Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

5,901 to 5,920 of 19,622 messages
19/11/2012 at 16:35

TD - you're accepted too but have your info protected...

Man, this will have to act as my kick up the rear to get back to training, methinks!

Dannirr - this was all your idea! What's your moniker?!

19/11/2012 at 16:40

James - Very well done on the PB.

TD - I'm willing to claim moment of brilliance even if it's a complete and utter lie!

19/11/2012 at 16:41

Can't fib about training any more...

Emmy - good to hear you're better. How far away is it and what do you want to get out of doing it - ie are you planning to get a PB, just doing it for the experience etc etc?

19/11/2012 at 17:48
Same as here - dannirr
ATM
19/11/2012 at 18:10

James B 73..

ATM
19/11/2012 at 18:26
Liking the new garmin connect feature... StrayRunner is my name on there.

Nice improvement James b.....very nice
19/11/2012 at 19:01
My garmin arrived today, I am so excited! When I'm set up, I'll let you know my garmin connect name, although you'll out me all to shame with your running!

Yer maj, thank you so much for the kind childcare during marathon offer. If I do take the kids, my ex will come too, there's no way I'll cope with a six and an 8 year old in the build up to the marathon! I'd like to take them, I'd like them to be a part of it. On the other hand, I could stay on for a couple of days, have coffee in street cares, go to museums and shopping....

Started my training today. An hours plyometrics DVD this am to strengthen my legs and build power, and a 4 mile easy run this pm. Resistance training tomorrow and fri, intervals on wed, tempo on thurs and long run on Sat. Rest on Sun.
19/11/2012 at 19:12
I'm finding all these starting running stories so inspirational. Mine's not so inspirational! I needed to get fit, I like a challenge, I'm cr*p at team sports, and it's easy to fit in. It's very personally rewarding too. I love the intensity, nothing has ever matched that for me. I can get my hr higher running than doing anything else (although there are certain places I haven't worn my HRM to check!)

Weedy, am I allowed to join the races list or am I too new?
If so, I'm doing the a 10k in christchurch, dorset on 9 Dec, knacker cracker 10k on 1 Jan, the Bramley 20 on 17th Feb and possibly the Worthing 20 in March.

I'd like to get some half marathons in, but haven't decided on them!
19/11/2012 at 19:34

Woah! HoleyMoley - please don't rush out and do an hour of Plyometrics straight out. I've no idea about the DVD or how it introduces you to this training mode but please be very careful. It's a very aggressive form of exercise - building explosive power - but it's a long way down on the priority list of training needs for a marathon runner. You should introduce Plyometric training very carefully. Easy to get injured. If it doesn't tell you that in the first 3 minutes of the DVD, be very cautious!!

Iain - will go and fiddle with my private things - on Garmin Connect that is.

19/11/2012 at 19:37
Awww, thanks trickydicky for your concern, but it's a p90x DVD that I've been doing once a week for a few months. It's one of my favourites as my mileage increases I'll cut it out to give my legs more of a rest, but at the moment, the only change I've made to my usual routine is to add one more gentle run.
19/11/2012 at 19:43

Holeymoley - course I'll add you to the list - you don't even have to ask  Same goes for everyone else out there. I'll leave the Worthing one off until it's a definite. Know what you mean about team sports - I'm exactly the same.

ATM
19/11/2012 at 19:57

Now that I'm happy with the  Google v abacus ....and have a couple of weeks to get -ready/fit....  This is a shout-out to anyone lurking +doing/thinking-about-doing Paris... Why not say hello and add your  number to the list? It's such a good idea....You may need to know where these are...

http://www.etravelblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/public-toilets-Paris.jpg

ATM
19/11/2012 at 20:04

ATM - Your obsessed!!!

5.8 miles D&D tonight!!  1.6 on my own and the rest with a friend. A nice comfotable hard run in the dark with some long hills.......but in the dark hills seem easy!!!

Day off tomorrow........yipee........hoping to fit in a nice slow run but I will see how I feel, and I will plan my route so I can detour to parents, again, if I start to feel bad??

19/11/2012 at 20:18
Haven't left the house all day

But did do long walks in The Lakes Friday & Saturday. And yesterday ran round Derwentwater (10 miles) before breakfast, so deserved a day off
19/11/2012 at 20:34

Okay...Lanzarote etc adventures:

Friday: 5km run (had to head home early because of cold), 500m swim and 20km bike (didn't go further as needed to keep a muzzle on half ironman (70.3 is the offical name) friends all tapered up).

Saturday: well...I was going to cycle up and see friends at the 20km point they went through twice on the bike...but it was really windy and friend's boyfriend had other ideas.  He needed a run for costal ultra training (ex-paratrooper with 10 hr 45 min ironman time whols just done the OMM ultra), so I joined him for a 28km round trip across the dirt/sand roads that were a shortcut to the town up the first hill.  Yup, hilly, yup, on sand and yup, I was the definite weak link.  i walked lots am blaming the reminants of my cold though and think I've done something to my leg...hmmm...was fun though in a kinda mental way.  Both friends crossed the line  for the 70.3 and were VERY happy to see us on the course!  Got to cheer on heaps of others too.  Great experience!

Sunday: 55km cycle with a group from the resort.  Was the weak link again as I'm sooo not speedy on the bike and with the wind we had to keep together in a tight group which I hate doing so dropped off the back.  Did have a nice wee cycle home with the danish guide though.  Then an easy 600m swim that evening to help the post-70.3 people ease up.

Monday: too windy so went sight-seeing all over the island.  Really interesting place for volcanic activity!

Tuesday: decided I should try out the lagoon so popped out for a lap of the course.  Was congratulated by all the wimps in wetsuits but it wasn't that cold.  Then pilates in the sun and another jaunt on the bikes.  Only 35ish kms though as people's post-70.3 legs weren't up to much more.

Wednesday: I was determined to get out on the hills on gabbana so we did most of the 70.3 cycle.  Yeah, it's tough being my mates after I haven't done the big event 1200ms of climbing with a 10km hill.  FUN!  Then that night there were a few drinks.  Apparently we got back about 4amish.

Thursday: back to london, quick unpack and packing again for Rome. Yeah, I lead a tough life.

Friday-sunday: bit of a blur really...there was some rugby in there I think and lots of 6.6% italian beer and wine and vaguely remember some cocktails.

All in all lanzarote was brilliant!  Would throughly recommend it for an active holiday.

That enough of a holiday report for you DV?

ATM
19/11/2012 at 20:47

Ah,Dave,,,You sound like just the man ( ? We're easy on this point...) to be ' parrain' ( Google..See? ) to the Thread  'Paris  2013 ' Tri-Team.

No need to leave house. We're  'Caledonia Spartans'...We'll do all the 'stuff'..( practical) You just have to provide endless 'support'.  ( mostly,'Of course,  you can swim/bike/run that far....'

What can go wrong...?

ATM
19/11/2012 at 20:56

RS: you're a killer.  Paris is going to seem like the proverbial walk in the park for you.

I did a nice 5 mile recovery run today between hospital work and a meeting tonight. Somehow my brain thought that qualified me for 2 pastries.

19/11/2012 at 21:29
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

TD - thanks for elaborating!

Dannirr - it did, that's what recovery runs are for...

RS - I like 'holidays' where you can chill... You seem to take a different approach.

19/11/2012 at 21:35
Iain Moore 2 wrote (see)
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

TD - thanks for elaborating!

Dannirr - it did, that's what recovery runs are for...

RS - I like 'holidays' where you can chill... You seem to take a different approach.

Oh there was lots of chilling too.  they have a great wellness centre!

TD's been gone a long time...maybe fiddling isn't as easy as he thought.

Dannirr wrote (see)

RS: you're a killer.  Paris is going to seem like the proverbial walk in the park for you.

a killer or a wee bit silly.  Leg is in pretty bad shape and haven't been able to run since the 28km jaunt.  Saw a sport masseuse but he said muscles were fine Running school on saturday is going to be interesting.

19/11/2012 at 21:37
TD - sounds like the news, although not all good, isn't all bad either. Fingers crossed it's not getting any worse.

Haven't really started my training yet - hoping some of the Amsterdam fitness is still hanging around. I'm going up to the frozen north at the weekend so hoping to fit in a parkrun - that should be a good test of my fitness levels. Spoke to my mother on the phone - apparently there's been torrential rain all day and so many people have been hospitalised with the vomiting virus in Edinburgh they've had to reopen one of the old hospitals. Really looking forward to the weekend .

ATM - I've been meaning to ask - what was the race that Fizz did?

James B - do they still have wild goats on the Great Orme? Did they join in?
Edited: 19/11/2012 at 21:39
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.