the half and look after your legs they are an intricate part of being able to run.

TD:  enjoy your turbo bike - (whispering as don't want to look more daft than usua)l, what is a turbo bike?

Helter:  af the end of my trott on sunday, the thing I really found hard was .... breathing ...  very odd!!!!!.

08/10/2012 at 18:13

Goldeagle I've just checked out the course profile for snowdonia.......yikes! That is steep!

PF I hate it when the breathing is difficult, it's like going back to the beginning all over again. The change in seasons can do it sometimes though I find and we have winter fast approaching, though I expect your sunny climes are still relatively pleaseant?

08/10/2012 at 19:30
I struggle with my asthma in the cold damp of November. My chest always feels so weak and I end up using my blue inhaler more regularly. The brown inhaler don't really cut it in the damp.
Edited: 08/10/2012 at 19:31
08/10/2012 at 19:42
Princess Fiona wrote (see)
TD:  enjoy your turbo bike - (whispering as don't want to look more daft than usua)l, what is a turbo bike?

Hey Fiona - a Turbo trainer is like a treadmill for bikes. So you can stay inside in a fog of your own sweat and do a super-tough workout, without getting cold, coasting downhill, knocked off, or erm, dressed (properly).

Dannir - I got one of these.

08/10/2012 at 19:50

The lady on that bike has bothered to get dressed properly....shame on you and your slovenly ways TD

08/10/2012 at 20:05

Bloody Heck..........another fast moving day on this!!! Wish I could run as fast!!

I got my first run done since Thursday, and nothing fell off!! It was only 4 miles @ mp thou!!

TD  - Your comment about the 20+ milers has boosted my confidence.......all  in the bag!! 

Emmy - Well done........sounds hard!

SP - Welcome! Just to be nosey what date is your birthday.......mines in the week after Paris too??? 10 Marathons before your 40 Thats some achievement!

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 20:06
08/10/2012 at 20:37

SP - welcome to the parisian nut house!  It's more of a pub with a warm cosy atmosphere...until you start talking to the regulars...then it gets very strange and varied indeed

Emmy - congrats on the royal parks and look after that hammie!!!

Kaz - YAY!  Sounds like the drugs have kicked in

I bunked on a recovery swim this evening and came home to eat my weight in fish & chips and masses of vegetables that were supposed to be my dinner.  Dinner x2...I'm very full. 13 sleeps to go!

the JB - 5x20mile runs?!?!?  I only do 2x20miles for each marathon...are you going over to the coach tricky school?

08/10/2012 at 20:58
Hello from the big apple. Sadly Chicago is behind me now, but now to live it up in a post race New York stylee. Starting with a burger and then watching some Americans batter each other over a pig skin ball.
08/10/2012 at 20:59

I did 7 runs of 20-23 miles ahead of Paris this year and had done 2 in the first 6 weeks of Amsterdam training.  I do think it was a big help in Paris, psychological as well as physical.

08/10/2012 at 21:06
Boy, this thread moves - no wonder I was bored on the Berlin thread...

Eggy - living the life!

Jimbob - I have no ability to pace a marathon. My fastest, 4hr13, was set after a (fairly) effortless and enjoyable GNR of 1hr45, my slowest, 4hr38, after a Glasgow half of 1hr59. No formula works for me in other words!

Oh yeah, one of the Berlin guys was blogging about the race and mentioned that it'd come to him about 35k in that 'marathon running was hard'... Frankly, noone has to wait until 35k to work that out!

Good luck all for the 'Dam.
08/10/2012 at 21:07

hmm...there maybe something in this more 20 miles runs...hmm...I'll save it for next time.  TAPER is now in full effect.  Taper, taper, taper, taper, taper...here's comes the MARATHON, taper, taper, taper...(to the tune of the badger, badger, badger thing)

08/10/2012 at 21:19

RS, DLR, TD: i wasnt planning on running 5 x 20 mile! was more likely going to do 2x16, 1x18 and 1x20 if i'm honest plus 3 or 4 half marathons, plus increase my midweek runs to 8-9 miles after xmas. I have Reading booked for 2 weeks before Paris which i always do and enjoy. I'll be in taper but want to have a good run on that day. Probably do my 20 mile the week before Reading. At the moment i am content with 10k Hilly, 10k fast, 8mile on a sunday morning. Planning to increase to 10 mile on a sunday morning from 21/10. Then RTTB on 28/10. If i can get my long distances up to 10-13 miles once a week on a Sunday well before xmas then maybe i could attempt to squeeze in a few 20 mile runs between Jan-Mar - its a big ask. As long as both my kids keep up their ballet then those two and my wife are out of the way for a couple of hours and my training doesn't encrouch on the family life too much. They're whingin about ballet a bit and may want to give it up (and we dont wanna pay if they dont enjoy it!) ....... oh the whinging!

08/10/2012 at 21:21

DLR - Jeez! 7 x 20+ runs in training - you're hardcore! Death Valley?

08/10/2012 at 21:26

basically if we all eat untold cheese, cadbury biscuit selections and endless poutry and cranberry sarnies for the week over crimbo we're gonna be in big trouble come the new year!  And 20 mile runs are going to be tough let alone 5 (but i will aim high) TD if ive done two by 1st march and aiming for a third that will be good going and you can say "well done that jimbob"

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.