Paris Marathon 2013

...and the beat goes on...

10,081 to 10,100 of 19,623 messages
26/02/2013 at 15:34

Bedders - that one's way knobblier than mine 

Emmy - the pictures from Malta looked great - the race report tells a quite different story - well done you for finishing. Another one in the Bank of Miles in Your Legs.

Oof that was hard work. It was supposed to be 12 miles with 7 at half mara pace, but I   really struggled to hit the pace. What should have been half pace felt more like 5k pace. It didn't help that there were a lot of tall builidings and bridges on the route, so my Garmin was all over the place. In the end I'm not sure I was running much faster than I did in my marathon pace run on Sunday. Mind you, that's my fifth day in a row - two days off now, hopefully that will freshen up the legs a bit. 

And as a little plus, when I went for my post-race sandwich, I discovered I was sitting next to Matthew Pinsent . I did my very best to look like a Proper Athlete, rather than a sweaty runner eating her lunch, but I'm not sure I managed to pull it off.

26/02/2013 at 15:35

oh, great TOTP 

26/02/2013 at 15:42

RR - I love that post! Did Matthew Pinsent say anything to you?

wi
26/02/2013 at 16:20

re vaseline

I used to use it until I came upon shea butter. So much better. It absorbs very quickly, doesn't leave greasy film on the skin, protects well and lasts for longer. Pure unrefined she butter. I don't use anything else now. Feet, dry lips, face, any spot where friction is expected

thank you for your input. Come to think about it, I did have a niggling painlike sensation in my right calf recently so it could be that. Just got myself DVD with Yoga for athletes. Will try to stretch more

26/02/2013 at 16:27

James B 73 - pin on the outside of the knee is typically related to a tight Illoitoibial Band - sometimes called ITB syndrome. It usually responds very well to some careful stretching. I'd encourage you to look it up on the googleysphere while you rest from running. Check that is what you have and with the stretching, you can make the rest really productive.

26/02/2013 at 18:43
James B 73 wrote (see)

Think I have seen those in the Ann Summers Shop

I'll have you ladies know that real men are not afraid to wear arm warmers.  And if they aren't then neither should I...

I did 5 miles today.  Yeah that's right.  Five of the big ones.  Enjoying running again now even if not yet completely pain free.

Thisvideo is quite useful for advice on different 'roller' products.  Doesn't cover the gimp roller on the previous page but it does recommend the quadballer.  I got one of those and it finds knots way better than even OROD/BROD.

26/02/2013 at 18:43
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Yes Iain - imagine that - someone proudly wearing pink clothing in Belfast

TD - love it.

ATM
26/02/2013 at 19:13

'Save Ulster From Sodomy!'...Remember that one...

ATM
Dark Vader    pirate
26/02/2013 at 21:07

ok..  all you Paris first-timers...    do you have any questions, concerns or freaking out over anything...?

Any marathon first-timers....  worried about anything...?   

Lots of advice here and we are all willing to share...   just ask..  

26/02/2013 at 21:53
DV, I'm just worried what pub we going to STRAIGHT after I cross the finish line. I am craving ice cold beers something rotten.
26/02/2013 at 22:00
Dv - total virgin....... Paris and a marathon.
26/02/2013 at 22:02
Hey DV! Thanks for your prompt. I am avidly reading all the posts and trying to pick up tips without finding too many things to get anxious about that I had not even considered! I want to know about distance markers. I think I read somewhere that there are mile markers as well as KM's. is that correct and is it every mile if so? I feel like I really need mile markers to judge my pace - or need to quickly start thinking in K's if not. My maths is not great!

I have to say that reading all your posts has really motivated me and I almost feel ready to confess to the world that this time it might just really happen for me after lots of failed attempts!

I am travelling on my own as I think that the responsibility of friends/family may be one thing too many for me (that may sound weird to others I guess!). Where would be good for Saturday night pasta? I am thinking 50 000 people will all be trying to get into a relatively small number of Italian restaurants around the Champs ??lys??es area?

Other than that I just need to make up my mind if I am running in Brooks Adrenaline or ASICS GT 2170 which probably may shock you that I didn't make that call weeks or months ago - oops.

Thanks for your support, Chris
26/02/2013 at 22:24

Chris -There are mile markers but the Km markers are a lot clearer. If you don't want to confuse yourself converting your pace into Km then I would recommend using a Pace Band. This is just a table of times against distance which I wear around my wrist during the race.

I think that you can get them at the Expo for some times but I've created one in Excel that has both mile and Km times on it, so when I pass a marker I can see the time I was supposed to be there and check it on my watch. Working in Kms malso means that you can see if you are drifting and correct it a little quicker.

If it's any use to you, I'll be running in Adrenaline's  - so you may want to pick the Asics so that we aren't wearing the same outfit

26/02/2013 at 22:32

Chris - As Orbutt says there are km and mile markers along the course. For the Saturday night keep your eye on this thread as there should be a forum pre-race meal or two on the Saturday evening. A good way to grab some food, meet folk and calm the nerves.

For shoes, what are you wearing on your long runs? If you tend to use one pair for those sessions I'd recommend using them. If you are alternating them then just pick the ones you prefer. Footwear is too personal a thing for someone else to make that call for you.

TJB - After last year I'm just keeping my fingers crossed the guys with the barbecues are hanging about the exit area on Avenue Foch again, as the steak baguettes they where cooking up last year had me drooling.

26/02/2013 at 22:44
Steak baguette, fried onions, mayonnaise and ice cold beer, god I'm obsessed! I've been treating my body like a temple for so long, need a few nights off.
26/02/2013 at 22:48

I've been treating my body like a temple too. I often bring it generous offerings!

26/02/2013 at 23:10

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/157400/gallery/imag0282_-_copy.jpg?width=350

COME ON!

26/02/2013 at 23:56

For marathon first timers I offer only one piece of advice: enjoy it. Forget about target times, and soak in the experience. There is nothing quite like crossing that finish line the first time   When I did the Disney marathon last month, as we were coming into the finish, an older chap (60-ish) just next to me started to cry. Big, huge gulping sobs. I didn't need to ask why - I gave him a big high-five and he grinned at me like a little kid, still with big tears running down his face. It was his first time.

27/02/2013 at 06:28
Eggyh73 wrote (see)

I've been treating my body like a temple too. I often bring it generous offerings!

Building on a theme...mine's more like a warehouse.

27/02/2013 at 06:37

Shattered.com

Really hard frost this morning again, so no run but I will get one done after work if my stumpies hold out that long. I think some of the steps in this town were made for giants!!

TJB - Thats organised!! I thought there was another 5.5 weeks to go

I must go and drink a gallon of strong coffee

10,081 to 10,100 of 19,623 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.