Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

10,041 to 10,060 of 19,623 messages
ATM
25/02/2013 at 20:01

Bedders, if you'd like some stuff about the course...not about running...message me through the forum.Your ' Message Me' thingy is inactive so I have yet to bury you in details about the portaloos...

ATM
25/02/2013 at 20:03

I MUST learn to say no!!! Second run of the day completed, 8.5 miles making a total of 14.8 for today.

REST day tomorrow.

WI-  that doesn't sound good, to me it sounds like what my PF did when it started??

25/02/2013 at 20:34

Iain. For obscure Kurosawa knowledge, here's your prize....

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/727962/gallery/iain_m_resized.jpg?width=350

ATM's running out of high-res, quality pictures of you all. Best solution... send her your best running pictures forthwith.

ATM
25/02/2013 at 20:44

The best-looking are here, in the Who's Who  but there's room for more. No ( Northern cheapskate) low-res photos scanned from race websites, please

ATM
25/02/2013 at 20:59

Free Chimp for every reader...genuinely guffawing here...

25/02/2013 at 21:10
ATM - I don't think I'm hi-res in real life, let alone in photographs!

Wi - make sure you massage your calves. Problems with the sole of the foot can often be caused by knots in the calf muscles, which then cause the muscles in the lower leg to tighten, then it's the foot that gives way. If you find any knots in calf muscles, massage them with a tennis ball or similar until they go away. And stretch the calves too, especially if you've been wearing high heels before you run.

YM - I did that session last week - it's a barrel of laughs, isn't it? On paper it doesn't look too bad - after all, it should be possible to do 5k at, er, 5k pace, so doing it with breaks in between shouldn't be a problem. But add in the little matter of the rest of the 9 mile run, and it's a bit more of a challenge.

Weedy - I can't remember if you said what you did for a living but if it's not graphic design your talents are wasted .
25/02/2013 at 21:15

wi - I'm no wise man that's for sure but I have had pain in that area myself for some time. It may be something completely different so please feel free to ignore anything I'm saying here.

There are parts of the calf muscles (peroneus?) whose tendons loop round the ankle and run under the outer part of the sole of your foot. I had alot of tightness in my outer calf and this was causing pain in the area you described as it pulled on the tendon. As you said, using a tennis ball eased the pain quite significantly.

So maybe running on the snow you changed your gait slightly and over worked part of the calf? If it doesn't come back running in normal conditions I'd just forget about it.

As I said, I'm no expert, just relaying what happened to me.

Hopefully for you it's just a one-off. 

Oops - x-post with RR 

PS. for info - high heels were absolutely not a contributing factor in my case. I've worn them for years and had no issues whatsoever 

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 21:23
25/02/2013 at 21:17

Great cover Weedy.

I've no idea what my body is up to these days. I went out tonight and did 9 miles at 8:51 m/m average pace and felt pretty good with it. I wish it would make it's mind up if it's going to fall to bits or not.

25/02/2013 at 21:37

RR - Cheers. I didn't say what I did. It's not graphic design tho...

Wi - can't help I'm afraid. Altho it's maybe worth keeping up with the tennis ball massage each day even if you feel fine 

ATM - how's the mouth?

25/02/2013 at 21:40
Hopefully you've finally turned the corner Eggy.

Malcs, careful with the high heels. I have had to cut back to wearing them at weekends only.
25/02/2013 at 22:10
yer_maj wrote (see)

Free Chimp for every reader...genuinely guffawing here...

Me too! It's a cracker Weedy

25/02/2013 at 22:29
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
Kate/ Orbutt/ Rob of the North (BTW, great news about getting the Tour de France start in 2014. I assume you were an integral part of their winning offer!). Great to hear you talking about the book. It makes stuff that happens in your head so much simpler doesn't it. I feel a lot more calm and accepting of things. And purposeful.

Spot on about the change in outlook.

I wouldn't say I was instrumental in the decision to award.  Merely influential.

ATM wrote (see)

The best-looking are here, in the Who's Who  but there's room for more. No ( Northern cheapskate) low-res photos scanned from race websites, please

I may have a better version somewhere

25/02/2013 at 23:09

Weedy - superb cover, although no example for the front of Runner's World be I...

TD - TdF to Yorkshire in 2014 fab BUT Giro D'Italia 2014 to start in Belfast!! Can't quite believe it.

26/02/2013 at 07:01

Yes Iain - imagine that - someone proudly wearing pink clothing in Belfast

ATM
26/02/2013 at 08:51

The Gallery will be updated...

'Mouth's fine, Weedy, but I find the whole 'dentist' experience traumatic.I'm sorry I didn't wear my HRM for a true ' max' reading..Dentist X makes my heart race faster than any hill session.

In true cheapskate fashion, I'm waiting for the thread's potted version of the Chimp book. This week, I am mostly spending my bawbees on a trip to...

ATM
26/02/2013 at 09:02

The outer side of my right knee is hurting. Taking anti-inflams and resting for a few days. Hurts when I walk up or down the stairs. Think i may have hurt it a week ago when I was tired. From my research I believe it may be down to the hip flexor.

Just convincing myself that a few days rest will not hurt. I do believe someone mentioned that if you get to do at least 90% of the training schedule you are doing well.

Fingers crossed its not too bad.

Two steps forward one step back.

ATM
26/02/2013 at 09:30

Ah,that's better.

James, sit beside me on the Bench. We can share the ibuprofen..

ATM
26/02/2013 at 09:44
James B - Ouch. Is the pain in the soft tissue or the joint? Are you doing any stretches? One of the possibilities is the IT Band - give it a google and have a look at the stretches for it.
You could also try a foam roller - I use the Orange Roller of Doom from these guys http://tptherapy.com/shop/smrt-core-products/the-grid.html

Don't panic. You've got the fitness in your legs. You will need rest to heal properly and not giving yourself enough time will only set you back
26/02/2013 at 09:59
ATM - if I click on that link I get 'runtime error'. I've had a few of those (the Lochaber marathon 2002 springs to mind) but I don't think that's what you meant?

James B - a couple of days rest and rollering should help.

Entirely gratuitous day off here. Because a) I have too many holidays left and b) I'm fed up doing 12 mile runs after work. It feels very decadent. I shall saunter out soon.
ATM
26/02/2013 at 10:02

Thanks, RR.   Any better?

ATM
10,041 to 10,060 of 19,623 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.