Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

6,761 to 6,780 of 19,623 messages
07/12/2012 at 11:09

I am starting think about my trip to Paris. Last year, I travelled on the Friday and I arrived at the Parc des Expositions to collect my number after 7pm. It was great as I didn't have to queue.

This year, I am considering to get there on Saturday. I believe it is quite busy in the morning but I don't know about the afternoon.

Is it busy in the afternoon to collect your number?

07/12/2012 at 11:17

Denis, i've heard its busy - i'll be picking up my racepack about 1pm on the satuday so expecting to queue.

ATM
07/12/2012 at 11:17

'morning, all. My planned12k was abandoned at 6.It's just too slippy.I see lots of treadmill ahead...

Malcs, from what I've heard, Paris is not the place to try for a negative split. When will you hear whether or not you've been chosen?

ATM
TheEngineer    pirate
07/12/2012 at 11:32

Eurostar tickets now on sale for getting to Paris, return leg tickets released tomorrow and Sunday.

TheEngineer    pirate
07/12/2012 at 11:36

In other news, intravenous tea seems to be working. I'm thinking about the challenge of one year without alcohol... I find it quite appealing. This isn't a "I'm never drinking again" whinge - I just think it would make an interesting experiment. 

07/12/2012 at 11:41

T.E - ive booked the 7.30am.  gets me in just before 11am Paris time.

btw - you'll be back on the brewskis by the weekend - the season of exceesive drinking and eating has only just started! (ive got two work dos next wed and fri - the scotches and sambukas will come out)

07/12/2012 at 11:46

I could easily do a year without alcohol. I'd struggle to last more than a couple of days without coffee though!

07/12/2012 at 12:04

Denis. I arrived at the Expo at around midday on the Saturday last year and queued for about 90 minutes before getting in. When I came out the queue was still about the same lenghth.

Maybe if you went later in the afternoon, 5 or 6, then the queue will be much less. 

07/12/2012 at 12:08
We're definitely driving this time, so anybody who needs me to take anything over for them (not you, DLR) let me know. We'll be arriving in Paris on Friday lunchtime, going straight to the expo.
07/12/2012 at 12:12

Dennis - I arrived at the expo at about 2pm on the Saturday this year. Took an hour plus to get from the end of the queue into the expo.

Engineer - i've got four months or so to go till I hit the year (last one incidentally was in Corcorans in Paris. That's the effect having a drink with DLR has on you ). I'd thoroughly recommend it (both having a drink with DLR and then abstaining for a year I mean).

07/12/2012 at 12:34
Eggy - me too. Alcohol no biggie. Caffeine, however, whole other story.

Denis - I fear I can corroborate that arriving at 5ish Saturday doesn't help at Paris expo. The queue was disheartening and took 90 minutes. My plane/train was delayed, it was a whole load of stress you don't need and nearly put me off re-applying. Try to get there earlier, if possible.
Edited: 07/12/2012 at 12:35
07/12/2012 at 14:15
Thanks for the heads-up TE - I'm booked on the Saturday train arriving at 12:26. I'll go straight to the expo and sit on my luggage in the queue. Which may be longer this year if they're insisting on checking the med certs.
07/12/2012 at 14:20

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will scrap the plan to travel on the Saturday. I am not very patient.

07/12/2012 at 14:23

Help - I'm on too many threads and I can't keep up  I feel like a fresher that signed up for all the clubs on their first day without thinking!

I'm getting the impression that most people have a favourite thread where they hang out, is that true or do you sew your seeds liberally across the forums? (not sure that reads how I meant it to). 

Really appreciate the good luck wishes. The advice seems to be crystallising - an MLR is a must or at least two medium. I think I can manage that. I'm pretty much busy with work and kids all the time but I do have flexibility so I can choose to work late at night if I want. An MLR at midday in the winter is going to be far easier to do than at the other ends of the day!

Thanks again.

Edited: 07/12/2012 at 14:23
07/12/2012 at 14:39

Malcs - I think of this place as home but I like to visit other forums occasionally - sometimes just to tell people to come here

TheEngineer    pirate
07/12/2012 at 15:19

I'm only arriving in Paris at 3pm... but the expo is open until 8 so shouldn't be too bad, right?  

07/12/2012 at 15:30

Malcs, this is the place - we've got thread Mum (ATM) Thread Dad (TrickDicky) thread crumpet (yer_Maj) List Fairies (Weedy and Nevergiveupgirl) Thread overseas smooth talkin barsteward (Dannirr) - bloody 'undreds of us here all sheltering under the safety net of the Paris 2013 Thread!!  

07/12/2012 at 15:34

oh yeah - and thread prat - me

07/12/2012 at 15:43
Thread crumpet???

+1 for expo on Friday. In and out in no time. Many have told me this is Normal...
07/12/2012 at 15:53

I met up with DLR and KO's at the expo last year on the Friday morning and the place was fairly quiet. I fly over on the Friday this time, but plan to dump my bag at the hotel and then head over to the expo that afternoon. Saturday is all about the breakfast run, being lazy and forum carb loading meals.

Don't think I want to know what my forum role would be!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.