Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

6,801 to 6,820 of 19,623 messages
08/12/2012 at 07:10

Dannirr - Sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with your team and the family at this sad time.

Weedy - Did I meet you in Concorans last time? Everytime I think about alcohol the hangover I had after that puts me right off!!

I had to come home from work yesterday as I fainted, spent all day on the sofa feeling awful. BF thinks its a reaction to the anti-biotics as I was strangely ill the last time I had them too(fell down stairs etc). I have another 4 days to take(a 7 day course instead of 5??)........Was going to phone doc today but then realised its Saturday and NHS24 is just ********* useless.

Re expo - Last time I was there on the Friday morning in time for it opening and amazingly still had to Q, this time I will be going straight from airport on Friday afternoon or maybe see if I can get into apartment earlier and go later???

It is now 10 days since I have done any exercise, starting to worry about losing fitness although maybe the weight I am losing will help!!!

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 07:12
08/12/2012 at 07:31

Will be Friday tea time for me at the expo.

Hopefully you'll get used to the anti-biotics now Kaz, for the last few days.  Have you to go to work today/

08/12/2012 at 08:17

DLR - No today is my day off!! Tomorrow though I have to work 7am-6pm.......thats going to be hard!

08/12/2012 at 08:21

Take it easy today Kaz, get a good night's sleep and fingers crossed!

In the long run though - this enforced rest is going to mean you can build up to great form for Paris.

Dark Vader    pirate
08/12/2012 at 08:36

I can't recall ever queueing at the expo before...

I'll be going on the Saturday, and probably in the afternoon...

08/12/2012 at 08:38

Lets hope so Rob!!

Anyone free to come and walk my dog??? He's mad at not getting his walk last night or this morning!

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 08:38
08/12/2012 at 08:47

You could always pop his saddle on?  He gets his walk and you still rest...;)

08/12/2012 at 08:48
@Kaz - please take it easy... I'd offer to walk the dog but might be a bit far away.

I'm off to cologne for the weekend to drink my weight in gluehwein and eat as much stollen as is physically possible

Have a good weekend everyone!
08/12/2012 at 08:48
Dark The Herald Angels Sing wrote (see)

I can't recall ever queueing at the expo before...

I'll be going on the Saturday, and probably in the afternoon...

Been on saturday's a couple of times when it's been pretty busy late morning, but hopefully the afternoon would ease off a bit.

08/12/2012 at 08:50
I'd love to walk your horse Kaz, but today is my annual clash with Christmas Tree lights. Let battle commence!
08/12/2012 at 08:54

Good Luck Simon!

Dark Vader    pirate
08/12/2012 at 09:04
wiolQn the snowflake wrote (see)
DV I've just read "eat and run" by Scott Jurek where he tells about his gruelling experience with Badwater. I hope all goes well for you

Ahh..  well..  that book is on Satan's list...  he is an exceptional athlete and probably the reality is that he has a unique physiology...  I shall look forward to reading it...   my journey to Badwater is only just starting....   two years and a few thousand miles of long runs ahead of me....   its very exciting  

08/12/2012 at 09:21

Dark - Badwater, wow! That's the crazy, through Death Valley race isn't it? I remember reading about that in Dean Karnazes' book. I can't imagine how you would train for something like that.

Dannirr - as I'm new around here I'm guessing you work in the care of infants? Losing anyone is terrible but a baby, well that's just terrible.

Dark Vader    pirate
08/12/2012 at 09:44

Malcs..   yes, you are correct.  Badwater is a 135 mile race through Death Valley.  It goes from the lowest point on continental US, Badwater, to the highest, Mount Witney.  The feature of the race is the heat, not the distance or even the elevation gain.   It can get over 50 celsius.  As word got around, entry into the race has become increasingly hard and you need to be invited to run.  There are 90 places.  45 go to previous runners and 45 to first-timers.  Entry criteria is increasingly strict and I'm looking to apply for an invitation in 2015.   Therefore, my running schedule for 2013 and 2014 is totally focussed around my Badwater entry.  

I have a plan of what I need to do, but that won't guarantee me a place...

I have chosen 2015 because I will be 50 in that year and it just seemed like a bit of fun to aim at...

Of course, if I don't get a place in 2015 I shall just keep applying each year thereafter until I do...!

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 09:55
08/12/2012 at 10:04

Kaz - Take it easy. Don't worry about losing fitness. I wasn't in Corcorans for long - I just popped my head in for a swift pint, then hobbled off again. You might have seen me, but I don't cut a very memorable figure.

08/12/2012 at 10:21

Weedy - unless it was very early on, I couldn't see very much!!

08/12/2012 at 10:34
Thanks all for the good thoughts. Malcs - yes, neonatal ICU.

Scott Jureck's book is an excellent read. Particularly the dietary information.

Lovely weather here this weekend - today's will be 20 C and sunny mostly. Planning for a nice LSR after work.

Kaz - hope you feel much better soon,
ATM
08/12/2012 at 10:57

The poor parents..How sad for everyone, Dan.

Dark The Herald Angels Sing wrote (see)

Ahh..  well..  that book is on Satan's list... 

Must get busy with my letter-to-Satan...

ATM
08/12/2012 at 10:59

Dark - it really says something when 135 miles gets dismissed as 'not the biggest feature' of a race  I read that you have to walk on the white lines to prevent your shoes from melting is that true?

Very best of luck to you. I can barely cope with a mere 26 miles in London in the April warmth never mind 50 celcius over 5 times the distance. Amazing.

Dannirr - I don't know how you cope. Must be an enormous emotional strain. I guess you must see the other side too - saving a life, so precious.

08/12/2012 at 11:07

I must remember NEVER to ask my parents for help ever again. Youngest has netball league today, I asked them if they could do the chauffering as BF is working. I got a massive lecture about getting up and getting on with it even though your ill, you've just got to keep going etc and then told there is nothing wrong with me but depression?!?!? My doctor has obviously misdiagnosed me and I don't need the 500mg of penicilan 3x daily!!

Rant over.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.