Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

9,621 to 9,640 of 19,627 messages
15/02/2013 at 21:30

Kaz - Sounds like your enjoying your new bike. I'll be a back marker this year too. Most of my runs have been 10.xx m/m average pace, with my faster runs being 9:20-ish.  I've not managed a single 8:xx m/m average pace on any run this year, never mind the 7:xx average I was knocking out on my faster runs last year.

Emmy - Good luck with your run this weekend.

RS - Sounds like you're heading in the right direction. Have a safe trip.

RR - I always find race pace type runs to be a harder in training. Must be the adrenaline on the day, but I tend to look at my PB's and wonder how I managed to do that pace over the distance most of the time!

15/02/2013 at 21:39
Jumbob - you don't want to move to the Pink pen, that's the 4:30 pen. If you're in Grey and you want to move up one then I think you'll want to go to Green.

Weedy. They have bouncers on the entrances to the pens checking the colour of the flag on your bib and they're quite keen. If you want to move pens then do it at the expo, it's easy to do.

RS - have fun
15/02/2013 at 21:50

oh yeah - Green's where its at. Have to see how we go anyhow.

15/02/2013 at 22:22
16 mile run this afternoon , it was the nicest weather I've run in for ages , god I hate running in the Scottish winter , no hat, no gloves but now got a splitting headache from lack of fluids , two hours twenty without any water , so I must remember next time ,,,, fluids and jelly babies
Dark Vader    pirate
15/02/2013 at 22:25

ok..  it's gonna happen...  finally..  after months...  on Sunday, I shall run again...

remember...  out on the trails, no one can hear you scream...   

15/02/2013 at 22:30

Cheers Orbutt. I'll see where I'm at nearer the time.

15/02/2013 at 23:20

8 miles tonight with 6 at MP - amazing considering the expansive lunch I had to celebrate a friends birthday left me feeling rather Pickwikian. The desert shown below was superb and I think provided the main source of fuel for my run

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/698298/gallery/desert.jpg?width=350

15/02/2013 at 23:45

That looks awesome.

Dark Vader    pirate
16/02/2013 at 08:13

Perfect fuelling..  

16/02/2013 at 08:35
That looks sooooo good Dannirr......... Shame it would just send me in hunt of bushes!!

Sqats, lunges, squats, lunges, all with kettlebell.........my arms ache but finished off my morning with a 45 min run @ 9.45/mm.........need my bed again now!!

Tomorrow afternoon I am going to try 15k, I did 10 last Sunday... Alan off work so if all goes wrong he's only a phone call away.

Hungry now!
16/02/2013 at 08:42
Mmmmmmm that looks good.

Steady progress there Kaz. Well done.

I'm going to try a gentle run today before deciding on tomorrow's half.
Car hunting today. The old Peugeot is in a bad way and wouldn't stand a chance of passing an MOT. Bit like me.
wi
16/02/2013 at 08:43
Good luck DV

My dreadmill is working. Yay!!! It survived our move to Poland. I finally managed to unclutter it (MIL covered it with some weird stuff, dry beans and some dry flowers involved) and use it instead of risking broken legs on those icy roads.

Re: race etiquette. Do not pee while still in your pen. I remember three years ago, the green pen was packed and that 'lady' just squatted in the middle of everything and pee on the curb.

I'm so jealous guys. I wish I could be there again.
16/02/2013 at 14:04

Yummy icecream....I had chinese last night -   not so sure...!

Thankfully rest day for me, got 24k to do tomorrow - typical, it's the nicest day we've had in yonks - what's the betting it's peeing it down tomorrow.

ha ha on the peeing in the pen.  In Rome, just about every bloke in my pen was piddling and didn't give a hoot.  last time I was in Paris I managed a pee before I got in the pen, behind two cars, me and about 30 others!!   the line for the portaloos was way toooo long.

Good luck to everyone for LSR tomorrow.

16/02/2013 at 14:16

re drinks, I carry a wrap around wrist bottle with water/powerade in and belt with jelly babies/gels, i'm tempted with a camelback (got one for ski-ing) as I drink loads but the sloshing about makes me feel sick and it's heavy, so I have decided not to. In 2007 it was SOOO hot and us slow plods at the back didn't have anything to drink as the tables had been cleared  thankfully I met my hubby a couple of times to refill my bottle.

I'm really hoping it's not going to be hot as I really want to beat my 2007 effort!!

16/02/2013 at 14:43

I have to admit to pen peeing last year!

I managed my 18 mile very very slow long run this morning in a hellish 11 minute mile average pace, That was really tough. My legs felt ok, but my groin was giving me some grief from about mile 11 onwards. Not helped when I drank too fast causing me to cough that sent a shooting pain across my lower abdomen. Glad to have that one done and dusted. Currently putting the trusty frozen peas to good use and resting up.

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 14:44
16/02/2013 at 15:18
Well done on the run eggy , it doesn't seem that long ago u weren't running at all and now ur up to 18 mile runs ,

not too sure about pen peeing , my girlfriend is coming to watch me off , I don't thknk I would look too adorable peering in public , are the porta loos really that busy or just not many of them available ?
16/02/2013 at 15:22

Scott - There's very few portaloos about. You can make use of one the burger places toilets on the Champs Elysée before going into the pen. Even those where queued out with runners. Maybe the French never need to pee!

16/02/2013 at 15:27

Lots of men use a disposable water bottle in the pen - then ditch it to the side. Arguably a bit more discreet.   No matter how many times I peed before a long run I always need to go again at about 3 miles - not sure what's up with that.

We have booked the Splendid Etiole - same hotel as last year. About a quater mile from the start and a half mile from the finish.  Now I need to sort out the air tickets.

16/02/2013 at 15:29

I think that was one of Trickys top tips from last year Dannirr. Along with never pick up what looks like a full Lucozade Sport bottle in the starting pens!

16/02/2013 at 15:37
Eggy thanks for the warning , I usually have to go a couple of times before I run
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.