Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

9,321 to 9,340 of 19,622 messages
09/02/2013 at 17:13
Daddsy - problem at 14m? Stomach issues? If so, I've had similar and have been looking for a good solution so may give them a go.
Especially as RR is recommending them.
09/02/2013 at 17:31

Orbutt - That was on my last long run (15m) where I didn't take anything out with me (and, now I think about it, no breakfast and a sandwich for dinner the night before) , I just felt like my energy had gone instantly. I was actually quite suprised how easily my stomach dealt with the jelly beans given that the only time I've ever eaten within 2hrs of running I only ate a slice of toast and was in agony a few miles in. Figured it's best I get used to it now and yeah, jelly beans did the trick at a tiny cost compared to gels (they taste pretty good too, in my opinion)

09/02/2013 at 18:07
I'm sure that runners urine is the least of their worries. I must admit that the sight of a dozen asses at every wine stop (so every km) was a sight to get used to! It was quite funny because you'd suddenly see a gladiator squat down and they jump back up and start running again! Is definitely a great experience. I've decided not to do it this year as a friend of mine has said that the 30th anniversary (next year) will be a lot better for the celebration and party atmosphere.... I'm considering the cognac marathon instead

@Orbutt - I personally only peed on the finest vines at the best chateau en route it was about 3 hrs in and I was bursting from the amount of wine I had drunk! How did you program your pyramid session? Which area did you go into? I've got the alerts working on LSR for my pace but couldn't find a pyramid session workout.... Yes I am a complete numpty when it comes to my garmin!
09/02/2013 at 19:05

just ran 4 miles to a football pitch then referee'd a game and did another 3 and a half miles according ot the gps - the map is quite amusing! (mind you a good warm down from the run and yesterday's hard session)

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/157400/gallery/referee.jpg?width=350

ATM
09/02/2013 at 19:51

hehe JB..It's the thread mind-map...

ATM
09/02/2013 at 20:08
Emmy - do you have a 610? Are you happy uploading to Garmin Connect?
If so, I can knock up a step by step guide to creating a pyramid workout.
09/02/2013 at 21:57

Collected my medical certificate from the Docs today. Was told that there was no need for an examination - they were happy to sign the thing blind in return for £15. crazy. Still, that's one less thing to organise!

Had a miserable 19 miles in the rain and cold today ... garmin went a bit nuts for a couple of miles (told me I was running between 3 and 5 minute miles!  Gentle 4 miles tomorrow with my daughter as part of her first half-marathon training plan and that's a total of 50 miles for the week   

09/02/2013 at 22:32
Well done RL3

The medical certificate is to keep the French doctors busy. I got mine last year, overweight, out of shape, couldn't run 10mins, he didnt even take my blood pressure. Needed for a 10k but still valid for marathon.

Tonight, LSR 30km - 3h15 .
09/02/2013 at 23:00

Contact Garmin RR- they usually offer replacements for faulty ones at a reduced price. I got my 110 from Amazon, not sure if they are still available but they regularly have deals.

Congrats on the long runs folks. Even if it feels bad, they will get easier with time.

09/02/2013 at 23:04

ran paris in 2011, asked the doc for the medical form. oh no, i cant sign that she says , not without an examination. Then she discovers with i have a heart murmour. You have a heart murmour, er yeah its in my notes had it all my life. Doc says why , pass your the doctor. So she gives me an ecg. still not happy, blood pressure , no thats up to, yes i tell her, it always does when im sat here in your surgery. Then it goes down when i leave, trust me its fine. Nope, still cant sign, i want you to see a cardiologist. I say you are joking right. nope she aint. Sorry she say's it wont happen before Paris. Oh right thanks. So i conclude that i will have a few days in paris seeing the sights. contacts, are very important, i go off and see a friendly doctor who knows my history and running history, form signed off i trot to paris.

Moving on to June, i finally go and see the cardiologist, cant hurt i thought, so full echo cardiagram, weird seeing your heart in colour. 20 minutes later im sat with the consultant, who turns round and says your totally fine, carry on running. And then explained why i have murmour. cool. ps i also had a 24hr blood pressure monitor. 116/ ...... what ever it was. anyway my doctor didnt even ask to take my blood pressure and has never asked since Enjoy Paris everyone, take lots of money

10/02/2013 at 00:45

Royston,

Sounds to me like your gp did the right thing. Not convenient to be sure, but it ws correct.  The absence of finding something wrong does not mean she was wrong.

10/02/2013 at 00:56
Happy Birthday Emmy - enjoy your run
10/02/2013 at 06:42
Dawn's crack. Tired legs and feel like I haven't had enough sleep. Must be time for a long run.
10/02/2013 at 07:48
Happy birthday Emmy and good luck for today's race. And good running to everyone else doing an LSR today. Or an SSR. Or just SOTSWTR*

*sitting on the sofa watching the rugby.
10/02/2013 at 08:47
Penblwydd Hapus Emmy, have a good run!

Fab day for me yesterday, lovely lunch with friends. Mr Maj bought me a fab Orla Kiely dress (in the sale!), we went to see the magnificent arsed James McAvoy being an exceptionally good Macbeth....this was my birthday present and a fine one it was too.

Must sort my medical certificate.
10/02/2013 at 10:22
'OO'50 wrote (see)

Contact Garmin RR- they usually offer replacements for faulty ones at a reduced price. I got my 110 from Amazon, not sure if they are still available but they regularly have deals.

Cheers.  However the Garmin Forums tell many a sorry tale about their customer service experiences!  My 405CX has always worked perfectly straight out of the box and I have NEVER uploaded a revised firmware - that's where most peoples' problems begin.

I think the 'blip' was probably down to some horrible weather conditions at that point in the run combined with the watch being smothered by layers of soaking clothing. Having dried it out and carried out a hard reset all appears well again! We'll see, but I have hard GPS evidence to show I ran a 4 minute mile!

10/02/2013 at 11:35

feeling a little on the tired side after that 19 mile jaunt round London. Dan Lewis is a naughty boy - he's a crazy bull! Trying to squeeze the pace up all the time. It was a little on the quick side. i suppose it doesn't hurt to do the odd long run at close to marathon pace. Next week slower (and must get more sleep the night before) - felling very "stoned"

10/02/2013 at 11:47

Well done TJB!

Happy Birthday Emmy!

I'm about to venture out for my first long run on the Island - 24km. Not really looking forward to it, if I'm honest, but it just MUST be done.

I am fairly certain I'll get lost despite careful map examination. If I'm not back by 3, send a search party....

10/02/2013 at 11:56
Cheers Maus, by the way it rained the whole bloody run so pretty tough conditions especially coming back thru the muddy heath, took it out of my legs!
10/02/2013 at 12:03

I suspect I'm about to suffer a similar fate...weather's pretty gloomy, but at least it's not 35 degrees!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.