Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

7,601 to 7,620 of 19,622 messages
25/12/2012 at 12:43
DV , very good video , a family with too much spare time on their hands lol

A quick four mile run thus morning after three days of inaction , feeling better for it

And merry Xmas everyone , hope u got everything u wanted and some nice surprises
25/12/2012 at 12:57

What's Kermit the Frog's favourite dance?
The hokey-croakey

25/12/2012 at 13:07
Weedy - Born to Run may lead you down the barefoot/minimalist path......it did me

Merry Christmas all. Extremely foggy here today - 6 miles planned after work.
25/12/2012 at 14:11
Thanks for the 12 days of Christmas song DV. Enjoyed by the whole family. Can't get off the sofa. I'm laying low after lunch. Can't move. Happy. Drinky poos.
25/12/2012 at 14:28

Maus - it's not like me to be clever

ATM
25/12/2012 at 16:08

'Will do dishes after the chariot race...* Don't pretend you don't know...*

ATM
25/12/2012 at 16:39

DV - really lovely video!

Dannirr - hope work's ok today, you've been doing some running recently!

25/12/2012 at 16:40

Ps. Dannirr - did you see this story:

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/12/24/2455025/kentucky-childrens-hospital-nurse.html

25/12/2012 at 17:54
Iain - that's an incredible story. The dedication I see from our nurses every day never ceases to amaze me. It takes a very special person to be able to transcend all the equipment, do painful and unpleasant tasks to these babies, yet see through all of it to bond with and care or the person inside that struggling little body. It's a funny system - we, the doctors, get all the praise or thanks from the family, yet it is the nurse who makes the biggest contribution to the baby's outcome, not us. And as a society, we don't value them enough (or firefighters, police and teachers) - as evidenced by how little we pay them. If you ever need to refresh your faith in humanity, follow a nurse around for a day.
25/12/2012 at 18:09
Dannirr - I couldn't have put it better myself. I can pinpoint the change in my attitude at work to when I realised hospitals are nothing without our nursing staff, more particularly in some specialties, such as yours (and I suppose renal too). A unit runs well due to empathetic and caring nursing staff. The medical staff should facilitate this, making it a fully inclusive multi-disciplinary environment. Typically, our nursing staff get it hardest from relatives when there are problems and their good nature is continually exploited by the NHS.

Have to keep reminding itself how lucky we are to do what we do.
25/12/2012 at 18:34
Aye, 'tis a day to feel gratitude indeed. I thought that came across really well in the (British) Queen's speech, which I had the pleasure of watching in 3D. One was amused.

So hooray for nurses and firemen and teachers and anyone who does a job where the amount of effort they put in rarely goes noticed or rewarded.
25/12/2012 at 19:22

Tricky you should drink more Champagne- I see the queen in 3D every year

ATM
25/12/2012 at 20:10

Teacher! * 'Was laywer. Don't throw stuff!* Best job in world...

ATM
25/12/2012 at 23:25
Merry Crimbo to the thread posse x x

Must try to run tomorrow as have eaten enough to feed a small elephant for a week
25/12/2012 at 23:38
Iain and Dannir: here here! Have either of you read 'The Checklist Manifesto' by Atul Gawande? It's about a doctor who was approached by the WHO to lower avoidable deaths and harm from surgery. He develops a checklist. It sounds very dull, I know, but the stories are amazing - from major construction projects to the Boeing aircraft checklist testing facility, the book explores how checklists are used to make sure things get done right in this world of increasing complexity.
I found it utterly fascinating. A huge part of the success of it lies with the nurses: they not only make sure the checklist gets followed, but they get to know and share the things they know, which in itself improves patient care.

DV: that is a great song. Your wife has a magnificent voice - it resonates and soars as clear-as-a-bell.
25/12/2012 at 23:49
DV- fantastic!!

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you've all had a wonderful day with family/friends.

One very happy household here

And I managed to run 6 miles at 5am!!!
26/12/2012 at 06:52
Yay Kaz! And I meant to say you'll be welcome to come visit me anytime. Maybe you can kick me in the backside to run a bit faster!
Dark Vader    pirate
26/12/2012 at 08:14

Dannirr & Iain...   well said.  Totally agree.

Jimbob..  scroll back a few pages..  I put up some photos of my kit, just for you.  

Maus, and others...  many thanks for the kind words of the 12 days of xmas effort..  we had a lot of fun doing that...    yes, Mrs DV does indeed have a great voice, but she was just messing around in that song...  here is a better recording of her..:

http://www.harrietwebb.com/harriet/Durufledemo.mp3

I'm very proud of her, but she rarely gets the opportunity to perform live anymore...  maybe a few times each year...

We had a brilliant day here...  lots of fun and food and drink...  

26/12/2012 at 10:01

MM - aware of the WHO surgical safety checklist but not the story - sounds good, I will chase up the book from somewhere.

Music - clearly a lot of music lovers on this thread, which is great. I do realise a fair proportion of runners don't like listening to music while running (or others listening to music either!) I however could not run without it. Yesterday I had Peter Gabriel's Don't Give Up just at the right tome and today Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen came on at just the right spot... I know this topic has been done to death but in the light of the DV family's recent endeavours - isn't music marvelous? Yet another wonderful thing to be thankful for. (Btw I may still be on today's running high...)

Enjoy the Boxing Day festivities.

26/12/2012 at 10:34
Iain I wish I could get the runners "high" everyone talks of , I don't know if I believe it even exists , the closest I get is runners "relief "
It's when my brain thanks me ever so much ,for stopping what I'm doing to its body

, the sweating skin , the tired muscles , the faster beating heartbeat , the over used lungs , the constant jiggling of every major organ inside me , my numb fingers in the cold ,,,, yes still waiting for that good old runners high , will I ever get it ???
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.