Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

5,201 to 5,220 of 19,627 messages
07/11/2012 at 23:15

ATM - I'm sure she was enjoying it...

TD - I'm sorry.  Hard times for you and your family.

RS...I'm still jealous.  Have a fantastic time

07/11/2012 at 23:41

ATM, TD - thinking about you both.

RS - enjoy your chill out week.

Still looking for my mojo. Sure it's still out there somewhere.

08/11/2012 at 06:09

TD - Bad news fella.  Fingers crossed he can be back in remission soon.

Sal - Another one jealous of that Lanzarote agenda you've got.  Excellent news about the cold.   Thought you'd passed it on to me last night but seems not to have materialised.  Probably just a temporary symptom of my change in diet.

Iain - have you checked down the back of the sofa?

Eggy - how's recovery going?

08/11/2012 at 06:34

RS - Another jealous  one. Enjoy!

I wish my daughters didn't feel the need to share every virus they catch. I now have  a sore throat and cough......but at least it explains why I am not feeling much better! There is hope yet

08/11/2012 at 07:44

@ATM - I'm sure she was with you all in her spirit.

@TD- I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I hope that they've caught it early enough?

@RS - Can I say "jealous" much? Have a great time and wish Si all the best for his half ironman. It's good to hear that your cold's better - just in time for holiday!

@Iain - I think i've got yours.... for some reason I've been able to go out the past two days in the wind and rain to do my runs...

08/11/2012 at 08:11
Emmy - mojo thief!

TD - best wishes to you and your dad.

Is it my imagination or is there a particularly nasty cold virus out there at the moment? So many people have it, and it's a really unpleasant one, not just a mild bout of the sniffles. It's not flu though, because it is still possible to function, after a fashion. I guess it's good to get the immune system boosted early though.
08/11/2012 at 08:26

DLR - Not feeling confident at all about the injury right now. I can still feel something isn't right even when I'm just walking. I haven't ran on it for a while, but I'm back at the physio on Saturday morning for them to see how I'm getting on.

It's been five weeks since Chicago and in that time I've managed one very short run that left me in real pain for a few days. My base fitness must be crashing something awful.

Iain - You can borrow my mojo if you want. I have plenty of mojo, but I'm broken so can't use it.

08/11/2012 at 08:26

Can I keep Iain's mojo?... it works better than mine....

@RR - completely agree about the nasty cold virus. A few friends have been knocked for six with it.

08/11/2012 at 08:32

RR - Definately a nasty cold virus on the rounds..........I think everyone around here has or has had it. Youngest had it before Amsterdam and my eldest seems to have had it for weeks..........

08/11/2012 at 08:33

And I am going looking for my mojo today..............I may not return for some time!!

08/11/2012 at 09:00

I've had on and off colds since the bin lids went back to school. Now taking cod liver oil tablets and vitamin c tablets. Not had a cold in a week.

Wish I was off to a training camp in Lanzorote.

08/11/2012 at 09:13

JamesB - bin lids are bad for colds but worse is an open plan office. I do find that I give dirty looks to people who sneeze or cough in the office. In the final weeks before Paris I was ready to kill anyone who even sniffed in my direction

I'll probably be the same next March

08/11/2012 at 09:17
Orbutt wrote (see)

JamesB - bin lids are bad for colds but worse is an open plan office. I do find that I give dirty looks to people who sneeze or cough in the office. In the final weeks before Paris I was ready to kill anyone who even sniffed in my direction

Sounds like perfectly normal taper behaviour to me!

08/11/2012 at 09:25

People think they are doing their employers a favour by turning up to work when ill. It annoys me. It is in fact placing all staff at risk of illness. It should be made a criminal offence.

08/11/2012 at 09:30
Eggyh73 wrote (see)
Orbutt wrote (see)

Eggyh73 wrote (see)
Orbutt wrote (see)

I've already told people in my office - if you're sick: STAY AT HOME or I will

08/11/2012 at 11:35

We get pure phuck if we stay from work ill..........even doctors lines get frowned upon.

Good news is that my mojo was on the road I did my last LSR on before Amsterdam!! I have just done a 18k nice and easy, focusing on lifting my feet and not slouching!!! Never looked at my watch until the end but to my amazement average pace was 8.52mm.............maybe there is some hope left afterall!!! REST now for a couple of days. I think lifting my feet has annoyed my back and old injury a bit nippy.

08/11/2012 at 11:47
James B 73 wrote (see)

People think they are doing their employers a favour by turning up to work when ill. It annoys me. It is in fact placing all staff at risk of illness. It should be made a criminal offence.

Having worked in places that didn't pay sick pay in the past it's amazing to see how quickly the entire place gets ill when someone has come in when they are in a really bad state.

Must be a Scottish thing, but like Kaz pretty much every place I've worked has given staff grief over any sick leave.

08/11/2012 at 11:59

I make it plainly clear that I am unhappy with people coming in when ill. if people are genuinely ill then fine, if they are swinging the lead then wouldn't be happy.

The tell tale signs -

(1) Monday morning (especially when you know they have been on the batter all weekend)

(2) One day off ill  (one of those 24 hour bugs that amazingly disappears the next day)

(3) Fridays

(4) Day after the night before

It is also amazing that when those on fixed term contracts hardly have a day off sick, but when they are placed on a perm contract that their sick days increase at such a rate of knots that their bodies should be donated to science.

As we are all elite athletes I DEMAND some consideration from non-runners.

TheEngineer    pirate
08/11/2012 at 12:04

What about if you're sick at the weekend? Can you have Monday aand Tuesday off as weekend-in-lieu?! 

TD that's terrible news. Wish your dad all the best and hope that you've caught it early. Science and medicine are capable of great things today.

Radar Sal do you need anyone to wash bikes?  

08/11/2012 at 12:12
TheEngineer wrote (see)

What about if you're sick at the weekend? Can you have Monday aand Tuesday off as weekend-in-lieu?! 

Worst case, ill when you've booked time off work for holiday. I had booked a week off over Christmas and New Year in 2008. I came down with the flu on Christmas Eve, not man flu, but proper just kill me now type flu. Spent the entire week feeling the worst I ever have and of course started to feel better the day before I was returning to work. That pretty much just signed off what had been a pretty crappy year.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.