Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

9,701 to 9,720 of 19,627 messages
18/02/2013 at 11:23

Morning all,

Wow, some impressive weekend running seems to be had by all. Well done those that set new PB's.

I managed a 22miler on Saturday which almost brought me to my knees. A case of water bottles still having a trace of washing up liquid in them and making me feel a bit  therefore not taking on enough fluid and avoiding gels in the second half. Definitely felt good to get through it though and leaves me with only 2 long runs left to go before tappering.

Legs were even good enough for a leisurely 6-7mile dog walk on the Sunday!

18/02/2013 at 11:31
Where's here Wi?

The Garden of England was looking gorgeous yesterday. About 5 degrees, little wind, and sunny. Perfect

Trevor - Washing up liquid and 22 miles doesn't sound a good mix!
18/02/2013 at 11:53

Sounds grim Trevor...22 miles is impressive going

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/727962/gallery/fairy_liquid.jpg?width=350

18/02/2013 at 12:01

Johnny - it definitely didnt mix well!

Ta Weedy - makes me feel loads better about it

wi
18/02/2013 at 12:04
Johnny - Eastern Poland
18/02/2013 at 12:15
Haha no wonder!!
18/02/2013 at 12:52
TD - house selling/hunting?
18/02/2013 at 13:22

Monday morning reset button pressed.  A big week of mileage ahead for me for a change. After yesterday 21 miles LSR in the sunshine (13 with RR) i'm a bit more cheery today than i was this time last week! Got me race pack from Silverstone so "racing season" is upon me and it's been nice catching up on the telephonic communicator with some of my pals who run the halves with me.

18/02/2013 at 13:49

Well done to you all - great results you guys....

Sun was out and yesterday's run was fab.  22k, 2h14 mins, so I was (slow) happy, and a lot of uphills too. 

Off for a short 5k today, the sun is still out, however the temp is dropping again and there is a "promise" of snow at the weekend - might get those chains used yet...yeah.

Signed up for a half in two weekends time, then it's Paris, then 1 May canal 18k race in Montauban and then then 3 rocs (Saint Antonin Noble Val) on 9 May.  I am a busy runner this year...hope I survive.

Happy week everyone

18/02/2013 at 15:47

No running for me today- I can barely walk actually

ATM
18/02/2013 at 15:47

Poor Trev...but the  Fairy Liquid  bit did make me laugh. Another of Weedy's classic posters added to the Who's Who 2013   Any more photos for our Gallery? I'd like to make a slideshow of them, sometime....( jpeg and details to me, please, and I'll add you. )

16 lovely k for me, this morning....BUT I must learn to take bearings/read a compass and stop relying on my pal's map-reading skills.'Cos when she's not there... Today wasn't so much 'off-road' as' well off path'..I misread the map and ended up at the sort of farm last seen in Withnail and I...I never did get to my intended destination but I did get a lovely run in remote farmland.It was a beautiful sunny day , down in the valley...and absolutely Baltic up on the hills.Farm tracks still frozen over and a prevailing wind from...errr...Canada (?). I may be too stupid for trail running. (500 yards off the right path and forced to retrace my steps about 5 miles.) Now that I've looked more closely at the OS map , it's all clear. Why didn't I do that before setting off?  On the plus side,I won't have to navigate in Paris.

Onetit, do you run on roads down there or go cross-country?

ATM
18/02/2013 at 16:30

ATM - lol, at least you got a run in!

Weedy - Soooooooo funny!

Trevor -Sounds Indeed.

Malc - Yes I got the job, and start next Monday. I am also back running(if I can call it that), very slow and very carefully.

DV - Thanx for that. My brother has a turbo that isn't being used, I must just 'aquire'  it!! Which may prove difficult - He's in Manchester and the turbo is locked in his house here.......... But I will work on intensity and include lots of hills in the mix

Dark Vader    pirate
18/02/2013 at 16:49

Kaz...   here..    http://www.spinervals.com/products/item26.cfm

I had quite a few different spinervals DVD's and can highly recommend them...

18/02/2013 at 18:00

Kaz - that's great news on both fronts, congratulations! I'm sure you'll get back up to speed in no time. 

ATM - I've made the same error running the streets of South East London and I had sign posts to follow! At least out in the open you have a good excuse for straying off course.

18/02/2013 at 18:37

Medical certificate sorted, and no charge. (My doctor is a marathon runner).

ATM - remind me never to go running with you. 'We may be gone some time'...

18/02/2013 at 18:48

Off to play a volleyball match. This could hurt. My legs have all the spring of a granite block.

18/02/2013 at 19:10
Dannirr. Sorry old fella, it is Malcs doing the house/ job hunting. Am staying firmly put.

DV, anyone who is able to ride an indoor bike for 3 hours clearly has something wrong with them. Like a part of their brain has become detached or a bizarre genetic mutation in the DNA, rendering them into a trance like state of leg spinning without either breathing or conscious thought, some sort of rotating hibernation state. Not for me. I'm made of lesser stuff.
18/02/2013 at 19:23
ATM - it's the navigation that worries me more about ultra running than the distance. I'm not great at it at the best of times, but the thought of taking a wrong turning 30 miles or so into a race - aargh! Which is why m next long race will be round a reservoir .

Training question, for anyone really, but particularly those who've used P&D. My long run this weekend is for 15 miles, with 12 at marathon pace. The question is, do I do the 12 miles all together, or split them up? I was thinking of 1 mile warm up, 6 at mp, 1 mile easy, 6 more at mp, 1 mile easy. My reasoning is that I reckon I'd get more benefit from two quality sections than try to do it all at once and fade at the end. Or would that be cheating. Thoughts?
Dark Vader    pirate
18/02/2013 at 19:28

TD..   ermm..  I actually have done Tough Love back to back (6 hours!) - twice!     

The time goes quite quickly I think..  I used it in the 'music off' mode as it was otherwise very annoying, so I'd ride with my own music...    

18/02/2013 at 20:15
I did Tough Love once. I tried a second time but she said no.

Quartet - lovely movie
Edited: 18/02/2013 at 20:15
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.