Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

9,441 to 9,460 of 19,622 messages
11/02/2013 at 20:10

Yep - I've been told by a 12 year old that my arse doesn't work properly....

11/02/2013 at 20:12
The Jimbob wrote (see)
RR shine a torch down yer throat, if u can see the little white nasties at the back of yer throat that's bacterial. Otherwise u might have something viral. I swear this training makes you run down.

It does if your do your LSRs hell for leather, matey.  Hoist by your own petard

11/02/2013 at 20:23

A very busy thread today........

Welcome Emma and Vicki.

Eggy - glad your feeling a bit better.

YM - Interesting feedback, All sounds very positive and as you said its good to be proved right!!

I today, have broken my first rule of my recovery period and I am mad at myself. A woman I used to run with every Monday night, came to work today to see If I would run with her tonight.......and what do I say......yes of course On a plus note I did bail at 5 miles and let her do the last two on her own. So in the last two days I have run more miles than the last 7 weeks........I will not be running tomorrow, but do plan to run on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

Docs again on Wednesday...........don't think there is much point asking about the certificate this time yet.

11/02/2013 at 20:47
YM - even better, you paid for a 12 year old to tell you that your arse isn't working properly .

Kaz - what are we going to do with you?
11/02/2013 at 20:49

RR -  I am locking myself  in and throwing the keys out the window!!

11/02/2013 at 20:57

RR - I didn't, it was free

11/02/2013 at 21:23

HEAPS of action on here today!  welcome to the newbies.  Seems the good advice bunnies have been working their magic and you've all got answers which I agree with (not a yoda myself but you learn a thing or two hanging out on here).

naughty naughty kaz!  but...how'd it go? Go join Eggy on the doctor appointed naughty step.  I took today off as leg is twinging a bit.  we shall see how it goes tomorrow.  Am planning on a toodle around the embankment on friday evening if anyone wants to join.  I'll be going WAY slower than most and only up to 15 kms...but could do with company.  Won't be hitting the pub afterwards though

yer_maj - you had what I had!  it's great, isn't it?!?!  really helped me identify problems areas and also what's going right.   I have good high heel kicks

11/02/2013 at 21:30

RS - It went 'ok', considering!! Think I need to unwrap a new pair of trainers, pain in side of knee yesterday and today but Eldest told me I opened present pair on 18th September - How does she remember that????? - and ran in them prior to op, everyday, and did all my walking afterwards in them!

I too will be trying a longer distance on Friday or Saturday(If I don't run Friday). I am just going to run to time, not distance thou...........

11/02/2013 at 21:41

Welcome Emma & Vicky.

Emma - every time you stretch the LSR distance it probably is going to be a bit tough but each time you do it its training in the bank ready for next time.

Dan- did I just read that you have a protein shake before bed?  If so, is that specific timing to aid muscle repair?

11/02/2013 at 21:49

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/581164/gallery/yesnaby.jpg?width=350

Can't wait for my early morning runs here again.

11/02/2013 at 22:23

DLR - no. the timing is specific, but not for muscle recovery (although  like that idea!). It's diet control. My worst out-of-control period is between dinner (supper) and bed.  So if I have my protein shake about an hour after dinner, it satisfies my "hunger" and chocolate craving and I don't go nuts on other stuff.  But, in order to aid muscle recovery, I do have a 4:1 carbrotein shake (Endurox name brand) after every run over 60 minutes. One scoop for an easy run, two scoops for a long or hard run.

11/02/2013 at 22:27

I might need to do this:

http://www.runnersworld.com/general-interest/runners-eat-342000-doughnuts

11/02/2013 at 22:38

I see an emoticon gets inserted even when I dont want one.  That was meant to be a 4:1 carb : protein shake.  

12/02/2013 at 09:02

GROUNDHOG DAY!

ATM
12/02/2013 at 09:08

Hang in there, TJB...You've only got 3+ more weeks of this and then the taper..

ATM
12/02/2013 at 09:51
ATM wrote (see)

Hang in there, TJB...You've only got 3+ more weeks of this and then the taper..

That's a frightening thought. Don't feel like I've even started training for this yet!

12/02/2013 at 10:01
Running Rodent wrote (see)
Jimbob - here's what I posted a while back about LSRs - although it prompted a discussion about training and glycogen depletion, which is a different issue:

The theory on long runs is (apologies to any medics out there for over-simplification): your body stores energy in two forms - fat and glycogen (carbs). When you exercise you use both kinds, but it's easier to access glycogen, which is stored in the liver and muscles, than fat, which is stored - wherever you store fat. A fit person who hasn't done enough endurance training will probably have enough glycogen to run about 15-20 miles - after that you switch to fat burning only. Fat burns more slowly, and needs more oxygen to do so, therefore you have to slow down, and feel crap - this is 'the wall'. The purpose of long slow runs is to train your body to burn more fat, earlier, conserving glycogen for later in the run, it's not to replicate race pace. It's a combination of endurance, speedwork and adrenaline on the day that will get you round at the right speed.

Today I'm paying the penalty of a hard training weekend. On the plus side, I don't have any aches and pains. On the downside, three days of galloping around in icy rain with wet feet and I think I've got Jimbob's tonsils .

YM - interesting feedback from the Running School - sounds like you've really got something to work with there.

In terms of the LSR theory, not sure if there is an answer but how does this work?  How does your body decide that it needs to use more fat instead of glycogen?  is there anything that can be done / eaten to reduce the chances of feeling rubbish by 15 odd miles?

Am planning on fitting in a few more 16 odd milers before the race (on top of the 20 miler - my longest distance that i will run) and would be useful to know how best to prepare.  I know everyone is different but are there any specific types of food etc. i should eat on the day / day before that would help or is it generally pasta and some protien etc?

Thanks - this is a great thread! really helpful reading through all the posts.

12/02/2013 at 10:14

Time is flying - I can't believe it's that close. I have my last long run (32km/20 miles) planned for 24th of March and then it's taper from then on. Scary thought!

12/02/2013 at 10:39

Vicky - The more long runs you do the more you adapt to them. As for eating on the day I'd recommend eating what you do prior to your long training runs. Never introduce something new on race day, as you never know if it will agree with you or not. Your body moves to fat when it runs out of glycogen. Part of the long runs in training is to get used to that happening.

The day before most folk carb load, but I think it's wise to make sure you don't over eat. Also try and stick with what you know. It's the training you put in that will see you through the day, not a magical meal the night before. Last year there was a couple of forum carb loading meet ups the night before the race. It's a good way to ease any pre-race nerves and put faces to names.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 10:41
12/02/2013 at 10:52

jimbob's tip of the week. (from experience) - have a good nights sleep before an LSR -= fun enjoyable relaxing spiritual long run.

Bad nights sleep = grumpy features for the next 2 days!

btw not so sure about carb "loading" - but if you are the kind of person who doesn't eat that much carbs like me then it's adviseable to have a few more carbs in your meal than you usually would the night before, plus some porridge before you set off - plus i benefit of quoffing some carbs within 30 minutes of getting back from the long run.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.