Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

5,661 to 5,680 of 19,622 messages
16/11/2012 at 11:16

Race no. is 4321 (how cool is that!) and I'm in the red zone!

16/11/2012 at 15:28

weekend.......

16/11/2012 at 15:42

means Missis has a "lie in" on tomorrow - i'm up at silly oclock avec le Sprogs. Sunday is my lie in which i forsake so that i can do a 17 mile training run in the cold before the roads get too busy! It takes some commitment this marathon training malarkey. For half marathons i just wing it on 3 x 10k per week all year round as part of my normal regular excercise and bosh out a couple of 10milers in the weeks leading up to the race. At least after a run like that i can put away a seriously big dinner without worrying too much about the calories

16/11/2012 at 16:00

Jimbob - To be fair you don't need to be battering out 17 mile runs just yet for Paris.

My weekend "run" is another short walk/jog effort, but in truth I'm not feeling good about the injury at all and starting to wonder if April is actually going to be a realistic target. If I can't get back to running without injury by this time next month I'll need to downgrade my objective. If I'm not injury free running by January I may have to face facts and pull out altogether.

16/11/2012 at 16:29
TJB - I agree with Eggy, sounds like you're a good few weeks ahead of me in your preparation - and I'm ahead of schedule. This weekend I'll be doing 13 miles followed by a cut back week
Edited: 16/11/2012 at 16:30
16/11/2012 at 16:41

I think what you do in build up depends on where you are to start with. When fit I normally do a 10-14 mile LSR at the weekend anyway. Probably more out of habit than anything else. I'm sure the likes of DV must sqeeze out 17 miles regularly.

The one thing to be careful about apart from injury is mental tiredness. There's 16-18 weeks of marathon training still to be done, including all those LSRs. You don't want to get part way through that training schedule and be bored of going long and starting to dread them.

16/11/2012 at 16:45

Hi dhale.

Eggy - sounds grim. Fingers crossed you get sorted.

Jimbob - my plan's for LSRs of 13 miles until Dec 8, then adding a mile a week from then, although I've got a marathon on Mar 2, so I'm starting to increase the mileage a month earlier than I normally would.

If you do a google search for binary lions eating knitted jelly bean pie charts, the thread's nowhere to be seen - it's outrageous.

16/11/2012 at 16:55

Although do a google image search for binary lions eating knitted jelly bean pie charts and you get this...

I know what I'm making for dinner...

16/11/2012 at 16:56

http://www.caterersearch.com/blogs/rhubarb-and-mustard/assets_c/2009/08/lion-big-thumb-250x250-44266.jpg

16/11/2012 at 17:12

to be fair i've some shorter LSRs planned in my very long training schedule but i am just getting a few longys in before xmas - i cant run 5 or 6 times a week training like some people. I have to do whats right for me.  My training for the marathon started about 6 weeks ago. Im not complainng about the length of run, just giving up the lie in! the 17 suits me just fine for the LSR just now. The distance felt good.

Eggy thats pretty grim if you have to pull out (Don't! ).   Maybe take more time off and then changing the objective is a good move - don't put yourself under so much pressure. Consider just getting round Paris and really healed up so you can have a decent crack at the next one later in the year - berlin? 

16/11/2012 at 17:15

Orb. I'm also planning a cut back (or maybe a total) rest week as well before the year is out.

16/11/2012 at 17:25

Weedy - Great lion!

Jimbob - I just hate the niggly injury. I'd probably handle it better if I had a proper injury like a broken leg or something like that. Right now I just want to take a rambo knife to the injured area, open me up and cut out the injured part and pop down to Maplin and see if they have a replacement part!

16/11/2012 at 17:46

yeah - its grim mate - had that a few years back with the achilles - took 10 weeks off running after VLM. followed the instructions of the physio and touch wood its held up since.

16/11/2012 at 17:47

nowadays i'm so anal about the hamstring stretches. I can stil hear the sports physio lecturing me about what i wasnt doing right

16/11/2012 at 18:26

hiya everyone!

i did paris marathon this year (my first) and loved it, although the second half of my training went downhill as I got started a new placement with long days and an hour commute each way; so while I was disappointed with my time of 5:03, I deserved it. Doing it again next year and really hoping to smash that, haven't done much long running since though, as I've been working on shorter, faster runs, so we'll see how that goes. Looking to join you folk and hearing about all of your training as well (it's always nice to know you're not alone when you're out running in the cold, early on a sunday morning!)

Anyone got any recommendations for training plans?  

16/11/2012 at 18:45

Hi Megs

Don't be disappointed with your time - that's awesome going after having disrupted training. I take it you've got more time to train for the 2013 one.

Can't help with the training plan recommendation as I just sort of wing it with a self-made weekly plan of one tempo run, two interval sessions and one long run, plus bits and bobs in the gym and swimming pool, but hang fire and there'll be people along in a minute or two with some advice...

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 18:46
16/11/2012 at 18:50

welcome Megs

16/11/2012 at 19:33

Another newbie good to see lol. I'm also one for throwing together a week's training off the cuff rather than having it all planned out weeks ahead.

Been reading a few reports of past years' races, have to say it sounds brill.

ATM
16/11/2012 at 20:04

Hi, megs..Relax. You'll have such a great time, second time around..

dhale.message me through the forum and I'll bury you in detail about the course. * Err...Nuthin' about running; just the portaloos/ tunnels/pub stuff...etc...*

ATM
16/11/2012 at 20:10

Megs - welcome

Jimbob - when speaking of Eggy's groin, careful the expression "pull out"

Eggy - hope it gets better soon - plenty time till Paris for it to heal. Dont give up on it yet!

Tried the new, winter version of Vibram's today in anticipation of colder, wetter weather to come. Did 10 miles in them and will do 18 in them tomorrow. Like them a lot and will be better if mildly icy, or on the orange peels of Paris. More aggresive sole yet still good ground feel

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/698298/gallery/photo_1-27.jpg?width=350

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/698298/gallery/photo_2-27.jpg?width=350

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.