Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

2,601 to 2,620 of 19,627 messages
Dark Vader    pirate
09/10/2012 at 16:24

Dannirr..   she has given me the phone number for her colleague who will be at the finish..  I will pass this to ATM..  she has asked to be kept up to date with progress and they will make an annoucement as we approach the finish...  local TV and press will also be notified...

Dark Vader    pirate
09/10/2012 at 16:29

yer_maj...  what is your hairdresser on...?    There is nothing sexier than a MILF over 35...!   Women just get better and better with age...  I would much rather date a 45 yr old than a 25 yr old...  (errm...  subject to written consent from Mrs DV..!!)

09/10/2012 at 16:37

He's a 32 year old man...who has recently split up with a girl 10 years younger than him.  I suspect he had images of Mrs Robinson in his head and didn't get what his fantasy had delivered....

He thinks I'm as old as Methuselah

09/10/2012 at 16:52

The pertinent bit of information missing in your last expression of opinion DV, is your own age - all these things are relative you know

From your love of running you must be between 32 and 35 years of age.

09/10/2012 at 17:03

So now you have a dodgy knee as well TD- What are going to be like at 50?

Yer maj- sorry I missed your querstion. In my long runs I'm just taking a drink. When I get up to really big miles (e.g 20+) next Feb I may take a gel or a shot blocks on my long run. I've tried them all, no particular preference.  

09/10/2012 at 17:04

Mr Maj no 1 was 5 years younger than me.  The current Mr Maj is 8 years older.  I was 27 when I met no 1 and 33 when I met no 2, having never had a relationship with a man older than me.  I know which one I prefer

09/10/2012 at 17:19

Hmmm I might give shotblocks a go when training for Paris - I like the High 5 gels and so does my stomach but no matter what I do, I seem to get sticky which annoys me!

09/10/2012 at 17:27

@Yer_maj -  I'd give jelly cubes (rowntrees) a go...they're the same as cliff shot bloks and cheaper.

09/10/2012 at 17:28

I've always had a thing for older men!! Girlz dad is 13 years older than me, and future Mr Kaz 9 years older.

YM - I was just about to offer to send you shot bloks(about 10 packs) but on a quick check they are past there date! oops!

I prefer jelly beans. Much easier on my delicate stomach!

09/10/2012 at 17:42

Just caught up with everyone's posts and advice re: Paris - thanks guys x

Will seriously look at Paris then - what is this medical certificate they ask for?

09/10/2012 at 17:51

Karen - everybody has to have one, it's just a one page form signed by your GP to say you're fit to run.  It does have to be signed and stamped by the surgery though or it'll be rejected.

Some GPs will charge to do it - some won't if you are running for charity.  I took a different approach - booked an appointment so my GP could actually meet me before he signed it, in the meantime suffered a nasty dose of norovirus and went to the appointment when still feeling pretty ill.  GP was so appalled that he signed with lightening speed and kicked me out without charging me before I infected half of Cardiff

09/10/2012 at 18:14

Ha ha - nice one yer_maj!

So where would everyone recommend for cheap accom in Paris for next year's marathon then? And what is the weather usually like for the Paris marathon?

09/10/2012 at 18:53

you guys  ... give me anyone who can make me laugh till I cry and I am smitten, they can be any age they want (although over 16 would be nice), I work with some young folk that are old before their time and some old folk that are still young.  I have been round a bit, but still blush when I get embarrassed, still get crushes on people, still put my shoes on without undoing the laces and squeeze the toothpaste in the middle of the tube, oh and wear my new running shoes out of the shop 

Don't you think running keeps us young?  All that marketing guff about facecreams, when a good work out that keeps the blood pumping, the skin pink and gets us drinking loads of water can't be bad. Rant over  that is all

09/10/2012 at 20:51
Thanks for the welcome. I'll look forward to getting to know you all. I live in Aberdeen (think it was Kaz that asked).

For me, this will be marathon no. 6. I've done Amsterdam, Lochaber, 2 x Edinburgh and Moray to date. My favourite was Lochaber as I got a PB 3:59:04 in 2010. I also loved Moray though as it's home & my folks popped up along the way.

No idea what I'll be capable of this time. The next month or two will be crucial. I've had a niggling ankle injury since June which is now recovering after physio. I need to slowly build up my mileage, as aside from Parkrun occasionally I've not raced for months. We'll see what happens. Looking forward to the challenge.
09/10/2012 at 21:18
Dannirr - Thank you very much for the offer, but sadly I'll be back home before the marine marathon takes place.

TD - I plan to spend all tomorrow exploring Brooklyn. I have that museum on my to do list.

Kaz - Take care you. No more crashes, bumps or falls at least until the post race party in Amsterdam.

To all the enquired my groin seems to be ok. No pain when walking. No groin pictures will be forth coming. I'm pretty sure there's a section in the Geneva Convention about no pictures of eggys private parts.

Well I'm off for some food and to go see a show since I'm being all cultured in awe tha'.
09/10/2012 at 21:24
Hi Clag, I'm from Elgin so we are neighbours! I have done 2 marathons - Berlin in 2011 and Lochaber in 2012. Off to Amsterdam in 12 days for my 3rd. Couldn't get a bigger contrast than Berlin and Lochaber, but I loved them both. PB was Lochaber in 3:42. Have done the Moray half twice - must do the full one before I get too old. But I Should really do Paris in 2013. It would be rude not to now that I have enjoyed the hospitality dished out by all these fine folk for the last 6 months!
09/10/2012 at 21:51
yer_maj wrote (see)
Well now....drum roll....I just did 5k and nothing fell off.  Nothing hurt then, nothing hurts now but by 'eck I feel like I've lost some fitness having not run for 2 weeks

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

YAY, the list fairy is back!!! and there's lots of newbies, FUN!

Dannir - thanks for the update on "mid LSR baby" (for the newbies to the forum it's a VERY premature baby that Dannir delivered halfway through a 20 miler.  Ran in 10 miles, delivered baby, ran home.  Yup, it get's different in here).

DLR - hee hee hee, lovin' the new version of a stair master!

so much happening on the thread today!  I had a chat with mates over the weekend and it's looking like london in 2014 (friend is turning 50)...so that leaves me open for a spring marathon...which one should I do? I'm working on a flag for the support crew.  So far I've got thoughts about adding: the route, abstracted bristol chart, cake, knitting needles in blue and white cross formation, eiffel tower & arc de tiumph (but that might be a bit obvious), levitating runner...anything else?

09/10/2012 at 22:00

I dare you to knit a stool chart....

You forgot a Dragon

09/10/2012 at 22:00

oh yeah and Karen, if you let us know where you're based I'm sure there is probably someone on the thread who is close by and can take you out for a toodle (nice easy run) and/or chat to answer any questions you have.  I'm in London but can't get out until after amsterdam.

09/10/2012 at 22:01
Another Lochaber veteran here. Probably my worst marathon experience to date, but entirely my fault as I was woefully under-trained. Otherwise it would have been great (apart from the driving sleet...but they did have hot showers at the end).

TD - look after that knee. I'm assuming you and PF will be doing a Moulin-Rouge style chorus line routine at some point on the course for us, so you'll need to be fit for the high-kicking.

Karen - nowhere in Paris is particularly cheap, but the further out you go on the rail/Metro lines, the cheaper it gets. But you might want to save up for a hotel near the start/finish as the extra cash can be worth it just to be within staggering distance.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.