Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

8,621 to 8,640 of 19,622 messages
23/01/2013 at 10:46

I'll be absolutely over the moon with 4:10 this year, which would be a 45 minute pb - I did 4:56 last year.

23/01/2013 at 10:51

Going on your sub 2 half time that is certainly possible. When I ran that 4:16 it was in October 2007 six weeks after having ran a 2:02 at my first ever Glasgow half marathon.

Kaz - Knowing you I wouldn't be worried about stamina or fitness for your return to running. I'd be more concerned with you ramping up the mileage far too quickly.

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 10:53
23/01/2013 at 11:00

Yer_maj - With your half time, as Eggy says, that is certainly more than achievable, especially  with your dedicated training at the moment.

Eggy - As if I would do that!

23/01/2013 at 11:05

It'll be pushing it - it's only a sub 2 by the skin of my teeth....but fingers crossed!!

23/01/2013 at 11:15

Well that 2:02 was my half PB at that point too and I wasn't running anything like a P&D plan for that marathon. I think my highest mileage week back then was less than 40 miles!

I didn't set a goal time for that marathon right enough. I just went out to see what I could do. In fact in those days I didn't even time my training runs, or vary my sessions. Everything was just a go out and run session! I expected to be a bit quicker, but was shocked that I took nearly an hour off my time ten months after running my first marathon.

23/01/2013 at 11:18
JB73 - great story! The doctor may have his priorities somewhat awry.

Dave - no, I get what your wife means. Effectively I would expect a physical and my GP made me have an ECG, blood pressure check etc. before issuing. It was basically a well-man check up. Which was reassuring to him and me. This year he was happier to sign. (He's such a nice bloke he didn't charge me either.)

TD - looking forward to hearing about The Long Run...

Eggy/YM - 4hr30 in Paris this year would be a great time for me!
23/01/2013 at 11:29

Iain - Right now 4:30 would be a great time for me, but I'm still clinging to the hope of some improvement over the next ten weeks.

23/01/2013 at 11:32
I must sneak a peak and see who she has got to sign HER medical certificate !
23/01/2013 at 12:03

Shrewsbury have their first marathon in June. A 4 lap course. I am certainly tempted by this.

As Paris would be my first marathon (all being well and good) do you think it would be too soon to commit myself to a second marathon 2 months later.

I have wondered how to deal with the training aspect  and whether you would just start at week 8 of a 16 week schedule.

I am not sure whether I am running before I can walk so to speak.

ATM
23/01/2013 at 12:06

'Got my Certificate.

Now, then * 'Mum' voice...* It's not a bad idea to scan your certificate and send yourself a copy on a web-based mail system. Then, when you discover that you've left the original at home.....Internet Cafe etc etc. Ditto, adding yourself to the Moblies list in due course to avoid solo panicking.

ATM
23/01/2013 at 13:13

James - I'd say it's possible. Not sure how best to tackle training for it though. I guess Emmy could given you some pointers, as she seems to run a marathon every other week.

23/01/2013 at 14:08

James - wow, that's where I grew up and where my parents still live - I might do that one just for a bit of fun....do you have a link or do I have to look it up all by myself??!  I'm having a month off after Paruis and I'm doing Beachy head in October so it would be a slow run for me if I do it.

Just had a look and I might just do the Half - I have a hen do the weekend before which isn't going to help the cause!!

ATM - I obsessively send everything to my dropbox...

23/01/2013 at 14:09

Got myself in a cheeky little 10K at lunchtime. My office is just 250m from the entrance to a parc and forest and with a fair bit of fog and frost, it was really beautiful and calm. Great environment to plod around in the snow.

23/01/2013 at 14:13

I used to live outside Shrewsbury - out towards Church Stretton. Parents still there. Which means run and beer time. Which makes it quite attractive.

23/01/2013 at 14:14

One man's plod is another (wo)man's sprint finish....

23/01/2013 at 14:16

James - whereabouts?  My parensts still live in the hosue they bought when I was 18 months old...

23/01/2013 at 14:27

I lived in Dorrington for about 5 years. My parents and sister live just outside in the country. Used to work in Shrewsbury for a while before moving the Chester.

23/01/2013 at 14:32

I know Dorrington well...I used to go out with a boy from Frodesley - he may well be running this one too as we're still good friends.

Just signed up for the Half.  That should ensure us a heatwave that weekend....notice there are a couple of cheeky hills up Ashton & Kennedy Roads...

23/01/2013 at 14:36

I still go into the Horsehoes regularly. It's changed quite a lot in the last ten years. From memory I think there was a pub called the Swan in Frodesley. But I think this has closed down now.

I would also use the Pound at Leebotwood and the Bottle and Glass. Plus the very nice curries in Jaipurs in Church Stretton.

Not that I use pubs and Indians very much .

23/01/2013 at 14:38

Mr Weedy Fairy...can you put me down for the Shrewsbury HM on 23rd June....thanky ...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.