Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

6,861 to 6,880 of 19,623 messages
09/12/2012 at 13:26
ATM - McSantas are good but MacSantas are better.

A couple of drams last night cured the back pain so I ran the 10 mile race today. Horrendous conditions- gale force wind and sleet. Loved it! New PB 71'44. Time to pig out on Christmas pies now.
09/12/2012 at 13:49

Simon - good to hear. About the back I mean, not the horrendous conditions.

09/12/2012 at 13:53

Makes me chuckle...

09/12/2012 at 14:13
Away in T' Manger.. wrote (see)

Mr. ATM seems to have won the Man versus trees battle so now for the decorations....I think I might hang up my medals.

cool idea!

Jimbob all the way wrote (see)
Anyone getting Eurostar out to Paris on the Saturday morning at 7.30am?

Nah, far too early in the morning for me.  Save RR & I a place in the queue.

RR - cool, I'm in carriage 2 coming back...I think.  I 2nd that if you're eurostaring book now!  prices are already out of the lowest bracket.  Scored mine for under £100 too

well, I've had a 2nd day doing sweet FA.  Today has been allocated planning...the plan is forming and it shall be done.

Dark Vader    pirate
09/12/2012 at 16:08

Dannirr...   I saw this, and thought of you...  

Dark Vader    pirate
09/12/2012 at 16:09

Weedy..  that is good..  it was doing the rounds last year...   its very funny..

09/12/2012 at 17:03

Well done to ATM and Simon on your festive runs.

Dark Vader    pirate
09/12/2012 at 17:19
Yes, indeed. Well done on the Santa runs. And those of you on the injury bench, please be patient and allow time to get fixed. Rushing out the door too soon isnt going to fix your body. Plenty of time ahead...
09/12/2012 at 17:25

and on that note.  Have been reading about getting back to running.  Seems that 30 mins walking is the test, to see if you're ready, then walk/run for 30 mins with 5 min splits starting at 4/1 and working your way up through 3/2, 2/3, 1/4.  Holy bristol's I'm going to get bored!  Any other increases on that plan?

09/12/2012 at 17:37

I'm going to be on the bench forever....leg loads worse today for no apparent reason....moan moan grumble grumble....

ATM....do you have any patience you can post to me?  Special Delivery before 9 am??

Dark Vader    pirate
09/12/2012 at 17:52

yer_maj..   you are in a process of re-alignment..  it will get better...  stick with it...  patience is your best friend...     If you need some assistance, go to see the osteopath...  but, don't even attempt to run to the end of the road yet...   you are doing well...  really, you are...  stick with the bike and the Egoscue exercises...

You do a lot of driving...  have a look at your car seat and assess how you sit in the seat...  does the seat need adjustment, or maybe a cushion to avoid pressure points..?  

Edited: 09/12/2012 at 17:54
09/12/2012 at 18:01

I feel the same YM!! At least you are getting some exercise!

BF just let slip that hes gotten me a new running jacket for Christmas..........Apparently he thinks that its the soaking everytime I go out running thats responsible for me being ill!!!

RS - With that plan I will be really cold............

How quickly do you lose fitness???

09/12/2012 at 18:14

DV that's funny - I've been adjusting my steering wheel today because I'm pretty sure that driving aggravates it a lot - I drove 250 miles again on Friday and it's not been right since.  Unfortuately the seats in our car don't suit me at all, they're very low.  Also it's an automatic and the accelerator is very far over to the right meaning  it's impossible for me to keep my right leg straight when driving.  Another 600 miles to come this week....

I've found a couple of osteopaths to speak to tomorrow.  In the meantime, I'm going slightly mad....

Kaz - how are you feeling tonight?  You don't lose fitness as quickly as you think you do ie not overnight!!  And when you're well and start running again you'll be surprised at how quickly is comes back.

Roll call for all the ill and injured - how are we all coping??

Dark Vader    pirate
09/12/2012 at 18:15

kaz..  just a thought...   I could never find a running jacket that was actually any good..  I tried loads..  I now run in cycling jackets...  I have a few different ones and they are of much better quality than running jackets...  they are better wind-breakers and more breathable so you don't end up all sweaty on the inside.   My current favorite is made by Altura and was about £100.  ok..  I know that is rather expensive for a light-weight jacket but if its the difference between being comfortable or not, then its money well worth spending.   I chucked out lots of cheap and ineffective running jackets before moving to cycling jackets.

Just a thought.....

wi
09/12/2012 at 18:15
DV the book is great. He gives plenty of tips on running per se and his thoughts on ultras, preparations and his mistakes. I bet you'll find it very useful.
What stroke me first was how humble and modest he is. Nothing of that " im the best of the best here's some drops of my wisdom". He just talks about his past and how it shaped him, the beginnings of his ultra carrier and the insights into his most important races. One ultra done with twisted ankle secured with duct tape kinda things, some parts read like a good suspense novel. You just can't put it down thinking' what's next?'
After each chapter he gives some of his vegan recipies and they yummy. I did some for Junior and he loved them ( laying grounds for future trainings;). )
What I liked as well was that he talks about the books he read and found useful. So I'm on "chirunning" right now thanks to him
09/12/2012 at 18:22

DV - Thanx for that thought! Sounds good. All my running jackets are not waterproof or windproof!! I will have to wait and see what he's bought?? At least he thought about what he was buying!!! I will definately be buying myself another, definately need two or more jackets!! And on the money front I have long since learnt that although more expensive initially, it usually means money well spent!!

YM - I am feeling a lot brighter so hopefully on the mend. I have not done very much in the last few days so it could be all the rest!!! Back to work tomorrow or I wll need a sick line!!

Edited: 09/12/2012 at 18:24
Dark Vader    pirate
09/12/2012 at 18:25

Wi..   Chi or POSE is the way to do it..      You will enjoy that...

09/12/2012 at 19:10

DV - it's a very funny video - I've seen it before and love it - but in my own defense, I'm not the preachy type of minimalist. It happens to work for me. 

I'm thinking about running in my cycling shirts - they have pockets. Why dont running shirts have pockets?  Tri shirts do, but they are all sleevlessand I want sleeves.

Nice easy 10 m this morning before work.

09/12/2012 at 19:34

DV - sorry, didn't realise it's already done the rounds. Vibrams one had me laughing.

09/12/2012 at 19:37

Yer_maj - and anyone else suffering with back and posture-related problems - you might want to look into getting one of these . I know a couple of people with back problems who use them for driving and it seems to make a big difference - essentially it balances out your posture when you're sitting and helps even you out.

Simon - that's pretty impressive - well done!

Away in T' Manger.. wrote (see)

You're right about the trousers, RR. We abandoned them..

So you've been running through central Glasgow in your pants again?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.