Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

5,521 to 5,540 of 19,622 messages
13/11/2012 at 15:44

Gives a new texture to the UB40 song Eggy, "I am the one in 10"
I knew you'd get it though. I bet you have an IPV4 subnet mask calculator app on your phone too!

ATM
13/11/2012 at 17:39

Agreed. The binary one is geek-tastic.   ..even for those of us on the outer limits of geekdom. * Yes, yes..I AM a woman..but I score horribly high here  ,even tho' born in the heyday of the abacus...

;Did my first 10 miles wearing a backpack...in horrible rain. Feeling really smug. Ultra smug..

ATM
13/11/2012 at 17:52

UB101000 surely?

13/11/2012 at 18:08
Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)

UB101000 surely?

I had a little giggle at that!

@ATM - You make me jealous. Work has been awful this week and i've not managed to get out yet. The plan is tomorrow morning - nice and early!

13/11/2012 at 18:18

They weren't as good as Haircut 1100100 Emmy...

ATM - loved that story about your friend cycling the marathon course.

13/11/2012 at 18:46

And I would walk 11111010 miles and I would walk 11111010 more he proclaimed. Not fit to run, that's why. Just back from power plate and am a tad shattered. Thread is just the antidote needed. Tnx for the smiles

13/11/2012 at 18:54

Straycelt. I never got back to you about the RHR, sorry. There's loads of people here who'll have a better idea than me, but I'd say there's still a big gap between your current post-flu RHR and normal RHR to be getting back into things fully.

13/11/2012 at 19:06

True Weedy and that's why nothing like normal training. Feels like a month of slow get back at least. Bitter experience tells me that hurrying back just sets me back further so finally learning patience in the second half of my first century

TheEngineer    pirate
13/11/2012 at 19:24

1100011 red balloons? 

13/11/2012 at 19:51

Did my first set of pyramids tonight. Catalogue of errors, starting with pressing the wrong button on my watch - D'oh.

A lot harder than I remember but that would be because the last time I did them was after several weeks of Pyramids.

At least I now have my baseline

I need to plot a new route too - something without so many inclines, after all the downhill sections would bias my results

Too much binary. Anyone fancy Hex?

Edited: 13/11/2012 at 19:53
13/11/2012 at 19:59

Indeed. Binary madness has set in. A bit like Ash Tree disease. The infected spores are wafting over the thread creating binary fungus wherever they land.

A couple of months back, regulars will remember how I mentioned a possible challenge next summer. Joining a team of runners, running 1,100kms along a route used by People Traffickers in Europe, to raise money for the org and awareness for the problems related to modern day slavery. At least 6 people said they were interested in the idea of participating as runners

I'm in touch with the organisers (and might even take a bit more responsibility in that area), but i just wanted to let you know the idea hasn't gone away. The plan at the moment is to do the event somewhere between mid-July and early August. Perfect prep for an Autumn mara! There is some discussion amongst the planners about having a more relaxing experience, whilst others are preferring a more intense affair. I think I favour a week of (relative) suffering and comradeship, blasting out the miles could make a lifetime experience.

Anyway, here's a provocative little video this org made - best with the sound up but don't play at work if people are sensitive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-a8dAHDQoo&feature=related

13/11/2012 at 20:25

Why did I have to get this injury in the winter? First session back on the road and I'm bloody freezing. A ten minute walk warm up followed by two minutes slow jog/walk for twenty minutes. I didn't get warm, nevermind break a sweat.

TD - Good to hear plans are still in motion.

13/11/2012 at 20:31

Eggyh73 the journey of 1000 miles, or eight, starts with a single step and all that b^&&^x At least you are back out and big up for doing so!

13/11/2012 at 20:53

Evening all!

you've all gone mad..........

Eggy - Well done for getting back out there..........and your right its bloody freezing!!

TD- Good to hear the event is still on, although rather disappointed with the timing

ATM - How is running with a back pack?? I have yet to try mine.

Straycelt - Hope your feeling better soon. Take it easy.

TheEngineer    pirate
13/11/2012 at 20:55
ATM... I score 20% geeky...
13/11/2012 at 21:10

another 8'n'art tonite. Pretty good session tonite ran up a bunch of hills and jogged in between. GPS had me running accross many peoples' back gardens in a posh street (thats why the dogs were barking so much)

13/11/2012 at 21:13

TJB - that's why I stopped using my phone for GPS, just too damned inaccurate,

ATM
13/11/2012 at 21:21

Kaz, at first it rubbed my neck...but then I learned how the straps work.. It was fine...very comfortable and light. I was carrying a bottle...but I'm glad I bought a backpack that's ' hydration-system compatible'...the water-bag thingy...because stopping to get the bottle out is a pain. I choose one with a built in rain cover...smart move...when I read a review by another Scot..and the cover covers the bottle..So, I'll buy a ' system' and put it the pocket. I understand, now, why backpack-wearers all seem to have them.*And I felt' serious' * . I'm looking forward to longer' sightseeing' runs. I like the idea of getting around the place on foot...forgetting time completely for a while and just doing the miles.

@ The Engineer...You can get extra marks for reading hard-backed-books-with-no-pictures...

straycelt, which corner did you stray from? This query is sent to you from the wettest part of the wet West coast...

For anyone using the RW log, they're withdrawing support....just like the UK site did...and, so far, I can't get the new system to import all my data. All stuff might get lost. Again.

ATM
13/11/2012 at 21:37

ATM - I bought a rucksack which hydration pack compatible too!! Its got little pockets on the waist straps for sweeties etc too But it will probably be a wee while before I get to use it Like yourself I am looking forward to just running with no worries about times etc

13/11/2012 at 21:39
Orb, I'm sticking with my timex sports watch and gb.mapometer.com. draw out your routes, save them, have them in miles or kms. Use the watch to time the run and the intervals, can't be bothered to use the lap function so getting my mile splits off crappy phone gps when it works. Mrs C, pweeze get me a garmin for me 40th next week ......
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.