Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

81 to 100 of 19,627 messages
06/08/2012 at 22:34
TD: Alcohol my friend. Alcohol is the social lubricant of fluent second language acquisition. My parents-in-law ALWAYS comment on the fluency of my German when I am absolutely, totally, thoroughly blotto. Sadly this can't happen very often given drug intake...
06/08/2012 at 23:04

My only serious effort at barefoot running was on a beach in Florida a few years ago. It was only when I had finished that I realised in the heat I'd seriously burn't my feet. They blistered up and I suffered for a week.

Not sure about the marathon Tricky but NY is running city- just training in Central Park is fantastic.

Did somebody mention cakes

06/08/2012 at 23:11

I can't afford the NYC marathon either - I'd love to do it though, (despite TD's warnings...)

Eggy - looking forward to hearing about Chicago - when is it, when'd you get the place?

I don't think I'll be able to stretch to many more far-flung marathons for a year or two though - it may be the Sunderland Marathon next year, if I don't get London place!

06/08/2012 at 23:21

Iain - The Chicago marathon is on October 7th. I got the place in February. Entered as soon as the ballot opened. It sold out in about a week this year.

I know what you mean about the costs, between that and Paris I've been pretty skint all year saving up to pay for it all.

Edited: 06/08/2012 at 23:21
07/08/2012 at 05:47

Morning all,

I had been planning on the New York marathon but cost and the time of year is a major set back( can't really take the kids out of school for any length of time in November??) so we are now going to New York in April 2014 and my BF is planning on taking me to Chicago for the marathon in October 2014. He is already saving!!! I think I am going to be skint for the forseeable future!!!! What really stunned me was the girls saying ' we don't mind not having treats mum, were going to be having amazing holidays!!!'

We, apparently, had 24.6mm of rain in 6hours yesterday. It was unreal. I have postponed my morning run in the hope that things will be drier later And to be honest its a tempo run and there is no way my legs will do tempo this morning - they ache just going up the stairs

07/08/2012 at 10:32

Last night wasn't great on the track or field (but I still really enjoyed being there ).  Val (NZ's big hope for anothe gold) couldn't match Belarus in the shotput and got silver, Bleasdale dropped out very early in the pole vault (it's amazing how much they all miss BUT her boyfriend proposed afterwards which is super sweet) and Dai got 4th by a TINY margin.  Got to see Bolt get his 100m medal though   The steeplechase was quite bizare though.  Masses of neon shoes, again!  Managed to find a spot in Park Live to watch the gold win in the show jumping (mental how high though jumps are) and first few sprint rounds.  My time at the olympic park is done. Tonight it's the HUGE BIG MASSIVE boys weight lifting!  Will be VERY different.  They will be lifting so much the bar will bend

Should go for a run today...might go watch the triathlon instead

07/08/2012 at 10:33

oh yeah...and the start for the NY marathon is supposed to be very unpleasant if you're on the bottom of the bridge.  I'd still like to do it though...

07/08/2012 at 11:03

I would still love to do it too RS, but think I might need to wait a while for the 'Get out of jail free card'!!!

07/08/2012 at 12:08

I have to say that the NY marathon doesn't appeal.  Visiting the city does, however, so I could be an entourage?

Current plan is to do Paris and Berlin next year and possibly Copenhagen and Amsterdam the following year...

07/08/2012 at 12:22

I must admit I'd still like to run New York at some point. It's one of my favourite places to visit and one of the races I've watched umpteen times thinking I'd love to do that. The marathon is just so bloody expensive though.

07/08/2012 at 12:28

Paris and Berlin for me next yr tooooo!!!! As for the following year, probably no spring marathon but a trip to NY instead and  then hopefully Chicago in the Autumn. Depending on funds I would like to do the Tromso Marathon.

07/08/2012 at 12:50

The Midnight Sun marathon in Tromso is a stunning event. I really regret the time I was out there I was spectating, not running. The middle of nowhere Norway ain't cheap though.

07/08/2012 at 13:02

From what I recall there's quite a bit of interest in Berlin next year - the 40th running. I'm up for it.

Also fancy Chicago the following year (hopefully grouped with VLM)

07/08/2012 at 13:03

It certainly ain't cheap Eggy, I have priced it before.

07/08/2012 at 13:07

Nothing in Norway is cheap.  Not even the hookers it seems.  Last time we were in Oslo, we were walking down a busy street back to our hotel.  I let go of a very drunk Mr Maj's hand for a mere moment to circumnavigate a crowd of people and in that time a local Lady managed to get hold of him and make him an offer.  The poor wee lamb was so horrified at the  number of Kroner that he would have to fork out that I had to take him back to the hotel for a lie down....

07/08/2012 at 13:11
Radar Sal wrote (see)

oh yeah...and the start for the NY marathon is supposed to be very unpleasant if you're on the bottom of the bridge.  I'd still like to do it though...

Urban Legend RadSal. Everyone is standing around for HOURS in the freezing cold before they get to run on the Verrazano Bridge. No reason at all to take a pee 5 mins into the race. Plus Americans are super-sensitive about getting their bits out in public; they just don't.

All I can say is that this race is so massively over-hyped and most people when they think of New York, they actually mean Manhattan, and then they mean from Central Park down into Lower Manhattan. And the race simply doesn't go anywhere near, apart from the last 3kms when it comes down from the north and tucks into Central park for the finish. And then you get the long walk and interminable waiting to get your clothes back (and in my case, something I could eat that didn't have gluten in). Loved NY, simply hated that race.

More importantly, COME ON Alastair and Johnny BROWNLEE. Give it some boys!

07/08/2012 at 13:16

Take him back for a lie down!!

In Paris I wandered off into what would appear to be some sort of red light district not far from the Sacre Coeur. Being a single male walking thorugh the area I was targeted for many a sales pitch, including for live sex shows. It's fair to say I'm sure as hell not paying to watch someone else get some when I'm not getting any.

07/08/2012 at 14:02
Yay Brownlees! But according to Matthew Pinsent on twitter 'Jonny horizontal, vomming under the stands. Ali "he's fine. The end of any tri is carnage"'.
07/08/2012 at 15:35

Back from Tri watching.  Great fun (for me...the competitors looked mothered)!  ended up watching the big screen with a few thousand others.  Was brilliant when the brownlees came in but quite a boo for the penalty on one of them (I can never remember which is which).  HUGE cheers at the end!  Tris are carnage!  Never done one and don't intend to especially after the tales I hear.  The swim is a full on fight (bless a male friend though that it wouldn't be like that in a female race), bike is tactical madness and the 10km is a battle to the finish.  Their skill on the 4th discipline (transition) was amazing.

Hmm....Berlin...when do entries for next year open?  As for NY, I'd still like to do it and great to hear the bridge is an urban legend.  Agree with TD about it not being in manhattan though.  I don't mind checking out the burbs.

07/08/2012 at 15:40

100 posts!

81 to 100 of 19,627 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.