Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

9,681 to 9,700 of 19,622 messages
17/02/2013 at 19:18
I have met Dave today!!! His avatar doesn't do him justice
We actually from the same club.

I am recovering from Wrexham half marathon (hot bath waiting). I haven't seen the results butI am happy with my race. I have 7 weeks to get some speed in my legs
17/02/2013 at 19:25

Tough long run for me yesterday morning, just one of those where things just seemed harder, but 21 miles in the bag nonetheless. 

I'm always keen to get up early and have my long run out of the way on a Saturday morning, usually getting out the door for 6am. Yesterday was no exception and I was away whilst it was still dark. After the lovely weather on Friday I left the house thinking it'd be glorious sunshine within an hour into the run. Well the sun had come up, but I also noticed that both my hair and eyebrows had frozen by 7am, it really didnt feel THAT cold!

Moral of the story; be lazy and have a lie-in!

On the subject of long runs, how nice is the feeling when you finally get it? It's like a 'glow'; job done, rest, food, drink. relax.....until it all starts again on Monday!

17/02/2013 at 19:43
I'll have you know my avatar is the famous Parisian lover, Cyrano de Bergerac

I'm so pleased Denis is happy.... 35th o/a would make me happy !
17/02/2013 at 19:59

DV - well done! 

Welcome back TD

Well done all those PB's and all the long runs.

I managed 18 miles today at 9.39.  Cold but sunny. Last 5 miles were a bit of a struggle - not sure why. Now to put the feet up and watch a movie - The Sessions.

17/02/2013 at 20:05

Spring is in the air and the thread is getting speedy, Paris must be just around the corner. Well done to everyone running today be it racing, crazy distances or just out training (I say just, 1:33 for a half is not 'just').

Bedders I wish I had the motivation to get out of bed at that time, I'm normally lucky to be heading out for my run by midday! I do so like to sleep.

I tried something new on my long run today. It was just 11 miles so nothing like some of the distances people are doing here but it's long for me at the moment. Anyway I ran the last third with increasing speed and finishing with a flat out sprint. It felt pretty good to be honest. 

17/02/2013 at 21:11
HS - Good going. It's a good sign if you can finish strong like that.

Bedders - That's early alright. If I'm out the door for 9am for my long runs I'm happy.
17/02/2013 at 22:03
IM2 - all fingers crossed but the calf has been behaving itself so any aches and pains are of a good type

Denis, sounds like you knocked it out the park. Congrats
17/02/2013 at 22:30

Well done all. Sounds like a good weekend all round.

Orbutt - Blackpool Half on Wednesday? I must have made a mistake???

Last week's was.......

.....long pause like what they do on the telly to create artificial tension......

.....and a bit more of a pause to turn the tension into a dramatic reveal.....

.....Marathon Man, starring Dustin Hoffman.

Feb 20: Blackpool Half - Orbutt.
Feb 23: Standish Hall Trail Race - DLR. Tarpley 20 - Megs.
Feb 24: Malta Marathon - Emmy.
Mar 3: Brugge-Oostende 10-mile - Emmy. Hogweed Hill Half - Straycelt. Paris Half - ATM. Silverstone Half - Jimbob, Megs. St David's Day 10k - Yer Maj. Surrey Spitfire 20 - Tiddy.
Mar 9: Regent's Park 10k - RR.
Mar 10: Loch Katrine Half - Eggy.
Mar 17: Liverpool Half - James B, Orbutt. Reading Half - Jimbob.
Mar 18: St Anne's 10-miler - DLR.
Mar 23: Coniston 14 - Iain M. Thames Path Ultra - DV.
Mar 24: Brentwood Half - NGUG. Forest of Dean Half - Ward. Harewood House 10k - DLR. Hastings Half - Tiddy. Lexington Half - Straycelt.
Mar 25: Warsaw Half - Wiol.
Mar 30: Crete De Spa Half - Emmy. Dallas Half - Straycelt.
Apr: London-Paris-London: DV.
Apr 7: Paris Marathon - Ben, Damon, Captain Freedom.
Apr 14: Edinburgh Rock N Roll Half - Helterskelter.
Apr 21: Antwerp Marathon - Emmy. Great Welsh Marathon - Malcs. London Marathon - Eggy, Straycelt.
Apr 28: Chirk Sprint Tri - Dave The Ex Spartan.
May 4: Bewl Marathon - Emmy.
May 5: Mont St Michel Marathon - Princess Fi. Richmond Half - Tiddy. Richmond Marathon - Emmy.
May 6: Milton Keynes Marathon - Emmy.
May 11: Kintyre Way Ultra - ATM. Mallorca IM70.3 - Engineer.
May 12: Great Ethiopian Run half - RR.
May 26: Edinburgh Marathon - Tiddy. Mull of Kintyre Half - Helterskelter.
May 27: London 10k - Jimbob.
Jun 8: Luxembourg Marathon - Emmy.
Jun 9: Bala Half Ironman - Dave The Ex Spartan.
Jun 15/16: South Downs Way Ultra - DV.
Jun 23: Shrewsbury Half - Yer Maj. Torbay Half - Jimbob.
Jun 29: Giants Head Trail Marathon - Emmy.
Jul 8: Paris Tri - RR.
Jul 14: Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
Jul 16-18: Badwater Ultra - DV.
Jul 16-22: In The Long Run (Bratislava to Brussels) - TD.
Jul 27-28: Thunder Run - Malcs.
Jul 28: Ironman Switzerland - Engineer.
Aug 3: The Devil O The Highlands Ultra - Kaz.
Aug 5: Dublin Half - Straycelt.
Aug 10: North Downs Way Ultra - DV.
Sep 7: Medoc Marathon - DV.
Sep 9: Bala Olympic Triathlon - Dave The Ex Spartan.
Sep 15: Great North Run - Iain M, Jimbob, RS, Tiddy..
Sep 21-22: Cotswolds 102m ultra - DV.
Sep 22: Ladybower 35 - RR.
Sep 29: Berlin Marathon - DLR, Emmy, Iain M, Jimbob, Kaz, Neil B, Orbutt, RS, Suzy M, Tiddy.
Oct 6: Cardiff Half - Yer Maj.
Oct 8: Jersey Marathon - Princess Fiona.
Oct 26: Beachy Head Marathon - Yer Maj.
Oct 27: Frankfurt Marathon - Emmy.
Nov 3: New York Marathon - Tiddy.
Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
Dec 27: Wiol's birthday.
Dec 31: TD's birthday.
Jan 3: OO's birthday.
Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
Jan 19: DV's birthday.
Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.

17/02/2013 at 23:02
Weedy - Marathon Man, eh? One of my favourites...

Also, can you drop me in for the Ponteland Half Marathon, March 10th?

Cheers.
18/02/2013 at 00:21

Georgia Half for me Mar 17th

18/02/2013 at 07:41

Weedy - should be Feb 24th (next Sunday )

18/02/2013 at 07:43

Woke up feeling great this morning, although a little heavy legged but all fine now after my 4 mile recovery run.

TD - If doing cycling instead of running on some days, do I just cycle for the duration that the run would of taken???

The countdown is on..........after today 3 more shifts!!!

18/02/2013 at 08:09

Hey Kaz wish I had a like button - 3 more? you could do that standing on your head

18/02/2013 at 08:26

Kaz - I've always found that cycling takes nothing like the same out of you as running. It probably depends what you want from the cycling session, but I think intensity rather than duration would be a greater factor. Although as your coming back after your operation you might be safer just to help keep the cardio fitness up and go by time on the bike.

18/02/2013 at 08:34

Eggy - I went for intensity the other day, legs felt really hammered, but in a good way, at the end!!  With all the hills around here, its easy to g!et the intensity in!! Maybe I should go for a mix - intervals on a bike one day and duration  another?

Dark Vader    pirate
18/02/2013 at 09:06

kaz..  years ago, I did more than a few mara's without any run training at all and just used bike work...  its well worth a go..   if you can get a turbo trainer, look on ebay for the Tough Love Spinervals DVD...  this was the backbone of my training at that time..  its a very tough 3 hour bike workout but is ideally suited for the cardio required for running...   as Eggy said, its the intensity that is the crucial factor, not the duration... so...  a tough 30 minute session will be worth more to you than a leisurely 2 hour dawdle...

18/02/2013 at 09:14

Thought a mid-week event seemed odd Orbutt

Iain - I'm at Ponteland as well - see you there.

Kaz - training sounds like it's going well. Enjoy the last few days at work. Do you get to take a board game in on the last day?

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 09:25
18/02/2013 at 09:47

Sorry, been AWOL for a while. House selling/hunting, work gone crazy and a dozen other things. As a result I've had to rein in my forum activity so I've been focused on supporting Shady Ady on his 26.2 journey to Paris thread.

Haven't had time yet to read back. Is everyone who was on the bench back to fitness yet?

Kaz - from Weedy's post it sounds like you got that job, is that right? Are you back running now too?

DV - apologies if you've already been asked this but what's the theory behind the high protein, low carb diet? I always thought you had to up your carbs for distance training.

Weedy - forgot to say before, I'm doing Surrey Spitfire 20 on 3rd March (see you there Tiddy) and Yorkshire marathon on 20th October .

18/02/2013 at 10:41
Spring is here! Saw my first daffs of 2013 out yesterday. 15 miles done in 2.20 - happy enough with that.

Love this time of year - favourite time for runs in the country
wi
18/02/2013 at 11:19
No sign of Spring in here. Snowing all day long and I abe my LSR today
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.