Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

6,821 to 6,840 of 19,622 messages
Dark Vader    pirate
08/12/2012 at 12:14

Kaz..  that sounds like my mother...   

Malcs..  don't misunderstand me...  this is a hard race...  the distance and the terrain (see illustration below) is to be respected.  Its just that there are other ultra's that are longer or with greater climb.  What sets this race apart is the heat and having to contend with the distance and the climb when running into a hairdryer on full blast...  its not just hot air temperature...  there is a massively oppressive hot headwind to run into.  This is a hardcore location.  Its not called Death Valley just for a joke.

The melting shoes is an urban myth, as far as I know, but people do run/walk on the white line simply because it is a little less hot than the tarmac..

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/gallery/badwater-135-course-profile_1.jpg?width=350

Getting up that mountain at the end will be.. errmm...  fun!   

08/12/2012 at 12:23
Always good to get an update on DLR's bowels. If you're really good I'll tell you about my toenails later.

Kaz - families. Can't live with 'em, can't bury them six feet under the patio. Best just to ignore, although I grant you it's not easy.

9 miles done this morning in lovely sun and cold. Now to spend the afternoon turning myself into a vision of loveliness. I may be some time.
08/12/2012 at 12:35

ohhhh, bowels and toe nails.  Bring it on!

Dannirr - sorry to hear about mid-lsr baby.  Hope the parents are okay.  I'm amazed he lasted as long as he did.  big credit to you and your team!

RR - we're eurostar buddies.  Let me know what time you're coming back on monday.

well, I survived my work big christmas bash with minimal awkward situations involving head honchos and I remember the whole thing.  I think I deserve a gold star.

Kaz - okay...that's shit but VERY ignorantly funny.  You run marathons and are planning on an ultra.  I don't think you suffer from lack of motivation.

08/12/2012 at 12:39

Today's word of the day is "stretchstretchstretchrunstretchstretchstretchstretch"

08/12/2012 at 12:41
DV - one other thing to put Death Valley into perspective: until the advent of modern camping equipment (meaning air conditioned RV's), Death Valley was closed to the public during the hottest summer months as it was too dangerous.

I've made one week long photography trip to Death Valley - it's a wonderfully desolate place.
08/12/2012 at 12:45
RS - thanks. It's a bit of a two edged sword. The longer these kids survive , the more hope the family develops (in spite of our many, many discussions warning of the probable outcome) and that makes the death even harder. They can't help it, and quite frankly I'd be really concerned if they ever gave up hope. Or if we ever did.
Edited: 08/12/2012 at 12:46
08/12/2012 at 12:54

Dannirr - completely agree.

Dark Vader    pirate
08/12/2012 at 12:56

Dannirr...   if babies of that age do survive, presumably there is a high risk of brain development complications..?   Could there not, therefore, be a vaid argument for suggesting that survival is not always the best option long-term..?   That possibly sounds harsh, but you know what I mean...

If I ever end up in a coma on a life-support machine I really do not want to be kept alive just because the doctors have the ability to do that.   Just switch me off....  

08/12/2012 at 13:11

DV - I can totally agree with the point you are making although, as you say, does sound harsh. My BF's son was born premature weighing 1lb x ozs, against all odds he survived(his twin didn't) and he has quadraplegic cerebal palsy.

And I totally agree with the second point too, and have told my family of this(although my children cried).

ATM
08/12/2012 at 14:14

Realx, DV. I'll come round and pull the plug...  * Mr. ATM has strong views on the ole' Ethics 'n' Law and Medicine thing. 'No way he'd switch anyone off...Which is why I've chosen a pal as my Attorney in-case-of..* You DO have to be in extremis, right? Not just annoying/expensive?

kaz, get well and make friends with the other Mums, re getting lifts. RR is right about the patio.

ATM
08/12/2012 at 14:18

Dannir - gutted at the news. Keep up the good work, mate.

Works do last night and I managed to injure my calf dancing.

You can tell I'm a runner because as I was wobbling to the station, all I could think about was 'I hope this doesn't stop my LSR on Sunday'.

Fingers crossed.
Kaz - words fail me.  You know better than they do, though.

08/12/2012 at 14:42
Orbutt - worst injury I've ever had was a grade 3 calf tear from a salsa class.
08/12/2012 at 15:02
Dark (DV?) - you must be crazy. That sounds impossible but people obviously do it. Surely you must be in all manner of discomfort most of the way through?
08/12/2012 at 15:13

I nearly broke myself the weekend after Paris this year doing mental dancing to Primal Scream...

Work do was interesting last night.  I was driving and therefore sober.  There were about 100 of us altogether in tables of 10 (from lots of different companies)...food took so long to come out that most were aff their heids before it arrived.  I was, unusually for me, wearing a short, black, reasonably skimpy frock...it's been a wee while since I was in the situation where there were lots of drunk and lecherous men thinking they had the right to do what they liked but my left hook nearly came out a few times   Luckily none of them were from my company - they possibly wouldn't dare  It always makes me think, though.  I was sober and well able to look after myself - even unsober I'm well able to look after myself because I rarely get more than tipsy.  But alcohol doesn't half make people vulnerable.

Kaz...sounds like you need a lot more R&R yet.

08/12/2012 at 15:19

I think I may be back on the injury bench.  Went to the gym and was finishing off with some short but intense intervals on the rower.  30s into the very first interval agonising pain on the left of my lower back - couldn't stand properly, walk properly, bend...manged to get home (nearly crashing the car several times) and trying to ease with ibuprofen and hot water bottle.  Didn't feel like something tore just as if it suddenly all locked.  2.5hrs on and it's getting slightly easier but today's run definitely cancelled and tomorrow's looks very much in doubt.  Getting old is no fun.

08/12/2012 at 15:21

This bench is getting awfully full very early on

08/12/2012 at 16:12

Dannirr - Really sad to hear that news. I take my hat off to you working in that field as it must be heart breaking at times like this.

DLR - Ouch, sounds painful. Sounds like a lazy night is in order for you.

Kaz - Bloody hell, your mum is on the rampage this week!

yer_maj - Sounds like an interesting night out! It's fair to say mine was a quieter afair. Although the company CEO was well pished and was telling me I had my pick of jobs towards the end of the night. I'll need to remind him of that come my next pay review.

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 16:12
08/12/2012 at 16:45

Malcs - if you stick around you'll se that DV (Dark Vader) really is crazy.

Not content in merely running the Paris Marathon, DV is running from London to Paris. Then he is running the marathon and to finish it off, running from Paris to London.

As a training run he took part in the London to Brighton Veteran Car Rally - running of course - and raced against Dannir who was driving a beautiful old (1903) car.

His exploits are many and legendary, so if you look up crazy in the dictionary it has a special section for DV.

Yer_Maj - hopefully we can get our bench warming out of the way early on

08/12/2012 at 17:31
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

Although the company CEO was well pished and was telling me I had my pick of jobs towards the end of the night.

Are you sure he wasn't asking where don't you want to go?

08/12/2012 at 17:49
Tweaked my back playing with my 2 year old granddaughter. I'll never learn!
Hopefully be fit for tomorrow's 10 mile 'Turkey Trot'. We'll need a bigger bench soon.

On the plus side, Christmas Tree and decorations are up. I can relax now, safe in the knowledge that the lights will blow on Christmas morning, like they normally do...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.