Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

6,901 to 6,920 of 19,623 messages
10/12/2012 at 10:27

Ah

Would you go for a hybrid again or a road bike? My wife bought a specialize vita elite in the spring and she loves it. Her favourite part is the saddle which she says is incredibly comfortable. She no longer walks like John Wayne afterwards so there must be something in it.

10/12/2012 at 10:33

Hmmm we have a really good independent bike shop just around the corner and they were trying to persuade me onto the road bike end of things when I popped in for a look yesterday.  I'm tempted because I do so little off road stuff....I'm going to test ride a few this week I think then maybe whisper into Santa's ear in a sultry manner....either way it's not going to be an expensive beast as I'm not a serious cyclist.

10/12/2012 at 10:51

Orbutt, WiolQn - will do.

10/12/2012 at 11:52

Don't worry all I'll be in Paris. I'm Scottish and I've paid for the flights, so I'm bloody well going. Being fit to run is open for debate at this point.

Oh bike talk, as a roadie I'm all for a road bike. Although I've been tempted with "investing" in a cyclocross bike that is basically a slightly modified road bike that can handle rough canal paths and kerb hopping.

10/12/2012 at 11:53

yer_maj - my wife really wanted to go for a road bike but she's scared of drop handlebars   

Weedy - the only race I'm currently booked in on so far is the Thunder Run on 27th-28th July. There will be more once I sort myself out.

10/12/2012 at 12:22

Malcs - Thunder Run's on my to-do list. I'm not daft enough to give it a go on my own and can never persuade other people to form a team. How far/long you aiming to run for?

10/12/2012 at 12:36

I did it for the first time this summer - absolutely fantastic event. Can't recommend it enough. I'm in a team of 5 but we all have different targets. I did 6 10K laps this year but I'd really like to go for 8 next year. Couldn't imagine doing it on my own though.

There was talk of putting together one or more teams on the 26.2 thread. You'd be more than welcome to join in one of those. I can give you a shout if something gets sorted and you're still interested.

Edited: 10/12/2012 at 12:37
10/12/2012 at 12:54

Thanks Malcs, but i'm doing DV's parallelathon on Jul 22, so I'm going to have to pass this year. And the year after's the assault on Comrades. Maybe 2015 tho.

Anyone else fancy forming a Thunder Run team in 2015?

Dark Vader    pirate
10/12/2012 at 12:56

My what..?    I think you mean TD...

10/12/2012 at 13:25
Weedy - ditto for Comrades. 2014 unless my legs fall apart or something else gives out (like Mrs D)
10/12/2012 at 13:47
Having just discovered Mrs. Browns Boys, I have wasted an hour of productive work dying from laughter on YouTube.
10/12/2012 at 13:59

Yes, sorry DV. Meant TD.

10/12/2012 at 14:02
Dannirr wrote (see)
Having just discovered Mrs. Browns Boys, I have wasted an hour of productive work dying from laughter on YouTube.

My parents showed me Mrs Browns Boys a few months ago. I was sitting at my desk for a few days crying with laughter. My favourite is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QarofaycN3c

ATM
10/12/2012 at 14:07

Eggy, don't despair. You've got loads of time.The first thing is to get well enough to train...the current goal simply being the Start, not the Finish. You'll recover your form quickly. If it all goes pear-shaped, become a Benevole..if only for the must-have anorak 'n' cap they'll give you. (And the exciting packed lunch...)

It is a beautiful, sunny, day up here.'Pity, then, that it's too icy to run outside.I can't stand consecutive days on a treadmill so  I'm heading off-road, tomorrow.The ground will be rought but, maybe, not slippy...

Hang in there, Malcs.It must be getting a bit nerve-wracking, now.

ATM
10/12/2012 at 14:13

Weedy - parallelathon? Not even google could help me with that one! What's that all about then?

ATM - thanks, yes - just a little bit!   

10/12/2012 at 15:00
No Internet all weekend. Marvellous. Just spent an hour catching up...

Dannirr - sad but expected update about mid-LSR baby. I'm sure the parents know how lucky they were having you and your team looking after their child.

I am constantly reminded how fortunate we are to be healthy (if prone to injury).
10/12/2012 at 15:02
Ps. Mrs Brown's Boys?!

Makes me ashamed to be Irish! ????
10/12/2012 at 15:25

I've only caught snippets of Mrs Browns Boys, but if it's Irish comedy we're talking about it has to Father Ted or Ed Byrne playing live.

I should be glad of my health, as I was a very premature baby and was given a limit chance of survival. When I made it through the early days my parents where told to expect I'd have bad eyesight and stunted growth. I've certainly got the bad eyesight, but at 6'4" I'm not so sure about the stunted growth!

10/12/2012 at 15:51

Jeez Eggy - imagine how tall you would have been

10/12/2012 at 16:16

Malcs - if you have a look at TD's post on page 331 about the Stop the Traffik run. I'd love to do it, but can't really afford it, so suggested anyone in the same boat as me could meet up and do a marathon over here to coincide with the finish. Someone christened it the Parallelathon. Venue and time TBA. Date TBA as well, but possibly Jul 22 or thereabouts.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.