Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

6,881 to 6,900 of 19,622 messages
09/12/2012 at 19:41

Injury front...not great...currently wearing a sodding corset thing!

Thought it was slowly improving until I tried to put my socks on.  Hurt to try and reach my frrt but I thought stretching through the pain was the way to go....cue searing pain and complete inability to move.  Gradually easing again now but getting up/sitting down is still hard and I cant bend or twist.  also get spasms which all suggest driving to bournemouth, Poole, Nottingham and London might be in doubt this week let alone running.

09/12/2012 at 20:06
DLR - sorry about that. Back pain can be so frustrating. But one thing for sure - take the time to get it completely better the first time, else it will be back. Even if it costs you dearly in your training plans.
Dark Vader    pirate
09/12/2012 at 20:39

DLR...   I am totally with you on the back pain issue...  I have suffered with it for years...  find yourself a good osteopath and see she him/her reguarly, even when you don't have any pain...  keeping your back loose and as mobile as it can be is a good MOT...  I see mine every few months regardless, and weekly if I have pain problems.   I'm not entirely sure that it is ever 'fixed'.  I am now thinking that it is a case of pain management.   Sorry to hear this news...   

09/12/2012 at 21:15

Weedy - yes, it's been a very nervy week and the next few days will no doubt be the same. I'm up against some top guys in my group. If I get through I'll be elated. 

Feeling for you all with injuries. I'm not a pleasant person to kow when I'm out of action - so depressing.

I've had back pain too - a nasty business. I remember one year I had pains right down my legs - scared the life out of me. Chiro said stop running - yeah right! Luckily it eased off and went away. No troubles since (touch wood). 

Really wish you all the best with your recoveries.

09/12/2012 at 21:26

DLR - Oh nooooo..........I hope it settles quickly...........Osteopath.

BF is turning into a control freak!! He's just told me that I am under no circumstances allowed to run until Thursday?!?!? It'll be 2 whole weeks by then.........

09/12/2012 at 21:40

Sorry to hear about the injury DLR sounds painful.

09/12/2012 at 21:45

DLR that sounds awful  although a great opportunity to wear your corset again...

09/12/2012 at 22:20
Sounds nasty dlr.

Nice videos weedy and dlr. reminds me of the ironman videos....

3 mince pies today
09/12/2012 at 22:23
DLR - I've had back problems for years. If it's any consolation, taking up running 8 years ago has really helped to keep it in check.
09/12/2012 at 22:29

0 mince pies today. Must be living in the US that's the problem.

09/12/2012 at 22:32

DLR - That does sound nasty.

My injury report is that I've done a few short runs this week, but even after two months out there's something still not right. I've never been out this long and I'm starting to get more than a bit mentally beaten by this. My fitness is plummeting and I'm feeling well out of shape. If I can't get running freely for the start of the new year I think I'm going to have to withdraw from both Paris and London, as I'd be fast running out of time to get in any sort of condition to run a marathon after so long out.

10/12/2012 at 00:09

Eggy - hope it doesn't come to that

10/12/2012 at 00:10

Dec 26: Chevin Dash - SR.
Jan 1: Box Hill Knacker Cracker 10k - Holeymoley. Morpeth 10k - Iain Moore. Serpentine 10k - RR.
Jan 5/6: Enigma Double - Emmy.
Jan 12: Nato Run-Bike - TD.
Jan 13: Disney Marathon - Dannirr.
Jan 20: Four Villages Half - Dave The Ex Spartan, Orbutt.
Feb 10: Liversedge Half - SR.
Feb 17: Bramley 20 - Holeymoley, Tiddy. Brighton Half - Iain Moore. Nice 10m - Straycelt. Wrexham Half - Dave The Ex Spartan.
Feb 23: Standish Hall Trail Race - DLR.
Feb 24: Malta Marathon - Emmy.
Mar 3: Haweswater Half - SR. Hogweed Hill Half - Straycelt. Paris Half - ATM. Silverstone Half - Jimbob. St David's Day 10k - Yer Maj. Surrey Spitfire 20 - Tiddy.
Mar 16: Eco Trail de Paris - Emmy, RR.
Mar 17: Inverness Half - Kaz. Liverpool Half - Orbutt. Reading Half - Jimbob.
Mar 18: St Anne's 10-miler - DLR.
Mar 23: Coniston 14 - Iain Moore. Thames Path Ultra - DV.
Mar 24: Harewood House 10k - DLR. Hastings Half - Tiddy. Lexington Half - Straycelt.
Mar 30: Dallas Half - Straycelt.
Apr: London-Paris-London: DV.
Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Jack D Ripper, Bat Guano, King Kong, Lothar Zogg.
Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. London Marathon - Eggy, Straycelt.
Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Emmy, Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy.
May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
May 12: Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy.
May 27: London 10k - Jimbob. Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain Moore.
Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
Jun 23: Torbay Half - Jimbob.
Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
Jul 8: Paris Tri - RR.
Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra: DV.
Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - TD.
Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain Moore, Jimbob, Tiddy..
Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain Moore, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil Belgium, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj.
Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy.
Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday

10/12/2012 at 06:57

hee hee hee, veery funny weedy.

Eggy - Don't you even think about not coming over to Paris! We may excuse you from running but TD will need you on his support crew.  Keep the rehab going mate.  It'll get there.  the "still something wrong" feeling is pretty usual (unless it's more than just a niggle), you just gotta make sure that it doesn't go completely wrong again.  When I started running again after my PF it niggled away there for ages (it's probably what's changed my gait and stuffed me up now but oh well, got 3 marathons out in the meantime) and still has a wee go sometimes but I know how to gague it.

DLR - sexy time for you!  Naughty boy for over doing it.  Off to the medical money pit with yah.  I'll also put in my habitual plug for pilates, great for strengthening all the muscles in the back but you gotta keep at it.  If I don't my back goes.

Kaz - well...he's being a bit harsh BUT you have had a chest infection and been on antibiotics.  I think taking your doggie for a walk is enough exercise for this week.

10/12/2012 at 07:35
DLR - sounds nasty. Can you get yourself to a physio? It's not that you have a chronic back problem, you've done something short and sharp to it - there may be something remedial that can be done to it?

Eggy - I'm with RS - take it slowly and don't expect too much too soon. Pilates is definitely a good idea in the long term, although I wouldn't recommend starting now with a recovering groin injury, because the core work might aggravate it.

Dannirr - can we post you some mince pies? Though they might not get there until after Christmas, and I'm not sure how well they'd survive in the post...
10/12/2012 at 08:28

Weedy - for next week's update could you add me in for the Blackpool Half on Feb 20th? Ta.

Eggy - chin up, mate. If anyone can get back it will be you.

DLR - how's it today?

10/12/2012 at 09:27

Osteopath appointment for me later this afternoon....in the meantime my 10 miles run will be done....on my bike.  I've realised how shite my bike is - I want a new one

Eggy - you have to come to Paris

wi
10/12/2012 at 09:48
Weedy could you add me on 25th march for Warsaw Half
10/12/2012 at 10:01

What bike do you have at the moment yer_maj? Is it just for cross training or are you into triathlon as well? Not that I know much about bikes. 

10/12/2012 at 10:11

Malcs it's a shonky old hybrid thing that I bought for £250 10 years ago.  The frame is a bit bent from when I was knocked off it last year but it's not worth spending any more money on it really...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.