Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

9,461 to 9,480 of 19,627 messages
12/02/2013 at 11:07

Carb loading is probably a bad term. The way I see it is do what you would prior to your long runs. Your long training runs should be used as practice for race day. I always eat a carb based meal the night before my long runs.

The last thing you should be doing before the race is introducing new things to your diet, be that the night before, race morning or in race refuelling. I'm pretty sure at least one person last year who had an apartment cooked their own meal the night before to ensure it was exactly what they eat when training.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 11:08
12/02/2013 at 11:15

That would be me

Risotto round our gaff again this year if anybody wants any....

12/02/2013 at 11:21

mmm lemon chicken n rocket risotto with a dash of parmesan

12/02/2013 at 11:24

Now you lot are just making me hungry!

12/02/2013 at 11:28

spaghetti bologneighhhhh anybody?

12/02/2013 at 16:15
Dannirr wrote (see)

My worst out-of-control period is between dinner (supper) and bed.  So if I have my protein shake about an hour after dinner, it satisfies my "hunger" and chocolate craving and I don't go nuts on other stuff.  

Me and thee both!

I'll give that a try.  At the moment I'm trying to quash cravings like that by going for a walk for half hour.  By that time I'm either over it or I've more or less earned it!

12/02/2013 at 16:26

Hi Everyone. Just thought I'd come and say hello. I'm running Paris with you all in April. I had a go last year but didn't get the time I was after so having another go this year.  Looking forward to hearing eveyone's chat.

12/02/2013 at 16:59

Sarah, Welcome on board. Hopefully we will get the time you want this year.

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
12/02/2013 at 17:03
Had 3 days resting up my calf, just spending a hour each day stretching hoping to try a gentle run tomorrow
12/02/2013 at 17:37
Are you still running in Wrexham on Sunday?
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
12/02/2013 at 17:39
Yes still planning on doing Wrexham think my OH tho is thinking of missing it
12/02/2013 at 20:18

Sarah - Welcome to the thread. What time are you chasing?

Well I managed to go for a very slow run and didn't die, so I'm counting that as progress!

12/02/2013 at 20:41
Dirty Leeds Rob wrote (see)
Dannirr wrote (see)

My worst out-of-control period is between dinner (supper) and bed.  So if I have my protein shake about an hour after dinner, it satisfies my "hunger" and chocolate craving and I don't go nuts on other stuff.  

Me and thee both!

I'll give that a try.  At the moment I'm trying to quash cravings like that by going for a walk for half hour.  By that time I'm either over it or I've more or less earned it!

DLR and Dannirr - score another for that out-of-control period... What protein shakes do you guys use?

8 weeks - and it'll all be over!

12/02/2013 at 20:42

Eggy - I'm looking forward to actually making the carb-loading dinner at the Champs Elysee pasta place on time this year. Hopefully! 

12/02/2013 at 20:43
Eggy - any run where you don't die is progress .

Lots of new folks on the thread in the last few days - hello all! I've just 'outed' a new colleague at work who, it transpires, is running Paris for the third time this year. We're having lunch on Friday to talk tactics.

Dave and Mrs Dave - what calf problems do you have? If it's torn muscles, I e had good experiences with ultrasound - seems to speed up the healing process. Then again it might just be witchcraft. Hard to tell.

Gentle saunter this evening with my Paris buff pulled up over my nose to keep the cold air out. Worked quite well, although they now call me the Masked Bandit of Blackheath.
12/02/2013 at 21:07

Hi everyone.  I'm just a plodder, aiming for 4.30, never quite reached it. This is my 4th Marathon and really want to finish with a 4 in front!  My training is going well this year so I'm starting to think I'll do it.  It is so nice to be excited about doing a Marathon instead of dreading it. 

12/02/2013 at 21:14
I meant to post this earlier - I found it on the Paris site, under 'relive 2012'. It's from a description of the atmosphere at the start line:

'The entire world runs in Paris, more than one hundred nationalities. In reading the names printed on the numbers, one allows his or her imagination to wander. Amy and Alex are from Edinburgh. They have a joyful Scottish accent that is hard to understand. Next to them, Matteo and Luca, Romanian by birth and soul, try out their French, hoping to meet girls. The international dimension of the Marathon de Paris is evident. Do not forget that 40% of the participants are not French???'

hard to understand?

The whole thing is worth a read - it starts with a description of the north wind hitting the thighs of the runners...

http://www.parismarathon.com/marathon/2013/us/r1_recit_depart.html
Edited: 12/02/2013 at 21:17
12/02/2013 at 21:26

Hi Sarah - welcome back. As memory serves me you finished in 5:12
No, I'm not stalking you - you made an appearance in the Thread Finishers video last year, fast forward to 7:47 for your 10 seconds of fame

IM2 I was one of those people leaving pasta papas with a full belly, just as you arrived. I'm sure you'll make it this year

RR - my physio gave me bit of ultrasound ( I'm not pregnant, apparently) but he was quite frank in telling me that it may help a little but it's no miracle cure. Rest was the answer. A slight pull, 1-2 weeks. Strain or slight tear, 2-3 weeks. Bad tear, 6 weeks.

Went out for a pyramid session tonight. Didn't manage to hit target times but didn't collapse either.

YM - when do you go skiing?

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 21:33
12/02/2013 at 21:33

Orbutt - through the tunnel Friday night, drive down overnight, arrive Saturday lunchtime....just in the middle of Packing Hell...

12/02/2013 at 21:41

Sarah - Here's to you hitting your target. Good to hear someone on here's training is going well this year.

RR - I don't think I do much for the easy to understand Scottish accent, but counter it in France with lots of pointing at things and looking confused! I think I'm the only person ever in Paris to be asked "Please, speak English" when attempting French.

Orbutt - I just rewatched that video. Great memories, but it also highlights just how far behind last years condition I am this year.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 21:44
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.