Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

9,661 to 9,680 of 19,627 messages
17/02/2013 at 16:41
Orbs, its always a good time when there be beer at the end!
17/02/2013 at 16:45

Hi everyone. Back from a little break on the Olde Island and back now in the land of chocolate and beer. Haven't read back but I I se on this page a cracking new HM PB from Simon - wow - 4 mins something off is excellent.  For all those struggling on your long runs and feeling like you are expiring in the last couple of miles - well done - keep up the good work. It is supposed to be tiring.  This deep fatigue is an indicator you are training properly.  It is the stress to your body that prepares the way for adaptation (aka - getting stronger). So be reassured, not worried.  If your long runs were feeling easy all the time - well that would be a reason for concern.

Got in a couple of runs in the UK including a very icy run up and over one of the Moors in Chesterfield. There was a road on the top which was just compacted ice and I was wibbly-wobbling all over the place as I hadn't taken trail shoes with me. Thankfully, very little traffic.

Had my first outing in SHORTS today which always feels lovely. A sign that good things are to come. Almost 22km, taking it pretty to steady to begin with but pressed on a bit in the final third (Strava always counts waiting time and I met someone in the parc who wanted tochat about my dog*). Nice to clock a HM time of 1:33:26 on the watch and maybe an indicator that I can perhaps turn up my training intensity a notch. I'd like to add a bit of base mileage so I have the platform for adding some LT stress.

*It's a doubly nice feeling seeing my Border Collie curled up in a ball, tired out. This almost never happens

Anyway, nice to be back. Have I missed anything important?

Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
17/02/2013 at 17:20
Just seen the results no wonder Denis was happy at the finish
Dark Vader    pirate
17/02/2013 at 17:28
36 miles for me today in 7:09. First proper run since November and it was more of an effort than it should have been. Having said that, it was a tough course and mostly uphill. I feel fine and am still without injury or blisters. I think my experiment with the hoka's, no orthotics, high protein, low carb diet and mostly liquid fuelling have come to a natural conclusion now. This works and minimalist running is the way forward for me..
It's been a good day...
17/02/2013 at 17:48

Dark Vader - that's awesome!!! Well done you!

Half marathon PB for me today - recorded 1:42:26 on my watch so I'm delighted (my previous PB of 1:47:12 was set in 2008 while training for my first marathon & I haven't touched it since). Very happy indeed, especially after a really tough session last week where my 20 miler felt hard all the way.

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 17:48
17/02/2013 at 17:49

Anyone looking for a Paris Marathon entry? I have two I can no longer use.

17/02/2013 at 17:56

DV you are a monster as ever. 21.4 for me at the Buttermere round in 2:35. A respectable outing and a course PB by a whisker- 1 second faster than last year!

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 18:05
17/02/2013 at 17:57
Nice one DV, that's some going after such a long layoff.

TD - you take the dog for walk and throw in a 1:33 HM??
Welcome back!

Well done Clag. Did you do Kinloss - Lossiemouth?
17/02/2013 at 17:59
And 1 second is a long time OO! Well done.
17/02/2013 at 18:07

Very promising clag, racing and hard training don't mix, but this will pay off as you wind down to race day.

17/02/2013 at 18:14
I did Simon. Were you there?
ATM
17/02/2013 at 18:15

+1 for all that's been said, PC and James. This is the hardest part of the training and you're aiming to be prepared at the Start...not for the runs you did, tired, some 7 weeks before. Tomorrow's the start of a new week.

And well done, all the racers! What a lift, Simon and Clag.If today's weather was inspiring, you're going to love the Paris spring. *Where are you, Denis? 'sounds as if you had a great day out, too. *

A 36 mile comeback....It's tiring just to think about it.I'm off for a lie down,DV.

ATM
17/02/2013 at 18:19
Clag - yes i was there. Really enjoyed it. And the stovies and doughnuts afterwards. Mmmm.
17/02/2013 at 18:35

Well done all, sounds like some impressive running today.

17/02/2013 at 18:39

Simon, Clag - Well done on the PB's

DV - Awesome as always!

TD - Amazing half  marathon time..........in a training  run!

Nice running RR/TJB.

Finished work at 1pm today, and headed out as soon as!! Think spring or maybe our summer has arrived - 11 degrees 10.6 miles D&D all very slow but quite a consistent pace. Never had any water with me today, and learnt that working from 7-1, and only having 2 mugs of green tea was not clever fuelling for my run. Stopped by mums for some water but in future I think I need to prepare slightly better!

17/02/2013 at 18:43
Simon and Clag - well done both. Although...you were on foot, weren't you? Simon's new car wasn't involved at any point ?

DV - I really don't fancy the high protein low carb thing but it certainly seems to be working for you. Good effort.

OO - a course PB's a course PB .

TD - shorts? Madman .
17/02/2013 at 19:00
Great running Simon, Clag, TD.

Also Orbutt - great 26k, well up there. You sorted now, injury wise?

Brighton Half today - perfect weather and I'm sure there were many speedy times. Not from me I fear but really enjoyed it. My sister was 10 mins ahead of me - and this was supposed to be the race I was going to pace her to a sub-2. She caned it in 1hr52 - and I went over 2hrs!
17/02/2013 at 19:01
Also - great running OO, TJB and RR - and all the rest I missed!
17/02/2013 at 19:04
Cheers orbutt. Some good running today. 36 miles dv that is impressive.
17/02/2013 at 19:14
RR - I think I might be able to run faster than my new car with it's tincy, wincy wee engine.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.