Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

9,201 to 9,220 of 19,623 messages
05/02/2013 at 22:04
Bonjour. My 1st marathon. Loads of info on the Paris site, and others including RW, but no-one speaks about race etiquette. Old forum suggests do and don't sheets with bib pack but no details is what to do. Eg Which side should slow runners be on? I ran the Paris 20k, very disorganised. Heard marathon is better but overcrowded, why don't they stagger start and drink stations on both sides of the roads. Or is it dog eat chien?
05/02/2013 at 22:17

PC91 - The marathon does have a staggered start, or more to the point they start the race in waves. I never noticed any crowding issues last year, but the water stations at any big event will always be a bit of war zone.

I'd don't think there's such a thing as a slow lane. Just find your rythm and keep tapping out. You've picked a great marathon for your first one.

05/02/2013 at 22:18
PC91 - welcome
I wouldn't say that Paris is disorganised but I don't think that there was any etiquette regarding which side to run. In parts the route isn't wide enough to implement something like this.
Last year they did use a stagger start and as a result there was no real overcrowding - apart from the pens.
I think that having drinks stations on both sides of the roads would cause a bottleneck in some places - again due to the width of the streets. At least if they are only one one side and you are bypassing then you can run on the other side. Plus the drinks stations tended to be quite long, so there was never a problem getting a drink.

Anyway, introduce yourself. How is your training going? What is your target? Are you allergic to shellfish? (Weedy - name the film?)
05/02/2013 at 22:43

Hi PC91
The personal etiquette rules I go with are...
I don't have my ipod on loud enough so I can't hear what's going on around me
If I need to stop for a wee, I run to the side of the road, then walk, not stop dead in the middle of the road and walk to the side.
If I don't need to take anything from a station, I move to the opposite side of the road.
And if someone looks like they're in trouble, I ask if they're ok.

Orbutt - allergic to shellfish... I'm going to have to think about that one. Nothing's jumping to mind. Sounds like it could be from a comedy tho, maybe, possibly.

Emmy H wrote (see)
Where's weedy with the good pictures?

Claxons will start ringing in our IT room if I start googling women in leather...

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/727962/gallery/images_0.jpg?width=350

05/02/2013 at 22:46
Live in France, did Paris 20k last October, this was disorganised, came home in 1h52 but started next to sub 1h30 and plus 2h30. Still it was great fun and I was still on the high 3 days later when the marathon registration opened. Training was going well, 23-27k LR, then had a kidney stone. Medicine knocked me for 6. Beginners lose form dramatically, wiped the smug smile off my face. Back on track. Great thing about being a beginner, loads of PB ! HM end of the month which will indicate my goal time, hopefully sub 4h. "1st timers shouldnt fix times", if I crash and burn then hopefully sub 5h.
Should have looked up the quote, fish called wanda ?
05/02/2013 at 22:47

Only film I can think of with shellfish in's Forrest Gump. Running connection there but I don't remember anyone being allergic to it. Unless it was a throwaway line from Lieutenant Dan

I'll keep thinking. Dammit, I'll be awake all night now.

05/02/2013 at 22:56
Cheers for the info. Btw I've found the quote, goodnight weedy.
Dark Vader    pirate
05/02/2013 at 22:57

Kaz.....

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/98627/gallery/6a00d834519c3c69e201348094fa3f970c-200wi_1.gif?width=350

05/02/2013 at 23:01
Orbutt - put up your arms and all your flippers . (And, for the record, lobster brings me out in a rash).
05/02/2013 at 23:23
Mmmmmmm lobster. I had a lobster roll in New York, bloody lovely it was too.
06/02/2013 at 07:11
Bonjour pc91. Etiquette wise, I always try to avoid farting in a marathon in the starting pens. Once you get going, it's pretty hard to pin down the blame so its safe to let it rip. and that little issue aside, I try to smile a lot and not shove people if they are in my way and the crowds always appreciate a smile, wave or joke if they have given your cheer.

So Kaz, will you publish your running data on Garmin Connect or Strava so we can hold you to account for your level of effort? It's another way of saying can we as your crowd of running friends help you do the right thing to get the most complete recovery?

Lovely day one and all.
06/02/2013 at 07:14
Quick BTW. I started reading The Chimp Paradox last night by Dr.Steve Peters, they guy who is the Head Psychiatrist for the British Olympic team, and most notably the guy who worked withnBritish Cycling and Bradley Wiggins.

All I can say is the psychological model he is introducing is funny, insightful, easy to read and somewhat profound. I'd recommend this book to all of you, not just in being able to manage the inner mind when running a marathon, but for better self-understanding and life in general. Cheers.
06/02/2013 at 07:27

Hey pc91 the only advice I would give, is find some way not to need a pee at the start, seriously, as you will end up going in the pen in front of a zillion people.  Oh, on a prudish front - TD - you admit to farting! You have been away from British shores too long my friend, too long....

Kaz, I know you well enough to kow that nothing can keep you from the great outdoors and your running shoes, big hug and I will see you for a beer at the end whatever state you arrive in  (just don't bring the dog, I'm a bit scared of big dogs)

06/02/2013 at 07:34

Has Kaz been naughty?  Does she need a spanked bottom?

My experience of motion control vs minimalist is that for several years I was 'prescribed' strong support or motion control shoes at shoe shops, and couldn't run more than 20 miles/ 3 runs a week without shin splints, for which the solution offered in the shops was even more support.

In 2009 I started wearing neutral shoes after upping my cadence and starting to fore/mid foot strike and the lower leg pains disappeared.  Spent most of the last 3 years or so wearing lightweight racing shoes.   I think I'd struggle to transition to genuine zero drop shoes because of the tendency toward calf tightness but 9-12mm drop seems to work ok for me.

Now, off to find my paddle...

06/02/2013 at 07:43
PC91 wrote (see)
Cheers for the info. Btw I've found the quote, goodnight weedy.

Hmmm, that changes things. I was thinking it was a plot point, either a comedy where someone eats shellfish and has a bad reaction to it, or a James Bond type thriller where someone's bumped off with powdered clam slipped into a drink.

But if it's a quote... Annie Hall? There's the scene where he's cooking the lobster for Diane Keaton. Racking my brains trying to think if he asks he if she's allergic to shellfish. Dammit, I should know that, it's a top film and a top scene.

If it's not Annie Hall it has to be a movie where two people are getting to know each other. Maybe When Harry Met Sally or something along those lines.

I'll keep thinking...

Off for a short run to test my achilles...

ATM
06/02/2013 at 07:48

'Morning, PC91.Welcome to the thread.Etiquette? Some people...well, guys....don't like being' asked' to move aside by a firmish hand on their person.It's not the challenge that it might seem...I kinda like the random contact...

TD! TD! Always deny it. Even if there's only two of you. And you're in a lift..

ATM
06/02/2013 at 07:59

I have farted once when in a group of runners. 

Was a running club jaunt, we'd just set off and there was a momentary lull in conversation and, well, it just happened.  Quite loudly. 

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to give a quick sideways 'dirty look' at the deaf runner in the group, who remained oblivious to his crime.

06/02/2013 at 08:23
Runners nipple...ouch
06/02/2013 at 08:54

Still Huffin!

Two long walks is on the plan today, one with my big mutt and one to and from a little job I have to do. Then with any luck, since the boats are now sailing my 'little' package from RS will arrive........I'm excited......and it is all part of my easy recovery plan!!

TD - I don't have garmin or strava!

06/02/2013 at 09:21

Right Orbutt. Annie Hall. Final answer. Can't recall the quote but it fits and it's something he'd say. If I'm wrong, I don't know what it is. Or was it her saying it to him?

Kaz - Great news. Hope weather's okay.

Emmy - this any use?...

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/727962/gallery/pic.jpg?width=350

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.